Is God Moral?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God moral?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, to put a finer point on the question, is the concept of righteousness defined by whatever it is that God does or is God good because He acts righteously?

What if God were to issue a decree that it was permissible to rape your neighbor's wife on any fifth Thursday of a month (like this coming May 31st for example)? Would that make rape on those days righteous or would such a decree make God evil?
I think God gave his defenition. It’s called the law of love, And he lived it on earth. Everything he did was for the benefit of others. not himself.

as for your question. If God did that, he would be telling us not to love our spouse. which would go against his own character, so it would not even be a possibility

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say God is good (righteous) is the standard or morality.
Hmm. This topic is a tough one to communicate well. It's fraught with unintended tautologies.
Let me try again by asking you the question that I ask Augustin56....

Is the concept of righteousness defined by whatever it is that God does or is God good because He acts righteously? Put another way, could God do something that we currently understand to be evil and remain righteous or would His action redefine the term "righteous" and turn what was evil into good?

What if God were to issue a decree that it was permissible to rape your neighbor's wife on any fifth Thursday of a month (like this coming May 31st for example)? Would that make rape on those days righteous or would such a decree make God evil?

(Some people in the past have freaked out when I've asked such clearly hypothetical questions as though I'm suggesting that God would ever do such thing. The whole point of picking such an obviously evil act is to make it unmistakable that its a purely hypothetical question.)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says who, you?

Why should I care about what you think that I should have done?

Guess what? I DON'T!
This reveals yours is not the Spirit of God. You ask questions but don't care about the answers.

This reveals your motivation is not genuine. You are not in the body of Christ - who is the life, the truth and the way.

Because you like direct answers, the reason why you should care what I think is that YOU ASKED.

I made an actual argument
No you didn't. All you did was make an assertion.

Worse, you are in denial that this is not a debate thread.

Get over yourself and respond with something other than your ego or get off my thread.
Touchy! Touchy!

See the double standards? (Compare blue to red font). While you dictate my posts, you don't like it when others humbly suggest how your post should have gone.

Proverbs 20:23 (ESV) Unequal weights are an abomination to the Lord, and false scales are not good.

Proverbs 23:9 Do not speak to fools, for they will scorn your prudent words.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm. This topic is a tough one to communicate well. It's fraught with unintended tautologies.
Let me try again by asking you the question that I ask Augustin56....

Is the concept of righteousness defined by whatever it is that God does or is God good because He acts righteously? Put another way, could God do something that we currently understand to be evil and remain righteous or would His action redefine the term "righteous" and turn what was evil into good?

(Some people in the past have freaked out when I've asked such clearly hypothetical questions as though I'm suggesting that God would ever do such thing. The whole point of picking such an obviously evil act is to make it unmistakable that it’s a purely hypothetical question.)
Answered.

God is moral because he is a God of love..

since he loved perfectly (and he loved perfectly while he walked the earth)

he set the moral standard. For which we all fall short.

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Gods word/ seed is Alive and Active.
God is Life (capital L).

God's word (i.e. the bible) is a different topic.

If by "God's word/seed" you didn't mean the bible but meant God the Son who became flesh (Romans 1:1-14), then I'd simply say that God the Son, whom we call Jesus, is God Himself and is not a created being (except, of course, for His physical body, which He has to this day and forever more, by the way).

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is Life (capital L).

God's word (i.e. the bible) is a different topic.

If by "God's word/seed" you didn't mean the bible but meant God the Son who became flesh (Romans 1:1-14), then I'd simply say that God the Son, whom we call Jesus, is God Himself and is not a created being (except, of course, for His physical body, which He has to this day and forever more, by the way).
God is Spirit.
"God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)
Gods seed is his Living word the Holy Spirit.

Gods seed/ Living word was the seed that got Mary pregnant...his seed is Alive and Active.

Now my new friend....if you don’t believe that...then there will be no discussion between the two of us.

Last edited:

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reveals yours is not the Spirit of God. You ask questions but don't care about the answers.
I care very much about the answers to the questions I ask. What I don't care about is what you think that I should have done with my own thread. Of course, you knew that when you made this asinine accusation.

This reveals your motivation is not genuine. You are not in the body of Christ - who is the life, the truth and the way.
Says who, you?

Because you like direct answers, the reason why you should care what I think is that YOU ASKED.
I didn't ask you a thing about the way I should asks questions and start threads on this web forum. I don't know you and didn't know you existed before you posted on this thread. I couldn't care less about how you think I should start conversation on a web forum!

No you didn't. All you did was make an assertion.
The entire thread is still here for the entire world to read Wrangler. I made a very clear, albeit a brief argument to establish the fact that God did not create existence or life. The fact that you chose to ignore it doesn't make it go away.

Worse, you are in denial that this is not a debate thread.
You're delusional.

Touchy! Touchy!
You're the one who showed up threatening to put me on ignore because I didn't start the thread the way you would have liked me to.

See the double standards? (Compare blue to red font). While you dictate my posts, you don't like it when others humbly suggest how your post should have gone.
No one asked you for your input on how I should make posts. If you don't like my posts, ignore them! I don't care whether you participate here or not.

Proverbs 20:23 (ESV) Unequal weights are an abomination to the Lord, and false scales are not good.

Proverbs 23:9 Do not speak to fools, for they will scorn your prudent words.
Hypocrite.

