Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know that fertilization isn't guaranteed, but I have never heard that failure to implant was naturally common. IUDs abort zygotes by design. Their failure to implant without such deliberate interference is not a willful act.
I was really referring to events outside IUD use. Just because an initial fertilization happens, it does not necessarily mean that a firm implantation will occur; all to the oblivion of the couple, of course; and a development such as an unknown failure to implant on the part of an unknown fertilized egg can hardly be called an abortion; I would not have thought so, anyway. Some ppl might even try to argue against the specifics around condoms, but they would seem to be the most straightforward.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Before this thread goes on further, please be careful of the way you reply, don't go into much detail.

This is one of the rules

[*]No vulgar/obscene language or images. We are mostly adults here, but younger audiences frequent this forum as well. Please refrain from using offensive language in light of this. This is, by far not, just limited to swearing, and includes graphic language or content of sexual nature.

Sorry i will try not to elaborate as much. Im a bit surprised u pulled "w method" as it is the scientific term for spilling the seed
I've read the terms and rules on the bottom of the page. Is there something more detailed?
Well at least i know now cos I was going to introduce a topic about what is acceptable in the sexual relationship of a married couple
Its a really interesting topic but there is now way to discuss it... Ah well, its all good

Contraception is not listed as a sin in the Scriptures,
it is not a Biblical issue. Nowhere does Scripture forbid contraception, all the way up to abortion.

So it's ok to do if the Bible doesn't say its a sin. The Bible also doesn't say it's not a sin either.
I can think of some heinous actions that scripture doesn't cover. Is it ok to do these acts then?

But the Levitical law (and its punishments) was not yet in existence. There are other considerations:

1) This was more important than just a mere family thing. It was Onan's duty to father the next generation of God's people. A whole tribe of descendants was depending on him!
2) He could have been honest and refused to do his duty - but instead he made a pretence of doing it.
3) What about Tamar? She was evidently willing to have sex with her brother-in-law in order to become a mother, but Onan was in effect using her for his sexual gratification without giving her the 'reward'.

Thanks Deb. It's easy just to say no and ignore the passage in question.
Giving an alternate interpretation is thoughtful. Giving three of them thoughtful times 30
Its left me with some good food for thought...I appreciate that

No! Abortion is not murder of babies. Abortion is merely discarding miscellaneous unformed fetal tissue, which having never been a living being, of course cannot be murdered.

I didn't know there was pro abortion Christians. Do u have any limits or is it any reason up until birth? What if its born alive?

There is a moral argument that goes like this.
An immoral act is one that is intentional and does harm. Is there any harm being done in an abortion...
Well the unborn child can feel pain at 8 weeks and to abort it would mean to inflict pain upon it.
If u are inflicting pain u are inflicting harm. Therefore it is an immoral act in my eyes

Another argument is that it removes the responsibility from sex. Without abortion sex is a much more personal and intimate undertaking
With the abortion get out of jail card now people are much more promiscuous. Sex has less meaning and value

My wife & I are Quiverfull

Quiverfull. I had to look up that one. Ok so Catholics are quiverfull, right?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so Catholics are quiverfull, right?
As I understand it, they are different.
The Catholic view tends to solemnize every sex act as if it will bring about conception. Quiverfull
The QF view just enjoys sexual relations for what they are. We welcome conception (as God sees fit), but do not specifically seek it out.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Catholic view tends to solemnize every sex act as if it will bring about conception.
The QF view just enjoys sexual relations for what they are. We welcome conception (as God sees fit), but do not specifically seek it out.

Is quiverfull "abstaining from all forms of birth control and sterilization"? The RCCs position falls right into that category

QF? What is that?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QF? What is that?
QuiverFull.
Is quiverfull "abstaining from all forms of birth control and sterilization"?
Both abstain from such, but from the Catholic men that I have talked to, conception is the goal of every sex act whether it is successful or not.

Quiverfull couples just seek to enjoy each other and as they avail their sex life to God, He will pick the number of children and when they should be conceived.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Catholic view tends to solemnize every sex act as if it will bring about conception.
I guess some ppl might see them as superficially similar, though I see what you mean.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Sabertooth >> The Catholic view tends to solemnize every sex act as if it will bring about conception.

The Catholic view has nothing whatsoever to do with the Bible or Christianity!

Sabertooth >> The QF view just enjoys sexual relations for what they are. We welcome conception (as God sees fit), but do not specifically seek it out.

God has given us the intelligence to decide when conception is appropriate. There are no rules within marriage:

"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled." Hebrews 13:4

Whether contraception, abortion, or whatever; God has left the choice to us. No rules!

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Stan B : yes, the Bible is silent on contraception, but we who are convicted of Quiverfull operate under 1 Corinthians 10:23,
"All things are lawful for me,
but not all things are helpful;​
all things are lawful for me,
but not all things edify."​

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Stan B : yes, the Bible is silent on contraception, but we who are convicted of Quiverfull operate under 1 Corinthians 10:23,
Interesting; doesn't specify contraception or the whys and wherefores of condoms, but I guess applications can be privately made.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys are nuts, sin is when we try to function in our lives under laws given to a specific people millinia ago in order to try and justify ourselves.

Good luck!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I take it that in the light of your comment you certainly don't have a problem with the idea of Christian couples using condoms.
I could really care less what they choose, if they want too they could just talk about it and call it oral sex for all I care.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I take it that in the light of your comment you certainly don't have a problem with the idea of Christian couples using condoms.
It's the same with the tats, it's when people try to justify self that's when they get in to trouble.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I could really care less what they choose, if they want too they could just talk about it and call it oral sex for all I care.
I think in any case that it would be odd and even offensive for local churches to try to implement so called "policy" on a matter such a private matter as contraception.

Reactions: Stan B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But not all things are expedient.

God has left such matters in our hands, to engage in that which is expedient.