Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
See Mark12

This was the Lord Jesus' response:

"Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven." (Mark 12.24-25)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven." (Mark 12.24-25)
We see the Widow casting in all she has in hope, but she is casting in to a den of Torah toting lawerys who only wish to devour her house.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The power of God.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe God wants for you to see what the story of Onan is truly about, and it is revealed in the new testament.

Are u just basically saying that God killed Onan cos he was supposed to care for his brothers wife?
If so I already addressed it. If not then ur going to have to be less elusive and spell it out my friend

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the following chapter Jesus steps outside and rebukes this system and says it's all coming down and great will be it's fall

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im still shocked at learning that there are pro abortion Christians really.
Shows how much i don't know about other denominations i guess

Hello Cristo, and welcome here!
I too was pretty shocked at some of the things I read on here when I first came on here. So many differing beliefs within Christianity.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are u just basically saying that God killed Onan cos he was supposed to care for his brothers wife?
If so I already addressed it. If not then ur going to have to be less elusive and spell it out my friend
How about thus, only God has the right to be present in my bedroom, not you or anyone else. I hope this is simple enough.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Cristo, and welcome here!
I too was pretty shocked at some of the things I read on here when I first came on here. So many differing beliefs within Christianity.

Thanks Nancy.
I don't think that the pro abortion position is actually supported by any churches but I don't really know maybe im wrong

Reactions: Nancy

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the passage there is about her supposed use of contraception... :rolleyes:
Are you sure, I see the lawyers there covering themselves in a robe of self righteousness. Preventing her from receiving what is her right portion? But they do put on a good show for pretence.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Are you sure, I see the lawyers there covering themselves in a robe of self righteousness. Preventing her from receiving what is her right portion? But they do put on a good show for pretence.
Oh I agree with what you say there; but the passage doesn't seem to be talking about her supposed use of bc.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can u please be more clear instead of being cryptic cos i still don't know what u mean

Hi Cristo,
I think what Waiting on Him is trying to say (correct if I'm wrong @Waiting on him )
The dead man’s brother had to marry his SIL , and count the first son they bore as his dead brother’s child. This kept the brother’s name from vanishing and gave the destitute widow an inheritance.

(Deut. 25:5-10 "5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband’s brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel. 7 However, if a man does not want to marry his brother’s wife, she shall go to the elders at the town gate and say, “My husband’s brother refuses to carry on his brother’s name in Israel. He will not fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to me.” 8 Then the elders of his town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying, “I do not want to marry her,” 9 his brother’s widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elders, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say, “This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother’s family line.” 10 That man’s line shall be known in Israel as The Family of the Unsandaled."

So as I see this, Onan sinned by not allowing the SIL to become pregnant, and he also dishonored his brother by not keeping his brothers heritage alive.
JMO.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I agree with what you say there; but the passage doesn't seem to be talking about her supposed use of bc.

It was Onan who prevented pregnancy.
Onan is willing to marry Tamar (his dead brothers wife) and enjoy the physical pleasures of their relationship, but he is unwilling to bear the burden of raising up a son for his brother. Each time he sleeps with Tamar he acts to prevent impregnating her (Gen. 38:8–9). By this Onan figuratively raises his fist against heaven since his deeds ultimately attempt to block God’s promise to give Jacob many grandsons (35:11). Thus, the Lord strikes him down (38:10).

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So as I see this, Onan sinned by not allowing the SIL to become pregnant, and he also dishonored his brother by not keeping his brothers heritage alive.
But the "death" judgment is unprecedented. Normally, the refusal to provide an heir was frowned upon, but nobody died [Deuteronomy 25:5-10]. That is why I think that this case had something different going on.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the obstruction to the lineage of Jesus.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was Onan who prevented pregnancy.
Onan is willing to marry Tamar (his dead brothers wife) and enjoy the physical pleasures of their relationship, but he is unwilling to bear the burden of raising up a son for his brother. Each time he sleeps with Tamar he acts to prevent impregnating her (Gen. 38:8–9). By this Onan figuratively raises his fist against heaven since his deeds ultimately attempt to block God’s promise to give Jacob many grandsons (35:11). Thus, the Lord strikes him down (38:10).
Matthew 3:9 KJV
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
Thank God Jesus doesn't believe in contraceptive practices.