Put up or shut up.

Put me on your ignore list! PLEASE!

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God gave his defenition. It’s called the law of love, And he lived it on earth. Everything he did was for the benefit of others. not himself.

as for your question. If God did that, he would be telling us not to love our spouse. which would go against his own character, so it would not even be a possibility
Whether its actually possible or not isn't the point. It's a purely hypothetical question. Just pretend that such a thing happened and think it through in terms of what it means in relation to the concept of righteousness and what it means to say that God is good.

If it helps, I'd emphatically state without qualification that such a decree would render God evil. God cannot just do any at all and remain righteous. He is righteous because He acts righteously. The question then becomes, what does it mean to act righteously. A question that I will answer in due time.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just what the bible says. He is good.
I'm guessing this is the point of the topic. (a good topic BTW)
If you rely on the Bible, or the church's translation of it, then the answer is
"No, God is NOT moral, even by his own standards."

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm guessing this is the point of the topic. (a good topic BTW)
If you rely on the Bible, or the church's translation of it, then the answer is
"No, God is NOT moral, even by his own standards."

/
I say, "Yes, God is moral, The Bible is wrong about Him."

My vote was, Yes.

/

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Definitely God is good as his word states but God is not bound by our morals.

He had Israel slay multitudes of ppl in the lands he promised them. Is murder moral and seen as a just cause of accomplishment ?
Murder only applies to those who don’t deserve death. We are the potters clay. All deserve death.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether its actually possible or not isn't the point. It's a purely hypothetical question. Just pretend that such a thing happened and think it through in terms of what it means in relation to the concept of righteousness and what it means to say that God is good.

If it helps, I'd emphatically state without qualification that such a decree would render God evil. God cannot just do any at all and remain righteous. He is righteous because He acts righteously. The question then becomes, what does it mean to act righteously. A question that I will answer in due time.
I can not think it is true

Because if I did. I would have to not know who or what God is to think such a thing.

You will have to come up wiht a different example. one that is actually plausible..

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answered.

God is moral because he is a God of love..

since he loved perfectly (and he loved perfectly while he walked the earth)

he set the moral standard. For which we all fall short.
Okay, if you don't want to answer directly, that's fine.

However, Jesus met but did not set the standard during His earthly life. God (including God the Son, of course) was good long before anything physical even existed, right?

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see the one whom wants to participate in murder likes the quote about murder being deserved !

No one has the right to decide whom is deserving of murder nor DEATH ........
EXCEPT GOD !
What does this have to do with what is being discussed?

Incidentally...

Ezekiel 13:19 And will you profane Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live, by your lying to My people who listen to lies?”​

Logikos

Jan 4, 2024
Tomball, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Definitely God is good as his word states but God is not bound by our morals.
There is more than one moral code?

He had Israel slay multitudes of ppl in the lands he promised them. Is murder moral and seen as a just cause of accomplishment ? Many countries commit genocide and we claim it is immoral.
It wasn't murder, first of all. Suggesting otherwise is literally blasphemy. Good grief, man. Where exactly do you have to go to before you discover you've made an error?

We only live because God gives us life. He has the right to recall that life on His own prerogative. It is therefore not murder for Him to bring us from this physical life to the next. Indeed, it is only His patient mercy the prevents Him from ending the entire human race right here and now.

I say we MUST live by his standards set forth under the N. T. in the confines of his word.
This is, of course, true but we aren't talking about us, we're talking about God and whether or not it means something when we affirm that God is good.

Let's NOT play God, ourselves. He is infinite, we finite; he is infallible, we are failures!
No one is suggesting otherwise but you wouldn't have an issue with someone declaring that God is good, would you? Is that playing God? Was the the prophet Daniel playing God when he declared...

Lord our God is righteous in all the works which He does (Daniel 9:14)

There is none good nor righteous except GOD !
So, did you just play God by saying that?

• Angry
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a self-establishing statement. Theology is a branch of philosophy by definition.

Oh brother.

Either respond directly to what I said with a substantive response or just save us all your nonsense and put me on ignore.

What?

How so?

But overtly so! I state explicitly that I will post my detailed answer and indeed, doing so is the chief purpose of my starting the thread but that doesn't mean I have to do so right off the bat. I'm interested in seeing how people respond to the question and by what means they support their position and I don't want to muddy that water by jumping the gun and posting my own thoughts too early.

If you don't like that, I DO NOT CARE!!!!

Put me on ignore. See if I care!

Indeed, if this sort of thing is typical, then I'd prefer being on your ignore list, frankly. You ignore arguments and jump without provocation into little self-important tirades like some sort of child.

Says who, you?

Why should I care about what you think that I should have done?

Guess what? I DON'T!

No you didn't. You made a single point that I made an actual argument against and your response was to ignore the argument entirely and to instead post this condescending claptrap.

Get over yourself and respond with something other than your ego or get off my thread.
I don't agree with his execution, but he's right—you're stirring a suspended pot to get reactions. You may not really mean any harm but these kinds of threads tend to foster more antagonism than profitable discussion.

I haven't bothered to read past the post I'm responding to, so I don't know if the other shoe (your withheld opinion) has dropped yet. Frankly, I'm afraid to look.

There is such thing as a dumb question. We've all asked them, so, no offense.

"All things are lawful to me, but not all things are expedient."

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat: