Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's creation science about eating healthy vs. unhealthy did not change. It's no longer a salvation issue; but it still can be a health issue.

And, under the New Covenant... if one eats pork it's not a sin that separates us from the Lord.

I agree that it's not healthy, but it's no longer a sin as it was under the old covenant.

It's not a problem if one wants to have church on Saturday or eat pork, unless they claim one must do these things in order to be saved. That's when it becomes false doctrine and one is relying on their good works to earn their own salvation.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still not the point.

The law changed via Christ, but God's creation science about eating healthy vs. unhealthy did not change. It's no longer a salvation issue; but it still can be a health issue.
The Law did change with Christ--for instance, He denounced taking vows as "of the evil one" (Mt 5)--so, it's no longer "all or nothing", which is how the Gentile believers (it doesn't refer to lost Gentiles, but Gentile believers who have the Law written on their heart, which is a New Covenant promise (Jer 31:31-34)) are deemed "doers of the Law" who will be "repaid eternal life" despite not having or knowing the Law (Ro 2:5-16).

Again, this proves men DO NOT need to know the Law to be deemed "doers of the Law".

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law did change with Christ--for instance, He denounced taking vows as "of the evil one" (Mt 5)--so, it's no longer "all or nothing", which is how the Gentile believers (it doesn't refer to lost Gentiles, but Gentile believers who have the Law written on their heart, which is a New Covenant promise (Jer 31:31-34)) are deemed "doers of the Law" who will be "repaid eternal life" despite not having or knowing the Law (Ro 2:5-16).
I did... say the law changed, so you're preaching to the choir on that point.

Again, this proves men DO NOT need to know the Law to be deemed "doers of the Law".
Irrelevant to the matter about God's creation involving eating healthy vs. eating unhealthy.

The 'hinge point' of this argument among my Christian brethren today is, that blessing unhealthy food in the name of Lord Jesus Christ will miraculously make it healthy to eat, as if something chemically got altered in the food. That simply is not so.

And those who say it does get altered grossly abuse... the Acts 10 Scripture about God telling Peter to take and eat of the blanket of unhealthy animals. God was simply using the blanket of unhealthy animals as a symbol to not call Gentiles unclean.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy Crockett must not have read 1 Timothy

1 Timothy 4:3-5
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did... say the law changed, so you're preaching to the choir on that point.
I wanted to make sure we were on the same page, because many others on your side are not on the same page.
I am glad you agree--at least one of you is honest!
Irrelevant to the matter about God's creation involving eating healthy vs. eating unhealthy.
1. Either way, it's beside the point, because the discussion centers around sin and righteousness, not health.
2. The healthiest way to eat was given in Genesis 1--vegetables and fruit.
This is being discovered by science now--eating low protein activates SIRT2 anti-aging pathway, flooding your body with amino acids shuts that pathway down temporarily (as long as you're eating that way).
The "healthiest" way to eat was NOT outlined at Sinai.
The 'hinge point' of this argument among my Christian brethren today is, that blessing unhealthy food in the name of Lord Jesus Christ will miraculously make it healthy to eat, as if something chemically got altered in the food. That simply is not so.
I don't think that is the discussion. The discussion, to me, is about "God's will", and whether people are permitted to eat foods that had been designated "unclean".
And those who say it does get altered grossly abuse... the Acts 10 Scripture about God telling Peter to take and eat of the blanket of unhealthy animals. God was simply using the blanket of unhealthy animals as a symbol to not call Gentiles unclean.
I know and appreciate where you're coming from, but I think you're missing something: the Jewish Christians, afterward, came and confronted Peter about having eaten with Gentiles. The vision meant the Gentiles were accepted AS THEY ARE, WITH THEIR DIET, and, since Jesus already commanded, "Eat what ever is set before you", that command meant that Peter was to eat with the Gentiles their diet of unclean foods, that that Law had been done away with just as many other laws had been. The main point today is glorifying the Lord Jesus (which was what Peter was engaged in doing while at Cornelius's house), not foods you eat, therefore, "whether you eat or drink or what ever you do, do all for the glory of God". Why else would God have indicated the cleanness of the Gentiles by telling Peter to get up and eat with them? Why would God not have chosen some other practice of theirs which God DOES NOT accept (eg, idolatry)?

