Is infant baptism from the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So perhaps it isn't wise to generalise.
No one is generalizing anything. If churches would go by what the Scriptures say they would do exactly what the apostles did. And even Paul had to be baptized within days of his conversion. That is how critical it was. In fact, Christian baptism cannot be divorced from the Gospel, and preachers should know that.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My own baptism came years after my rebirth and Spirit baptism. And it was the same for lots of people I know. In fact I don't know anybody who was baptised immediately after coming to Christ. But even then it was valid and wonderful. So perhaps it isn't wise to generalise.
Probably the practice varies from one congregation to another.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you taken. You should really stop lying. I gave Scripture.

Mary ~ I have not spoke FOR you. I have not made Claims FOR you.
No, I have not lied.

You rejected it....

Mary ~ I already acknowledged YOU presented Scripture.
So, No, I did not lie.

Mary ~ Yes I rejected the Scriptures you Presented....And TOLD YOU SPECIFICALLY the Scriptures you presented DID NOT, address
YOUR CLAIMS....
So, No, I did not lie.

The Scriptures you presented DID NOT say ONE THING about Baby Baptism, Water Baptism, OR Anyone Receiving the Holy Spirit WITHOUT having Confessed Belief.

And after Multiple times of ASKING YOU to Present RELEVANT Scriptures, You didn't.
That does not make me a liar.
That simply makes YOU incompentant.

your problem not mine.

No Mary, your incompentancey IS not my problem, nor does it affect me one iota.

You are right....infants do not make up entire families and even though Scripture says the promise is for me and my children... infants are not children.

LOL, thanks for sharing more of your words that have nothing to do with the Point.

I'm wrong.....You win. ;)

LOL -

Glory to God who has revealed this to me....Mary

LOL... Thanks for clarifying the Catholic position, and it's origins in Traditions of Catholic men.

Glory to God,
Taken

D

Dave L

No one is generalizing anything. If churches would go by what the Scriptures say they would do exactly what the apostles did. And even Paul had to be baptized within days of his conversion. That is how critical it was. In fact, Christian baptism cannot be divorced from the Gospel, and preachers should know that.
After Jesus converted me I looked for a church to baptize me but it was probably a month or so later when they scheduled a mass baptism in the river, conditions permitting.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And even Paul had to be baptized within days of his conversion.

ARE you speaking of Water Baptism?
And what Scripture verifies what you are teaching?

Thanks,
Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary ~ I have not spoke FOR you. I have not made Claims FOR you.
No, I have not lied.

Mary ~ I already acknowledged YOU presented Scripture.
So, No, I did not lie.

Mary ~ Yes I rejected the Scriptures you Presented....And TOLD YOU SPECIFICALLY the Scriptures you presented DID NOT, address
YOUR CLAIMS....
So, No, I did not lie.

The Scriptures you presented DID NOT say ONE THING about Baby Baptism, Water Baptism, OR Anyone Receiving the Holy Spirit WITHOUT having Confessed Belief.

And after Multiple times of ASKING YOU to Present RELEVANT Scriptures, You didn't.
That does not make me a liar.
That simply makes YOU incompentant.

No Mary, your incompentancey IS not my problem, nor does it affect me one iota.

LOL, thanks for sharing more of your words that have nothing to do with the Point.

LOL -

LOL... Thanks for clarifying the Catholic position, and it's origins in Traditions of Catholic men.

Glory to God,
Taken
You do keep me entertained.....;)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is settled. I already said I am wrong. You are right.

Anyone that's says' anything opposite of you is wrong. What more do you want me to say?

All the men who teach opposite of you are wrong. How much more clear can I be??

You (also a man) are right.

Glory to God who is always right....Mary

LOL
Mary ~ already said, there is NOTHING more for you to say.

You have already revealed you believe Traditions of the Catholic church.
You have already revealed you can not support your beliefs with valid Scripture.
You have already revealed you make arbitrary claims, and also make claims you do not believe.

If you have not yet understood, you have presented nothing to convince me to consider anything you have said, as edifying.

Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have already revealed you believe Traditions of the Catholic church.

Glory to God,
Taken
You accept your traditions....I accept mine....we are the same....;)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the practice varies from one congregation to another.
It varies greatly farouk. The traditional churches don't or won't do it and I have seen many baptisms but never one that came immediately after rebirth. I even had the privilege of baptising a lady at my church and that was a really wonderful experience, but she had been a Christian for a while. And I still think it's wrong to generalise and say it should happen as soon as you become a Christian. That would be the ideal but it is not an ideal world or even an ideal Church. God understands that and doesn't turn anybody away from baptism however long they have known him. And he doesn't turn away those who are never baptised IMO. Were you baptised immediatley after you came to Christ?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It varies greatly farouk. The traditional churches don't or won't do it and I have seen many baptisms but never one that came immediately after rebirth. I even had the privilege of baptising a lady at my church and that was a really wonderful experience but she had been a Christian for a while. And I still think it's wrong to say it should happen as soo as you become a Christian. That would be the ideal but it is not an ideal world or even an ideal Church. God understands that and doesn't turn anybody away from baptism however long they have known him. And he doesn't turn away those who are never baptised IMO. Were you baptised immediatley after you came to Christ?
It was at my request and conviction, when I attained a fairly responsible age.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You accept your traditions....I accept mine....we are the same....;)

No, we are not the same.

I accept Scriptural teaching of individuals making their own confession of heartfelt Belief, before they receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Glory to God,
Taken

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was not an adult when I look at the time I truly believed, so I can understand, in places that immerse, a tendency to wait until the person is of a more responsible age.
But were you a Christian, were you born again?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we are not the same.

I accept Scriptural teaching of individuals making their own confession of heartfelt Belief, before they receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yup....and those individuals are right. After all it's pretty clear they are right since YOU said they are right. ;)

Once again you prove we are the same. I also accept Scriptural teaching of individuals making their own confession of heartfelt Belief, before they receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Glory to God....Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet another offpoint deflection.

Nothing to Compare.
My Clear Point is from "Scripture"
Your Clear Point is from your church "Tradition."

Already acknowledged YOUR TRADITION, and have ZERO Interest in YOUR TRADITION.

Stop deflecting...COMPARE Scripture with Scripture.

Show In Scripture...
Baby Baptism.
Show in Scirpture...
Baptism of the Holy Spirit WITHOUT that persons Confession.

Rom 10
  1. [9] That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
  2. [10] For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Glory to God,
Taken
Simply confessing with your mouth doesn't save you.

Jesus stated explicitly about people like YOU who put all of their hope in ONE passage of Scripture instead of reading the ENTIRE Gospel in context:
Matt. 7:21

"NOT everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord!' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but ONLY the one who DOES THE WILL of My Father in heaven.

Romans 10:9-10 is a good START - but by NO means the ends.
James reminds us that even the DEMONS believe and tremble (James 2:19). If that's ALL you do - you're no better off than THEY are . . .

Show me in Scripture where:
- Infant Baptism is taught against.
- ENTIRE households didn't include children.
- Everything we believe as Christians is explicitly taught in Scripture.

Until you can do that - the implicit teaching of Scripture and the explicit teaching of Sacred Tradition and Church History SQUASHES your impotent argument . . .

Reactions: Marymog

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I also accept Scriptural teaching of individuals making their own confession of heartfelt Belief, before they receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit."

You mean "ALSO" in addition to Baby's receiving the Holy Spirit, without Confession?

Glory to God,
Taken

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, just like Scripture says.