Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How many here if had a brother to die would take his wife? This is crazy?
Oh you mean the duty of an husband's brother; that aspect? it's very much Old Testament era, not New Testament. The discussion above seems anyway to have gone away from that strictly Old Testament aspect.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh you mean the duty of an husband's brother; that aspect? it's very much Old Testament era, not New Testament. The discussion above seems anyway to have gone away from that strictly Old Testament aspect.
Seems too be what the op is founded on

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I'm off topic I apologise.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As a QF Christian, I personally see general contraception like smoking. The Bible doesn't speak directly to either, but the Holy Spirit has the right to convict us to stop, if He wants to.
There's always going to be individual conviction about those matters...

It's when ppl start to try to legislate to others about those matters that is problematic.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think in any case that it would be odd and even offensive for local churches to try to implement so called "policy" on a matter such a private matter as contraception.
They only need go with the global rule given in scripture:

"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled" Hebrews 13:4

And whatever happens in the sacred marriage bed is no one else's business!!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No! Abortion is not murder of babies. Abortion is merely discarding miscellaneous unformed fetal tissue, which having never been a living being, of course cannot be murdered.

Hello Sir, nice to meet u, I hope your doing well.
Can you please elaborate on your position on abortion

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know that fertilization isn't guaranteed, but I have never heard that failure to implant was naturally common.

If a normally fertile couple have sex frequently without contraception (so woman is ovulating and nothing prevents sperm from meeting egg), their "chance" of the woman conceiving each month (i.e. embryo getting as far as implantation, which occurs just before missed period) is 1 in 3.

So what happens the other 2 out of 3 times? We don't know for certain, but we do know that embryos created through IVF very often fail to implant when placed in the womb. So it's not unreasonable to suspect that an awful lot of normally fertilised ova (one estimate is 50%) fail to implant for one reason or another.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are talking about the use of contraception within a marriage

I would first like to hear from others before putting my opinion forward
Is it a sin to use contraception? Why/why not?
Feel free to use the bible, reasoning, a churches position or anything else
If we're talking methods that don't kill embryos (like condemns), vast majority of Christian people will say "no" to this. The few dissenting voices will be some conservative Catholics. But even those people will embrace other forms of birth control (NFP, etc).

Majority of Christians are also against elective abortions.

As for myself: I'm totally cool with birth control in marriage, and anti-elective abortions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cristo Rei

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No! Abortion is not murder of babies. Abortion is merely discarding miscellaneous unformed fetal tissue, which having never been a living being, of course cannot be murdered.

I find this illogical and unscientific.

What is this "miscellaneous unformed fetal tissue"? If it's not "a living being", is it therefore inanimate or dead? When does it suddenly morph into a living human baby? 10 seconds before birth? 1 week before birth? 3 months? 6 months? If it's born very prematurely (say at 25 weeks gestation), how do you make a distinction between that and a full-term baby?

I suggest you study some embryology. In reality, no fetal tissue is "unformed" - already by the time of implantation it has structure. Within a few weeks it has a human shape and a detectable heartbeat, so by no stretch of the imagination can it be described as "inanimate".

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we're talking methods that don't kill embryos (like condemns), vast majority of Christian people will say "no" to this. The few dissenting voices will be some conservative Catholics. But even those people will embrace other forms of birth control (NFC, etc).

Majority of Christians are also against elective abortions.

As for myself: I'm totally cool with birth control in marriage, and anti-elective abortions.
What is NFC.? Neither my wife nor I have ever heard the term... and google searches turn up nothing.