Also, we're not free from dietary restrictions to indulge, as Paul says in Galatians 5, but we're free from restrictions to serve one another by the faith that God's Holy Spirit works in our hearts, which is God's righteousness, not our own righteousness we work from the knowledge of good and evil/the Law. We are saved, and we are to know the Lord, and live before Him, and these matters (observance of days, dietary restrictions) are personal between us and the Lord, not general rules for us to push on everyone else.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus our reward, so does that mean we can rob banks?
Jesus our truth, so does that mean we can tell lies?

Jesus our rest, but somehow that means we can BREAK THE SABBATH...right?

If you read Hebrews 4:9 Peshitta Version, you'll see the Greek is properly rendered as "It is therefore the DUTY of the people of God to keep the Sabbath." Many don't know this, and so they erroneously claim "the Sabbath is the only commandment not repeated in the NT".
Well all Greek texts do not support this Peshitta translation. Nothing about keeping the Sabbath. However Jewish believers are still under the command to keep Sabbath for it is an eternal covenant God made with Israel.
Jesus our reward, so does that mean we can rob banks?
Jesus our truth, so does that mean we can tell lies?

Jesus our rest, but somehow that means we can BREAK THE SABBATH...right?
This is all just silly deflection.

Paul said all foods are to be received with thanks and Jesus said that nothing a person eats can defile them.

But to you Jesus is a liar as well as Paul.

Reactions: GracePeace

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah, they DID hear and complain about Paul's teaching!
They complained about much of his teaching, true, mostly about circumcision. Never about Paul or the disciples sudden ceasing their previous observance of the Sabbath. Even the gentiles asked Paul to meet with them on Sabbath, and the entire city showed up. See acts 13.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They complained about much of his teaching, true, mostly about circumcision. Never about Paul or the disciples sudden ceasing their previous observance of the Sabbath. Even the gentiles asked Paul to meet with them on Sabbath, and the entire city showed up. See acts 13.
1. Yes, they complained that he had left the traditions, and that he had taught others to do the same--precisely what he did, yet, in another way, he upheld the traditions (ie, he taught the fruition of the tradition--though he taught the Law was no longer our authority on serving God, but it was because It Itself demanded Its own retirement (Ro 7:1-6, 8:3; Gal 2:19), and that, nevertheless, grace and faith established the Law/made adherents righteous (Ro 3:31))!

2. The reason why Paul met with the Jews on Sabbath was because that was the time to speak to the Jews in their Synagogue (where they meet on Sabbaths)--remember that "to the Jew I become a Jew" (1 Corinthians 9:19+)--and, seeing this pattern, the Gentiles thought they could expect to get a "yes" to their petition to hear from Paul again if they asked him to speak with them again on the same day he always went to speak.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree that it's not healthy, but it's no longer a sin as it was under the old covenant.
You think it may be a possibility that the reason God forbade His people from eating pigs, and shellfish and carrion birds etc, was for that very reason... He knew they were unhealthy and therefore never intended as food? You guys seem to believe God then changed His mind, and said, it's now okay for my precious church, the apple of My eye, to eat whatever and die early of disease and have blood issues, and no longer be effective witnesses for Me. That simply makes no sense, and you are giving God a bad name. All to satisfy your cravings for appetite and taste.
Paul said all foods are to be received with thanks
Yes. All food!!!
If God forbade anyone from eating anything, then it isn't fit for food, and we are disobeying God by eating it.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And the Apostles did not include Saturday sabbath at the Counsel of Jerusalem in Acts 15

If Saturday sabbath was a requirement for Christians, then they would have included this but they did not.

