Is God more than the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
TV read teh bible with you eyes open and you will see, Read teh accounts of our Lords death and resurection no two are teh same, read about the man / men possed on teh island with teh pigs, same story yet one says two men , the other says one man, does God inspire peope to lie ?? dont you think if God had inspired the bible there would be absolutely no doubt. What are you afraid of, discovering the truth its in Christ He isnt hiding away.

In All His :Love

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
As I understand it, the bible is the [Logos] written word of God and is useful for our growth and for instruction. 2 Timothy 3:16
It is also the [Rhema] inspired word through revelation of the Holy Spirit to the heart. Hebrews 4:12. In a sense then, it has both practical [applied] and spiritual [divine] aspects to it for our benefit. The bible is a representation of God and his son, just as we are representitves of God through his Son with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings!!!

Reactions: KingJ

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
mjrhealth said:
TV read teh bible with you eyes open and you will see, Read teh accounts of our Lords death and resurection no two are teh same, read about the man / men possed on teh island with teh pigs, same story yet one says two men , the other says one man, does God inspire peope to lie ?? dont you think if God had inspired the bible there would be absolutely no doubt. What are you afraid of, discovering the truth its in Christ He isnt hiding away.

In All His :Love
i didn't know there were atheists here.

Reactions: KingJ

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

I believe that God is greater than the word that He wrote.
the problem with that thinking is ------it leads to this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58pKa5tIUs
John 8:31-32
New King James Version (NKJV)

The Truth Shall Make You Free
31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
RFLOL!
12094518.gif
12094518.gif

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Selene said:
The Word of God (Jesus Christ) is not the same as the Holy Bible (Scripture). Jesus Christ is the Logos who existed with God at the beginning. The word "scripture" is "graphe" in Greek. Logos (Word of God) and graphe (scripture, which is also the word of God) are not the same. One is the written word while the other is the LIVING Word. Jesus Christ is greater than the Holy Bible because Christ is God. The Holy Bible is not God and should never be worshiped as God.
True. Jesus is the Logos. But I believe the the Bible is the best possible written representation of the Logos. It was God-breathed and written by men moved along by the Holy Spirit. It wasn't all started with oral tradition, especially in the New Testament. All of Paul's writings were letters written to churches and people. In fact, most of Paul's letters were considered scriptural pretty much from the time they were received.

Does the Bible describe everything about God and how He moves? No, that would be impossible. Justin quoted John 21 earlier where it says the world couldn't contain all of the books it would take to tell of all of the things Jesus did, and that was just during His 3 year ministry. Of course there is more to God and how He moves than what the Bible can describe. But when people start leaning on the "more", that's when they open themselves up to spiritual places they should not go. God is going to do things in our lives that aren't specifically drawn out in detail in the Bible. But the Bible is the standard that everything should be measured against. It is the inspired, written Word of God. God may do things personally in our lives that aren't detailed specifically in the Bible, but He will never do anything that contradicts the Bible. The scriptures are our foundation, with the Apostles, Prophets, and Jesus as the cornerstone. Everything that God builds will be built on top of that foundation, not around it.

With that in mind, God does still build into our lives. Does that mean the New Testament is still being written? Of course not. But He still moves in our lives in personal ways. One calculation says that from 4,000 BC until now, there have been 88 billion people. God encourages me daily, and regularly moves in my life in spiritual and miraculous ways. If He's that intimate with me, then He's that intimate with any of the 7 billion people on the earth who open up to Him. There are bound to be many, many ways that God moves and speaks personally into all of these lives that couldn't fit into a book. But every single thing He does will be kindred to that Book, not contradict it, and be founded on it.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
forrestcupp said:
True. Jesus is the Logos. But I believe the the Bible is the best possible written representation of the Logos. It was God-breathed and written by men moved along by the Holy Spirit. It wasn't all started with oral tradition, especially in the New Testament. All of Paul's writings were letters written to churches and people. In fact, most of Paul's letters were considered scriptural pretty much from the time they were received.

Does the Bible describe everything about God and how He moves? No, that would be impossible. Justin quoted John 21 earlier where it says the world couldn't contain all of the books it would take to tell of all of the things Jesus did, and that was just during His 3 year ministry. Of course there is more to God and how He moves than what the Bible can describe. But when people start leaning on the "more", that's when they open themselves up to spiritual places they should not go. God is going to do things in our lives that aren't specifically drawn out in detail in the Bible. But the Bible is the standard that everything should be measured against. It is the inspired, written Word of God. God may do things personally in our lives that aren't detailed specifically in the Bible, but He will never do anything that contradicts the Bible. The scriptures are our foundation, with the Apostles, Prophets, and Jesus as the cornerstone. Everything that God builds will be built on top of that foundation, not around it.

