Is God outside of time?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
rstrats said:
Angelina,

re: "Time was made for mankind. God is outside of time and space."

So if you had a clock that ran backwards, it would automatically stop at the moment that time was made for mankind?
I would hope it would stop at each and every lunch time..........ya know....Izzzzzzz loves to eat :)

Forsakenone

Dec 25, 2013
rstrats said:
So if you had a clock that ran backwards, it would automatically stop at the moment that time was made for mankind?
Exactly! But then again, you don't need a clock to run backwards in order for the clock to automatically stop at the moment that time was made for mankind;

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
rstrats said:
Angelina,

re: "Time was made for mankind. God is outside of time and space."

A clock is not time. It would stop when the batteries died.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
In a manner of speaking, yes.

We experience time because we experience reality only as length, width, height, and time, or, as Einstein put it; "Space-time."

Our experience is confined to the creation.

God is not part of creation; He is the creator. He is not constrained by any of our physical limitations or the laws" of nature.

When it is said that God is eternal, part of what that means is that God exists, all the time, at every moment of time, and all at the same time.

All time, to God, is "now."

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I have heard the argument that God is necessarily outside of time. Is this true?
Time is a concept. It is not something that is tangible. Time is measured by the sun's movement.

If we define "time" as a measurement of change (so that we can say something is in the past, is presently happening, or will happen), then God cannot be outside of time.
why would you want to define time as a measurement of change. The sun's movement is divided into segments that we call hours minutes and seconds, generally identified as time.

If God was outside of time, he would not be capable of change (for if he did, then he would be in time.) If God cannot change, God cannot create for an action of will requires moving from a state of non-will to will, which requires time (because it is a change.) If God cannot create, he cannot be the creator of the universe.
Since time is not tangible, your assessment makes no sense.

However, if God is inside of time, then he also cannot be the creator of the universe for time has not always existed, meaning there must be a being greater than God making God not God.
Time is not something that one can be inside or outside of. Your understanding of time is flawed.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
If God does not change, how did he create the universe?
because one has nothing to do with the other.
Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
The context here is that God does not change his mind concerning his promise. You are assuming that change is referring to something else.

To create means something goes from non-existence to existence.
Which does not affect the one who is doing the creating... Things are created from things that already exist...
Creation is an act of God. Act implies God decided to do something. If he cannot change, how can he go from not creating to creating?
If God created something, please show how he changed when he created it...
Either he must always be creating or never create, if he doesn't change, he can't go from one to another.
Based on what rule? To begin with you are using a phrase (God does not change) out of context. Secondly, you cannot show any change in your out of context reasoning. In your misguided view for argument's sake, how did God change when he created?

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time is a concept. It is not something that is tangible. Time is measured by the sun's movement.

why would you want to define time as a measurement of change. The sun's movement is divided into segments that we call hours minutes and seconds, generally identified as time.

Since time is not tangible, your assessment makes no sense.

Time is not something that one can be inside or outside of. Your understanding of time is flawed.
Time as we mere humans try and understand it runs from point A to point Z . IT has a so called beginning and runs only forward .
BUT the truth is , The carnal mind cannot Grasp the realm of GOD .
HE had no beginning , JUST always was . IT dont run from a point a to point Z , it simply always has been and always will be .
I dont even truly know if i explained that well enough .

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard the argument that God is necessarily outside of time. Is this true?

If we define "time" as a measurement of change (so that we can say something is in the past, is presently happening, or will happen), then God cannot be outside of time. If God was outside of time, he would not be capable of change (for if he did, then he would be in time.) If God cannot change, God cannot create for an action of will requires moving from a state of non-will to will, which requires time (because it is a change.) If God cannot create, he cannot be the creator of the universe.

However, if God is inside of time, then he also cannot be the creator of the universe for time has not always existed, meaning there must be a being greater than God making God not God.
All time is, is the sun revolving around the earth. If that didn't happen we wouldn't have days, hours, minutes time.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All i know is that it is LORD PRAISING TIME my peoples . SO LET ALL that has breath praise the glorious LORD .

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God does not change, how did he create the universe? To create means something goes from non-existence to existence. Creation is an act of God. Act implies God decided to do something. If he cannot change, how can he go from not creating to creating? Either he must always be creating or never create, if he doesn't change, he can't go from one to another.
Where does this weird philosophical idea come from? That somebody is changing if they go from doing to not doing?

Is this some New Age abstract perspective of bieng-ness, etc.?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do I define time?