Obviously the Holy Spirit did not lead them to include Saturday sabbath as being required for Christians.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think it may be a possibility that the reason God forbade His people from eating pigs, and shellfish and carrion birds etc, was for that very reason... He knew they were unhealthy and therefore never intended as food? You guys seem to believe God then changed His mind, and said, it's now okay for my precious church, the apple of My eye, to eat whatever and die early of disease and have blood issues, and no longer be effective witnesses for Me. That simply makes no sense, and you are giving God a bad name. All to satisfy your cravings for appetite and taste.

Yes. All food!!!
If God forbade anyone from eating anything, then it isn't fit for food, and we are disobeying God by eating it.
God has "changed His mind" already many times.

Incest used to be a holy command--in Genesis 1, when He commanded, "Be fruitful and multiply", at bare minimum, God was commanding incest between brother and sister (and we don't know if that included parent-child relations, uncle-niece relations, etc)!

Now, during these times, God has changed that and says if you do it it is the work of the devil.

Before, God said men were to eat green herbs, and fruits and veggies; later, after the Flood, God gave Noah all the animals to eat.

God commanded ONLY the moveable Tabernacle be built, so He could "walk among His people"; later on, David gets God to concede to him building a non-ambulatory Temple in Jerusalem, though God could no longer "walk among His people".

Jesus denounces taking of vows, commanded in Torah, as "of the evil one" (Mt 5), and nullifies "any cause" divorce given in Torah (Mt 19).

Wake up!

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Apostles did not include Saturday sabbath at the Counsel of Jerusalem in Acts 15

If Saturday sabbath was a requirement for Christians, then they would have included this but they did not.

Obviously the Holy Spirit did not lead them to include Saturday sabbath as being required for Christians.
Notice how when Paul speaks of "works of the flesh", or evil deeds, in various places, he NEVER denounces "sabbath breaking"?

Galatians 5
19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1
6For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions.
8But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers...

No denouncement of "sabbath breakers"!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys seem to believe God then changed His mind

What happened was the old covenant was taken away so the Lord could bring forth a New Covenant which is based on walking with the Lord by faith not by works alone.

Under the New Covenant it's clearly not a sin to eat bottom feeders, so people can do that is they want and still be saved.

Those that want to keep the old testament laws and regulations can if they'd like. But, if they believe keeping those ordinances are required to be saved, then they have crossed over in to false doctrine.

you are giving God a bad name. All to satisfy your cravings for appetite and taste.

Actually I'm going by what the New Testament teaches.

If you dislike the New Covenant, then live under the old covenant and believe that keeping dietary laws are required for your salvation instead of faith in what Jesus did. That's not how one gets to Heaven... but you do you!

No denouncement of "sabbath breakers"!

Good point! If Satuday sabbath was a requirement you can be sure Paul would be correcting people

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point! If Satuday sabbath was a requirement you can be sure Paul would be correcting people
He'd be there, like white on rice, admonishing them to observe the 7th Day Sabbath--instead, we have the opposite: "Don't let anyone judge you about observing a sabbath because it was just a shadow but Christ is the substance" Col 2:16, 17 (just as Hebrews 10 says the Law contained mere shadows), and REPRIMANDING the Galatians for being under Law and observing special days like the 7th day sabbath (Gal 4:10).

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1. Yes, they complained that he had left the traditions, and that he had taught others to do the same--precisely what he did, yet, in another way, he upheld the traditions (ie, he taught the fruition of the tradition--though he taught the Law was no longer our authority on serving God, but it was because It Itself demanded Its own retirement (Ro 7:1-6, 8:3; Gal 2:19), and that, nevertheless, grace and faith established the Law/made adherents righteous (Ro 3:31))!

