Is it idolatry or work?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

J.W.

May 18, 2021
Lafayette
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I have been wrestling for some insight on something. I work in IT at a fairly high level. I believe God gave me my career as a blessing because honestly, the way I came about getting into tech was something of miracle in my life and it has bettered my families life SO much ever since and allowed me much more focus on Him as a result. Here's the thing though, I have to study so much for my career at times I feel like I'm leaving my spiritual life behind at times to immerse myself in my work. But, I don't want to discount God's blessing of my career either. We have a farm too, and as much as I enjoy my tech career, I'm always so much happier when I'm dealing with the dirt and livestock (but in today's world, those don't really pay the bills as much as my career). The farm is more of a hobby. So my question is this, when do I know when my career has become idolatry and isn't a gift from God anymore?

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I have been wrestling for some insight on something. I work in IT at a fairly high level. I believe God gave me my career as a blessing because honestly, the way I came about getting into tech was something of miracle in my life and it has bettered my families life SO much ever since and allowed me much more focus on Him as a result. Here's the thing though, I have to study so much for my career at times I feel like I'm leaving my spiritual life behind at times to immerse myself in my work. But, I don't want to discount God's blessing of my career either. We have a farm too, and as much as I enjoy my tech career, I'm always so much happier when I'm dealing with the dirt and livestock (but in today's world, those don't really pay the bills as much as my career). The farm is more of a hobby. So my question is this, when do I know when my career has become idolatry and isn't a gift from God anymore?

ask a doctor or a lawyer. they have to study constantly. IT is no different, by the time you learn IT its obsolete, and you learn it again. you'll basically learn how to do your job all over again every 3-4 years if not more, otherwise, work in another industry.

also, seen people before that use their "religion" as a excuse or justification to quit. one is poor all the time. if you think that's what the Lord would have you do, there's a very good chance you're mistaken. if the Lord wants you out of IT he will make it so should you ask.

and if you're honest with yourself you know if its idolatry or not.

Reactions: Nancy and J.W.

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
as much as I enjoy my tech career, I'm always so much happier when I'm dealing with the dirt and livestock (but in today's world, those don't really pay the bills as much as my career
This may be a good indication. If you need your career to pay the bills, how could it be idolatry? Now if you wanted the extra money to buy things you don't need, that would be another story.

Reactions: Jay Ross