Is infant baptism from the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We see the order in Acts 2.41: The person believes (is born again) and is subsequently baptised.
Yep that was me but it took a few years between the two although like I said I was baptised in the Spirit during that period.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yep that was me but it took a few years between the two although like I said I was baptised in the Spirit during that period.
My understanding of the baptism of the Spirit is that the church was immersed in the Spirit - so to speak - at Pentecost, and the individual comes into the good of it at the new birth, but is subsequently baptised as a sign of personal faith, afterwards.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My understanding of the baptism of the Spirit is that the church was immersed in the Spirit - so to speak - at Pentecost, and the individual comes into the good of it at the new birth, but is subsequently baptised as a sign of personal faith, afterwards.
I was baptised in the Spirit one night in the vicar's house where a few of us had gathered after the Sunday evening service to learn about the Holy Spirit. There was a visiting preacher who went round the room laying hands on people. When he touched me he said, Wow this one's bubbling over. My friend began to speak in tongues and didn't stop all the way home until she had parked in her driveway. She was later baptised at the same church I was. I started to sing in tongues a couple of days later as I worked in my kitchen. I also had a friend who got filled with the Spirit whilst with us at a meeting in Manchester, he was so 'buzzing' with the Spirit that he drove through every red light on the way home. As far as I'm aware he never did get baptised.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't care to understand what a individual person believes about the *why* someone should be baptized.
Then your posts here (talking to individuals) are complete waste of time.

Remember Paul's words:
1 Corin 13 "1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Reactions: Pearl

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism = dipping under liquid = like in soaking pickles in brine.
Tell that to Ezekiel:

Ezek. 36:25-27
I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Tell that ALSO to the author of The Didache (Teachings of the Twelve Apostles):

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit.

This document was written before the John's Gospel. It is a contemporary document of the other Gospels and Epistles of the NT. The onus is on YOU to prove that "Baptism" did NOT include pouring in the Early Church.

I just proved that it DID . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mary ~

Were you Water Baptized?
If so at what Age?

Were you Baptized with the Spirit of God?
If so at what Age?

Glory to God,
Taken
Hi Taken,

Marymog SAID:

" you want to talk about my baptism and how it happened I will gladly converse with you.'

FYI..... @"ByGrace" really doesn't want me to talk about my beliefs about baptism ...

On her OP, that was not about Baptism.

I moved your post to an appropriate OP about Baptism, specific to Baby Baptism.

I will only talk about MY baptism and what I was taught about baptism

Yes, I was water baptized as an infant. I was pretty young then so I don't remember it ;) but I have been told it was within several weeks after my birth.

Your Admission reveals;
You DID NOT Confess Belief in God, in Christ.

Scripture says when one is baptized they are to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19).

Yes, that is TRUE.
However you OMITTED:
Baptism of the Holy Spirit "IS PROCEEDED"...
By the person CONFESSING heartful BELIEF.

Since I received that Trinitarian baptism I was born of water and Spirit just like Jesus said one must be to enter the kingdom of God (John 3:5) sooooo I was "Baptized with the Spirit of God".

I agree You were taught you received the Spirit of God at your Baby Baptism.

However Scripture is Clear...

A CONFESSION of True Belief of the Individual is Required.

1 John 4
[15] Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

You have made Clear,
As A Baby, YOU made no such Confession.

Do you have a Scripture that TEACHES, One person can CONFESS, "FOR another PERSON"?

Glory To God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me sum up this entire thread:
You (the anti-infant baptizer) will say that there's no scriptural support for it and use verses ABC to support your position.
A pro-infant baptizer will say that there's scriptural support for it and use verses XYZ to support their position.
You will say that the early church didn't baptize infants.
Pro-infant baptizer will say that the early church did baptize infants.
... and round and round it'll go, neither of you listening to each other, bashing out the same dead-horse argument for the millionth time.

It really doesn't have much point.

The Point is:

1)
Scripture is clear: a Heartfelt Confession of Belief is required, BY the Individual; FOR the Individual to Receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

2)
Babies Make no Confession of Belief IN God or IN Christ the Lord.

3)
A person Proclaiming A CONFESSION for ANOTHER person is not Scripturally Sound Doctrine.

4)
Many persons ACCEPT the TEACHING of Men, THAT: A person CAN RECEIVE the Baptism of the Holy Spirit "WITHOUT" the Individual making his own CONFESSION OF BELIEF.
(YET they present NO Verifying Scripture to Support their claims.)

Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then your posts here (talking to individuals) are complete waste of time.

Remember Paul's words:
1 Corin 13 "1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."
Hi Jane Doe,

Scripture makes it clear that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. Soooo you may care to understand what that persons private interpretation of Scripture is about baptism, I don't care. You and I know there are some things in Scripture that are hard to understand of which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

You asked me several questions. I answered them. You suggested that I need to understand why another person would believe a certain thing about baptism. I told you I disagree with your suggestion and gave a reason why I disagree with your suggestion.