Time is the length of a period between two non events, which have no measurement or duration with resect to time.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Time as we mere humans try and understand it runs from point A to point Z . IT has a so called beginning and runs only forward .
BUT the truth is , The carnal mind cannot Grasp the realm of GOD .
HE had no beginning , JUST always was . IT dont run from a point a to point Z , it simply always has been and always will be .
I dont even truly know if i explained that well enough .
There is nothing to understand about time... It is just a concept. It is not something that can be grasped. The sun moves in the sky. And man divided the movement into segments, which they call hours minutes and seconds. That is all there is to it.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
How do I define time?

Time is the length of a period between two non events, which have no measurement or duration with resect to time.
Time is the name given to the divided segments from the movement of the sun, aka hours minutes and seconds. It has nothing to do with events or non events, it is a man-made concept.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
All time is, is the sun revolving around the earth. If that didn't happen we wouldn't have days, hours, minutes time.
The Bible says in the firmament of the heaven, not revolving around the earth.
Genesis 1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Time is the name given to the divided segments from the movement of the sun, aka hours minutes and seconds. It has nothing to do with events or non events, it is a man-made concept.

But you have said the same thing that I did. The difference in my definition was that I did not define the length of the time periods with any formal names or defined time periods added together. The length of a person's life is measured between the person's birth and death, which are both non events. How we define the length of a person's life may be by the use of years, days, hours, minutes and seconds where we are qualifying how long the period, for that person's life, was, in relative terms.

We can say that one person's life was twice as big as another person's life, but they both lived for the same period of time. What was the difference?

With respect to time, nothing. With respect to what they achieved? One was able to achieve twice as much as the other in the same time period.

Time is infinite yet also finite. It all defends on how we consider it.

Shalom

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the few things I remember from my college physics class is that space and time are interconnected and referred to as a singular entity “space-time”. Theologically, I would conclude pretty confidently that space-time is God’s creation. I would be less confident in stating that God was outside space-time (transcendent) or inside space-time (immanent) or both. Acts 17:28 “For in him we live, and move, and have our being” argues for immanence. Isaiah 46:10 “Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done…” would argue for transcendence. I’d say both.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If we define "time" as a measurement of change (so that we can say something is in the past, is presently happening, or will happen), then God cannot be outside of time. If God was outside of time, he would not be capable of change (for if he did, then he would be in time.) If God cannot change, God cannot create for an action of will requires moving from a state of non-will to will, which requires time (because it is a change.) If God cannot create, he cannot be the creator of the universe.

Time is a fourth spatial dimension and part of creation. God is not part of creation, but entered creation, so yes, the immortal invisible God existed before time and outside of time. However, since He desired us to know Him and love Him, He entered time in the person of His Holy Spirit and in the person of His Son. The Bible agrees with this in chapter 1 of Genesis. The first day was the beginning of time. There was no time before the creation.

Reactions: Lambano

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing to understand about time... It is just a concept. It is not something that can be grasped. The sun moves in the sky. And man divided the movement into segments, which they call hours minutes and seconds. That is all there is to it.
All i know is that it is TIME TIME TIME to PRAISE THE GLORIOUS LORD .
So let all who name the name of Christ praise and thank the LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the few things I remember from my college physics class is that space and time are interconnected and referred to as a singular entity “space-time”. Theologically, I would conclude pretty confidently that space-time is God’s creation. I would be less confident in stating that God was outside space-time (transcendent) or inside space-time (immanent) or both. Acts 17:28 “For in him we live, and move, and have our being” argues for immanence. Isaiah 46:10 “Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done…” would argue for transcendence. I’d say both.
One sure cannot claim to know it all , but this i do know , Speaking of Time , ITS TIME TO PRAISE and THANK the LORD .
For now we know in part , OH but one day we gonna be forever with HE who has saved us . NOW aint that a wonderful
thought to ponder on my friend . Hope in the LORD and let all praise and thank Him .

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
But you have said the same thing that I did. The difference in my definition was that I did not define the length of the time periods with any formal names or defined time periods added together.
if we said the same thing, there would be no difference.
The length of a person's life is measured between the person's birth and death, which are both non events.
Birth is an event and death is an event... An event is something that happens. Are you saying that births and deaths do not happen?

How we define the length of a person's life may be by the use of years, days, hours, minutes and seconds where we are qualifying how long the period, for that person's life, was, in relative terms.
That is what we refer to as time, sir.
We can say that one person's life was twice as big as another person's life, but they both lived for the same period of time. What was the difference?
"one person's life was twice as big"? Who says that? No one speaks like that. If they were referring to the length of life, they would say..."one person's life was twice as long" not twice as big.

With respect to time, nothing. With respect to what they achieved? One was able to achieve twice as much as the other in the same time period.
that is rubbish. Time has nothing to do with what a person achieves.
Time is infinite yet also finite. It all defends on how we consider it.

Shalom
more foolishness, time is not tangible... time cannot be lengthened' shrunken or stopped. It is just a concept applied to the movement of the sun.