2. The reason why Paul met with the Jews on Sabbath was because that was the time to speak to the Jews in their Synagogue (where they meet on Sabbaths)--remember that "to the Jew I become a Jew" (1 Corinthians 9:19+)--and, seeing this pattern, the Gentiles thought they could expect to get a "yes" to their petition to hear from Paul again if they asked him to speak with them again on the same day he always went to speak.
Not only in the synagogues. Where their was no Jewish presence in some cities he would meet people wherever they gathered together...on riverbanks, in homes. But never on Sunday... Not once. Or any other day. Not that he wouldn't witness or pray or worship probably every day, but sacred solemn meetings for corporate worship in the early church for several hundred years after the resurrection, were held on the Sabbath. This was the common practise not just for converted Jews, but in nations where there was no Jewish presence such as in Britain. The early Celtic church of Britain were Sabbath keepers. As was the Assyrian church of the east, and the church in Goa begun by the apostle Thomas, even churches as close as Italy itself, except in Rome. Sabbath keeping as a practise didn't cease without opposition and persecution.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That council didn't include a lot of things. Like preaching the gospel. Baptism. It only adjudicated on things over which there was controversy or confusion. 4 things. Apart from those 4 things, the scope for Christian living according to those today who use it to deny God's authority in appointing a day sacred to Him, is very wide isn't it. Get away with anything if you've a mind to.
But why do you think they only made recommendations regarding those 4 things? Because
KJV Acts 15:21
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes. All food!!!
Well then you have to say god changed His mind about lots of things.

Rebellious kids were to be stoned and that is no longer a command. Not having sex with your wife during her menstrual cycle was forbidden and now is no longer. the shape of your beard was commanded but is no longer.

But if you hold that God commanded it and it is to last for all time- then you have to say Jesus and Paul lied.

Jesus said that nothing a person eats defiles a man

Paul said all foods are to be eaten with thanksgiving. God didn't change HIs mind, He just had different rules for different people at different times.

No show how eating pork or eel or deer makes one a poor witness.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So (sic) show how eating pork or eel or deer makes one a poor witness.
You think pork and eels and venison is the only witness problem within the Christian church? How about tobacco? Alcohol? Rock music? What do those things say to unbelievers about respect for God and His word? What does it say about the character of God that He allows those things, even sent His Son to die so you could do them? How about the common belief regarding God's determination to roast unbelievers in fire for all eternity?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think pork and eels and venison is the only witness problem within the Christian church? How about tobacco? Alcohol? Rock music? What do those things say to unbelievers about respect for God and His word? What does it say about the character of God that He allows those things, even sent His Son to die so you could do them? How about the common belief regarding God's determination to roast unbelievers in fire for all eternity?
First off I do not think that the prohibited meats of the Mosaic Law are a poor witness if believers eat them.

Secular music is a problem and not just secular rock, country and pop music are disgusting in many songs as well. It is not the rhythm but the lyrics that make something bad.

In Jesus day everyone drank wine (not grape juice). Even in proverbs it says to take strong drink (alcohol) to soothe a sad heart.

The prohibition we have is to not be frunk, it does not say to never drink.

Yes tobacco is a poor testimony for it is drug use. It also is a direct harm to the body, so we should refrain.

But your trying to equate eating pork with drunkenness and tobacco is a failed attempt at equivalence.

Once again if you wish to refrain form eating pork, that is your privilege in the Lord. But do not sin by judging believers who do eat prok.

BTW in the old days you could get sick on all sorts of "clean meats" if they were not cooked properly as well. and today pork no longer is a danger in many countries because of how they are raised, fed and butchered.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That council didn't include a lot of things.

The topic of discussion at the Counsel of Jerusalem in Acts 15 was do Christians have to keep the Law of Moses to be saved.

You can't explain this way, just like you cannot explain away why Jesus and His Apostles never taught anybody to keep Saturday sabbath.

If you want to have church on Saturday, no problem. Unless you believe that makes you righteous.

If you want to go around telling others they cannot be saved unless they have church on Saturday, that's false doctrine.