I will always be ready to give an answer to every man that asks me a reason of the hope that is in me.

I don't think I am wasting my time. I am only doing what Scripture asks me to do....always be ready! :rolleyes:

Mary

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jane Doe,

Scripture makes it clear that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. Soooo you may care to understand what that persons private interpretation of Scripture is about baptism, I don't care. You and I know there are some things in Scripture that are hard to understand of which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

You asked me several questions. I answered them. You suggested that I need to understand why another person would believe a certain thing about baptism. I told you I disagree with your suggestion and gave a reason why I disagree with your suggestion.

I will always be ready to give an answer to every man that asks me a reason of the hope that is in me.

I don't think I am wasting my time. I am only doing what Scripture asks me to do....always be ready! :rolleyes:

Mary
You are in violation of Paul's words and only serving as a clanging cymbal. And you will remain so until you listen to Paul and having charity: actually seeing and loving the individuals you are talking to.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in violation of Paul's words and only serving as a clanging cymbal. And you will remain so until you listen to Paul and having charity: actually seeing and loving the individuals you are talking to.
Thank you Jane Doe,

When someone has their own private interpretation of Scripture and they twist it into something that is OPPOSITE of what YOU believe, who's words are they violating?

Curious Mary

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Jane Doe,

When someone has their own private interpretation of Scripture and they twist it into something that is OPPOSITE of what YOU believe, who's words are they violating?

Curious Mary
You're completely skipping the point here Mary: you have ZERO charity. Hence, you are in violation of Paul's words, and serving only as clanging cymbal. Until you actually start carrying about the individual, you will remain so.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your Admission reveals;
You DID NOT Confess Belief in God, in Christ.

Yes, that is TRUE.
However you OMITTED:
Baptism of the Holy Spirit "IS PROCEEDED"...
By the person CONFESSING heartful BELIEF.

I agree You were taught you received the Spirit of God at your Baby Baptism.

However Scripture is Clear...

A CONFESSION of True Belief of the Individual is Required.

1 John 4
[15] Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

You have made Clear,
As A Baby, YOU made no such Confession.

Do you have a Scripture that TEACHES, One person can CONFESS, "FOR another PERSON"?

Glory To God,
Taken
hi taken,

I refer you to @BreadOfLife post #2. He articulates it very well. The only thing I would add is Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”. For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him” (2:38-39).

Instead of cherry picking scripture to fit what I believe both I look at ALL OF SCRIPTURE and what The Christian Church has practiced/believed for 2,000 years.

You cherry pick Scripture and accept what the Protestant's have believed/practiced for 500 years. Scripture and your own Christian history teach opposite of what you believe.:(

Best regards....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're completely skipping the point here Mary: you have ZERO charity. Hence, you are in violation of Paul's words, and serving only as clanging cymbal. Until you actually start carrying about the individual, you will remain so.
hmmmmm.....Violating Paul's word....ZERO charity....I must be a horrible person. :eek:

Sooooo when someone believes and preaches opposite of what you believe/preach they are in violation of Pauls word AND have no charity.....triple fascinating!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmmmmm.....Violating Paul's word....ZERO charity....I must be a horrible person. :eek:
You are a sinner in need of repentance. Abide by scripture: learn charity & care for the individual.
Sooooo when someone believes and preaches opposite of what you believe/preach they are in violation of Pauls word AND have no charity.....triple fascinating!
Red harring.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Point is:

1)
Scripture is clear: a Heartfelt Confession of Belief is required, BY the Individual; FOR the Individual to Receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

2)
Babies Make no Confession of Belief IN God or IN Christ the Lord.

3)
A person Proclaiming A CONFESSION for ANOTHER person is not Scripturally Sound Doctrine.

4)
Many persons ACCEPT the TEACHING of Men, THAT: A person CAN RECEIVE the Baptism of the Holy Spirit "WITHOUT" the Individual making his own CONFESSION OF BELIEF.
(YET they present NO Verifying Scripture to Support their claims.)

Glory to God,
Taken
Scripture was also "CLEAR" to other men who teach/preach/believe opposite of you. Soooooo how do WE figure out who was most clear?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a sinner in need of repentance. Abide by scripture: learn charity & care for the individual.

Red harring.
I am a sinner in need of repentance and in violation of Paul's word and I have no charity......quadruple fascinating:rolleyes:

You are able to discern all that sitting behind a computer and reading what few words I have written? :eek:

You are truly a gifted person.....;)

Anymore insults or judgments you want to throw my way?

BTW....you are a sinner also....just sayin'

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a sinner in need of repentance and in violation of Paul's word and I have no charity......quadruple fascinating:rolleyes:

You are able to discern all that sitting behind a computer and reading what few words I have written? :eek:

You are truly a gifted person.....;)

Anymore insults or judgments you want to throw my way?

BTW....you are a sinner also....just sayin'
When you literally say you don't care about what an individual thinks/believes, it's pretty dang obvious. Learning to care about the individual will enable you to be a witness of God's words, rather than a clanging cymbal.