Is it right to imagine god?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Is it a sin if i form the image of god in my heart? sometimes during worship or praise, i see or imagine a great wing golden creature.

I think it's idolatry since i have not seen god.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it a sin if i form the image of god in my heart? sometimes during worship or praise, i see or imagine a great wing golden creature.

Yes, I would be very careful with such a practice.

Deu 4:12 Then the LORD spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice. . .

Deu 4:15 "Therefore watch yourselves very carefully. Since you saw no form on the day that the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
Deu 4:16 beware lest you act corruptly by making a carved image for yourselves, in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female,
Deu 4:17 the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air,
Deu 4:18 the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water under the earth.

Act 17:29 Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.

Isa 46:5 "To whom will you liken me and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike?
Isa 46:6 Those who lavish gold from the purse, and weigh out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

You are imagining a middle ages version of an angel, not God.

If you want a picture to hang your dreams on, use the one of Jesus in the N.T. In the gospels, He is a gentle and kind preacher. In Revelation, He is the One seated on the Great White Throne.
The Bible is our benchmark. No figure or imagined image apart from that represented there is valid or true.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
When I "picture" God in my mind this is the first image that comes to mind...

Leslie+Nielsen+File+Photos+Leslie+Nielsen+3eO_AZp_eQ_l.jpg

Why not?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
That's just as wacky as picturing Him as Leslie Nielsen. God is Spirit... however, we, being flesh, have a very difficult time relating to an entirely foreign concept as the non-corporealness of God.

God was wise (of course) in forbidding the worshipping of an image that we claim represents Him, lest we lose sight of what He considers important (namely His divine attributes, not His divine appearance). It is of far more importance to know who God IS rather than what God looks like.

To quote Yoda, "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not."

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is it ok to imagine what Jesus looked like?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
We don't have to imagine. Jesus was a Jew and we have a reasonable generality of what Jwes look like. He probably looked far more like this:
153039697_6d60409957_z.jpg

Than He did this:

400_F_6276409_jHW0joj85499tRgXxptDLjmhCaa8OTgy.jpg

(null)

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Christ told us what God Looks like.

John 4
24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

15 He is the image of the invisible God,

Do you know Now why no one has seen God except through Christ?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

Well the image is not God that is for sure. God does not have wings.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St Teresa of Avila wrote a book called 'The Interior Castle' - she always used images to navigate her inner relationship with God during contemplation. The book is free on the web.