With that in mind, God does still build into our lives. Does that mean the New Testament is still being written? Of course not. But He still moves in our lives in personal ways. One calculation says that from 4,000 BC until now, there have been 88 billion people. God encourages me daily, and regularly moves in my life in spiritual and miraculous ways. If He's that intimate with me, then He's that intimate with any of the 7 billion people on the earth who open up to Him. There are bound to be many, many ways that God moves and speaks personally into all of these lives that couldn't fit into a book. But every single thing He does will be kindred to that Book, not contradict it, and be founded on it.
While it is true that one can learn about Jesus in the Bible, that still does not mean that one should worship the Bible as though the Bible is Jesus. The Bible is not Jesus and was never Jesus. Where does it say that "Scripture" is our foundation? Scripture says that we (the Church) is the foundation and Christ is our cornerstone (See Ephesians 2:19-20 and 1 Timothy 3:15).

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
To limit God to what was written in the Bible is not proper.

Your an interesting piece of work Justin I admire your ability to
start threads such as this one with no scriptural evidence to support
your belief.
If Protestants could get out of their perpetual circularity, perhaps they would see what Catholics are trying to reveal.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

Jesus(The Word) did say that the Father is greater than I. Meaning that the Father is over His Word yet they are ONE. You can never separate a man from his word, they are of the same spirit.

But the Word says:
God is His Word and creates everthing by and with His Word. His Word is called the Word of life! The wisdom of God is to be EXALTED above every thing and every knee shall bow.
The Word of God framed the world, the Word of God upholds the earth. By the Word of God the foundations were laid. By God's Word were the seas given boundry's.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
KJV
Heb 1:3
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
KJV
Heb 11:3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

John 10:29-30
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30 I and my Father are one.
KJV
John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
KJV
1 Cor 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.{ALL MUST SUBMIT TO THE WORD OF GOD}
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
KJV

I believe the Bible to be God breathed and every bit as important as God Himself for He said:
Matt 4:4
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
KJV

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

And He is. Divine Providence is always guiding us, and the Spirit works through us revealing divine knowledge. I feel that Solo Scriptura, if true, is us being neglected and left to a collection of books- He didn't stop with the Prophets, He didn't stop with the Christ, he didn't stop with the 12, so why should He stop with Paul?

The Bible is held so dear because it is the remaining texts by which God had inspired through the writers. All the same, the Bible should not be mistreated as being more then what it is. The only authority the Bible has is that it cannot be contradicted. That does not translate to 'if it's not in the Bible it isn't true'. Christians have made a mortal mistake in laboring under that. It is as unsensible as it is stubborn.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
My understanding for this topic is based on john 1:1

He is the word. So, Both are equal to me.

For whoever feel that Bible is nothing / History / a just book, its useless for them. But for me who believe, It is power.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
We are the celebrants of God's entire creation. Do you not know that we exceed the greatest angel? Open your eyes, and discern scipture with Spirit. God has woorked thorugh us since the very beginning- we are the conduits that God works through.

There will be a time where you will be preaching to the angels.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Yeah.. I am the prince of His eternal kingdom. I was nobody and useless before. Now I am cleansed by His blood and became the prince and princess of His kingdom. I am very well know about it and I am feeling proud about that.

Thanks.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

Jesus Christ is the word of God incarnate. How is it possible that any distinction between God and God's word applies in any way. Your statement is arbitrary.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

Nice to meet you and thanks for sharing your insights. You bring
up an interesting point...does one need to quote scripture in order to speak
the truth? To me truth is truth whether or not there is scripture and
verse for it. In fact, all the truths that are in the Bible were true
even before the Bible was written.

So many will not believe anything if they cannot understand it through two
or three scriptures that speak to it. Somehow they think that if they can
quote chapter and verse that it makes what they believe true. However,
how many doctrines of demons have whole books that purport to "prove"
them through scriptures? We perceive truth not primarily through
intellect but rather through our hearts. In fact most truth is give to us
simply by revelation of the Spirit.

God is certainly more than the Bible. Let us not limit God but rather
accept that He is limitless.

God bless,

Justin

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
The Jews were not Solo Scriptura. They had the seat of Moses even though they had their holy books, and Jesus said that with bishopric authority, to do as they say even if it means to not do as they do. Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites.

The Church has the seat of Peter, and Jesus did not do away with religious authority. In fact, he imputed it on to the apsotles themselves. The Roman Catholic understanding in a nutshell is that the papacy is that bishopric power, succeeded from Peter. And other catholic churches understand the concept of bishopric power in general, if not given primarily to the papacy.

Christianity sits on a three legged stool: Scripture, bishopric authority, and tradition. In a big way, Protestants can't really escape tradition, and simply replace bishopric authority with preachers. So Protestantism simply puts everything into Scripture and neglects the succession that Judeo-Christian principles demand.