Is FAITH ALONE Enough?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One problem in many theologies is believing faith alone is enough for GOD. Peter criticized them for not growing further in the knowledge of Jesus and Christian living.

Read 2 Peter 1:5-11. How many people have heard a sermon on this passage. It should be brought from the platform every week during this critical time in history where so many false doctrines have been taught and believed! Those who believe faith alone is enough for God are lukewarm and God will spew them out of His mouth. Also Matthew 7:21-23

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This will guarantee that JESUS KNOWS US.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One problem in many theologies is believing faith alone is enough for GOD. Peter criticized them for not growing further in the knowledge of Jesus and Christian living.

Read 2 Peter 1:5-11. How many people have heard a sermon on this passage. It should be brought from the platform every week during this critical time in history where so many false doctrines have been taught and believed! Those who believe faith alone is enough for God are lukewarm and God will spew them out of His mouth. Also Matthew 7:21-23

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hi @1stCenturyLady I do think that 2 Peter 3.18 - "Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" - is definitely compatible with salvation "by grace....though faith...not of works" (Ephesians 2.8-9).

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @1stCenturyLady I do think that 2 Peter 3.18 - "Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" - is definitely compatible with salvation "by grace....though faith...not of works" (Ephesians 2.8-9).

So your answer to the title is yes. I'll see if I can add a poll. Look for it.

Edit: I can't add a poll.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Maybe start another thread with the poll? Word it a little differently? Or see if mods can transfer this threads replies to a new poll thread?

My answer is, yes. From faith by God's grace we grow in areas where he leads us,needs us, most.

So your answer to the title is yes. I'll see if I can add a poll. Look for it.

Edit: I can't add a poll.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm sure there are some "faith alone" believers who have it wrong, but the born-again believer that believes in "faith alone" will pursue all the things in the OP.

"Faith alone" actually means that we have no confidence in self whatsoever. Our faith is totally in Christ for our justification, sanctification, believing that all we receive from God comes by way of faith in what Christ did for us.

Christ made it all possible for us and our faith is completely in Him.

It's not a fair statement to say ALL "faith alone" believers are this and that! Some will abuse Grace as Paul brought to light in Rom. 6.

When it comes down to the bottom line of whether one will enter into His rest or not, it will be faith in Christ that makes the list. Paul said that our works we have done may not be accepted, they may be burned up in the test of fire. But that person will still be saved despite his works being burned (1 Cor. 3:11-15). Faith alone!

The person whose works do not pass the test will stand naked before God and it will be his faith alone that will decide his destiny.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ saves us through FAITH based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. (Romans 3:24-28) No supplements needed. So yes, FAITH (rightly understood) IN CHRIST ALONE is enough because the OBJECT of our faith (Jesus Christ) is enough. (Romans 5:1-2; 5:9)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Faith alone for what?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said that our works we have done may not be accepted, they may be burned up in the test of fire. But that person will still be saved despite his works being burned (1 Cor. 3:11-15). Faith alone!

The right interpretation of that verse in 1 Cor. 3:11-15 is someone's false doctrines they themselves create (eisegesis) to be followed (a church father) that will be burnt, not righteous works. It means there are some doctrines that attract sinners with itching ears to believe they are saved with nothing changing in their walk, when they are not. The author of the doctrine may, in spite of what they say for others to do, walk according to the gospel and be saved, but they will somehow be judged for leading others to hell fire.

Last edited:

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The right interpretation of that verse in 1 Cor. 3:11-15 is someone's false doctrines they themselves create (eisegesis) to be followed (a church father) that will be burnt, not righteous works. It means there are some doctrines that attract sinners with itching ears to believe they are saved with nothing changing in their walk, when they are not. The author of the doctrine may, in spite of what they say for others to do, walk according to the gospel and be saved, but they will somehow be judged for leading others to hell fire.

How can one "walk according to the Gospel and be saved" yet "lead others to hell fire?"

At the Judgment Seat of Christ every born-again believer will be judged according to their works. This is not a judgment of salvation, it's a judgment of works according to the truth of God's Word. It's loyalty to Christ alone.

The Corinthians were dividing themselves by some choosing Paul, some Apollos, and some Peter. He is telling them they have the wrong concept of following. It must be Christ as the foundation of faith.

Paul tells them that every man's work shall be revealed, of what sort it is. He is speaking of motives for our works. In other words, is our work based on Christ and Christ alone? If the work of our faith is not based on Christ, those works will not pass the test of fire and will be burned. We will suffer loss in reward but not the loss of salvation.

This is a huge problem today, following this preacher or that, this denomination or that. The correct concept is following Christ, the foundation of our faith.

The works spoken of here are not just correct teaching/doctrine of Christ. It speaks of the correct motives for all of man's work, which is the foundation of Christ.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
One problem in many theologies is believing faith alone is enough for GOD.

When you go to God on the Cross, to become a born again Son/Daughter....what are you bringing to God that moment?
You are bringing your SIN...= as that is who you are.., not just what you've done. And that is all you have to offer God.
This is why you are KNOWN as a SINNER.

So, that's it. You have nothing else to give God but your FAITH.... And God accepts it, and resolves your sin, "once and for all"., based on the CROSS of Christ.

Q.) So, if God takes you, when you are UNGODLY, a SINNER, and makes you a Son/Daugher ... why would try to convince people that God only keeps you later, if you are good, when in fact God took you first of all when you were UNGODLY. ??

A.) 1stCenturyLady, your theology of "here is what you must do, to stay saved"< this Legalism that you teach, that is Cross denying.... is not related to Paul's Gospel, but it is related to this... Galatians 1:8

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm starting to think that faith might be the most important thing, but I think we also need to obey the Lord's commandments.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I'm starting to think that faith might be the most important thing,

Bob,

When you go to God, Who is Christ on the Cross.....to become a Son of God... all you have to give Him is your SIN.

So, its ONLY your FAITH that God is going to HAVE to save you, as He's not going to save you because of your sin.
You have nothing else to offer Him, Bob.
Only your Faith.

God's one requirement to save you is..>"BELIEVE IN MY SON"..."RECEIVE MY SON< as MY SON has taken care of your sin, so that i can forgive you"

See that?

Welcome to the GIFT OF SALVATION -= You give God your FAITH, and God gives you His Salvation who is Christ on the Cross.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob,

When you go to God, Who is Christ on the Cross.....to become a Son of God... all you have to give Him is your SIN.

So, its ONLY your FAITH that God is going to HAVE to save you, as He's not going to save you because of your sin.
You have nothing else to offer Him, Bob.
Only your Faith.

God's one requirement to save you is..>"BELIEVE IN MY SON"..."RECEIVE MY SON< as MY SON has taken care of your sin, so that i can forgive you"

See that?

Welcome to the GIFT OF SALVATION
Sin brings trouble into our lives. It seems to me there will be no lasting peace till we repent of our sin. I think the Lord expects us to learn from our mistakes.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Sin brings trouble into our lives. .

Lets stay on the Topic that i posted to you.

I'll show you again..

When you go To God, to BECOME His............so that you dont die and go to hell...
What are you bringing to God?
What?
= ONLY YOUR SIN as you have nothing else to offer.
Do you understand this?
So, You give God your faith in CHRIST....and "faith is counted as Righteousness", and you are Justified by God, based on FAITH.

Once you give God your faith, God deals with your lifetime of sinning, by forgiving them, BASED ON< Jesus DYING FOR THEM.
Thats why the CROSS is RAISED with Jesus on it.

When this happens, when you give God your Faith in Christ, God accepts it, and He will cause you to have a spiritual birth and you become a "new Creation" In Christ"

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets stay on the Topic that i posted to you.

I'll show you again..

When you go To God, to BECOME His............so that you dont die and go to hell...
What are you bringing to God?
What?
= ONLY YOUR SIN as you have nothing else to offer.
Do you understand this?
So, You give God your faith in CHRIST....and "faith is counted as Righteousness", and you are Justified by God, based on FAITH.

Once you give God your faith, God deals with your lifetime of sinning, by forgiving them, BASED ON< Jesus DYING FOR THEM.

When this happens, you have become a Son of God.
I can offer more than that. I can do volunteer work for my church, give the church money, and things like that.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I can offer more than that. I can do volunteer work for my church, give the church money, and things like that.

If that can pay for your sin, you go right ahead.
But if it can't, then that Cross is where you have to go before you die.

Imagine this..

You are dead.. You are standing in Eternity, facing God as Judge.. and He says to you...

BOB, what did you do with my Son.

And you say..."i tried to be good."

God says... "Bob what did you do with my Son".

And you say.."I enjoyed arguing about doing good works on a Forum"..

And God says..>"Bod, when did you trust in my Son, by FAITH, so that i could forgive all your sin and make you my born again, new creation in Christ".

And you say..>"well, i worked for my church, and i gave money, and things like that'.

Do you see it yet?

Do you SEE IT YET?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that can pay for your sin, you go right ahead.
But if it can't, then that Cross is where you have to go before you die.

Imagine this..

You are dead.. You are standing in Eternity, facing God as Judge.. and He says to you...

BOB, what did you do with my Son.

And you say..."i tried to be good."

God says... "Bob what did you do with my Son".

And you say.."I enjoyed arguing about doing good works on a Forum"..

And God says..>"Bod, when did you trust in my Son, by FAITH, so that i could forgive all your sin and make you my born again, new creation in Christ".

And you say..>"well, i worked for my church, and i gave money, and things like that'.

Do you see it yet?

Do you SEE IT YET?
No, I can't pay for my sin - only Jesus can do that. But I think Jesus expects us to learn from our mistakes.

Reactions: Dropship and Behold

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
No, I can't pay for my sin - only Jesus can do that. But I think Jesus expects us to learn from our mistakes.

To present your body as a living sacrifice, and to take up your cross, daily, to "die to self"...is absolutely essential if we are truly born again.
Its what we do.

The deception, is not in doing that, as that is a big part of our discipleship........
The deception is...>"im doing that so that i stay saved".
See that?
As once that has become your faith, which is faith in "im doing something".... to go to heaven, then at that moment real faith in Christ is cancelled., and Legalism, (self saving) has become your broken faith.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To present your body as a living sacrifice, and to take up your cross, daily, to "die to self"...is absolutely essential if we are truly born again.
Its what we do.

The deception, is not in doing that, as that is a big part of our discipleship........
The deception is...>"im doing that so that i stay saved".
See that?
As once that has become your faith, which is faith in "im doing something".... to go to heaven, then at that moment real faith in Christ is cancelled., and Legalism, (self saving) has become your broken faith.
I think Jesus expects us to learn from our mistakes.