Is God omnipotent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
omni- meaning “all”; potent meaning “powerful”; omnipotent means all-powerful.

Omnipotent is a philosophical term. I prefer to stick to the more biblical term almighty.

God is almighty in that he holds all power and authority. Nothing happens except by his delegation. Here are some verses that confirm that God is almighty:

Psalm 33:

6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth
Daniel 4:

35 “All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing,
But He does according to His will in the host of heaven
And among the inhabitants of earth;
And no one can ward off His hand
Or say to Him, ‘What have You done?’
Isaiah 43:

13 “Even from eternity I am He,
And there is none who can deliver out of My hand;
I act and who can reverse it?”
Daniel 2:

21 He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise
John 19:

11 Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above.
Matthew 19:

26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Revelation 1:

8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Almighty
Παντοκράτωρ (Pantokratōr)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3841: Ruler of all, ruler of the universe, the almighty. From pas and kratos; the all-ruling, i.e. God.

Reactions: amadeus

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Omnipotent is a philosophical term. I prefer to stick to the more biblical term almighty.

God is almighty in that he holds all power and authority. Nothing happens except by his delegation. Here are some verses that confirm that God is almighty:

Psalm 33:

Daniel 4:

Isaiah 43:

Daniel 2:

John 19:

Matthew 19:

Revelation 1:

Almighty
Strong's 3841: Ruler of all, ruler of the universe, the almighty. From pas and kratos; the all-ruling, i.e. God.
Yes, omnipotence can lead to rendering God capable of doing things that are "logically incompatible!" ;) Can He, for example, create a rock so heavy He can't lift it?

"Almighty" works for me. God has in a sense made Himself weak in Christ, meaning that He has chosen not to be able to do everything. And yet nothing can be done in the universe or in history that is apart from His word and design. He has made provision for all potential developments, and indeed has made every development possible.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 33:

Daniel 4:

Isaiah 43:

Daniel 2:

John 19:

Matthew 19:

Revelation 1:

Almighty
Yes, God is omnipotent.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 33:

Daniel 4:

Isaiah 43:

Daniel 2:

John 19:

Matthew 19:

Revelation 1:

Almighty
Omnipotence has a LOT of things that go with this.

Sovereignty being chief among the characteristics. If God is not completely Sovereign then He isn't Omnipotent.

Then there's "Timelessness" or eternal. If God doesn't have this as a characteristic then He isn't Sovereign or Omnipotent....

Then comes Omniscient. If God doesn't know everything then He cannot wield the power or if He has it.

So....
Since God is Omniscient that also means He is Omnipresent. There is nowhere God is not. You can never back up far enough away to view the entirety of God. God is always encompassing you.

So....now that these subjects are covered let's look at Omnipotence.
It means that God not only holds ALL power but that also no one has any without God's active support and not just His acquiescence. Your next breath is included in this.
This also means that God has perfect efficiency when using His Power. No unintended side effects, no spillover, no IR losses whatsoever. Perfection always at all times otherwise it's an undoing of Sovereignty, Omniscience, omnipresence, Timelessness and etc.

God is most definitely "over all and in all".

Thank God that God is good.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 33:

Daniel 4:

Isaiah 43:

Daniel 2:

John 19:

Matthew 19:

Revelation 1:

Almighty
“I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee” Job 42:2

“God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.” Psalm 62:11

“Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.” Psalm 147:5

Reactions: JohnDB