Is it wrong to respect other's religious beliefs?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
spiritual-journey;71567]I recently to visit the twin concentration camps Aushwitz-Birkenau. Like the first poster I visited the gas chamber. Whilst I was there I also saw the death certificate of Maximillian Kolbe said:
An unbeliever I think is different than someone who serves false gods or images. But I think their necks are hardened for a reason. I think we should look where our feet walk and focus on our own paths instead of looking what others are doing. doing what the Lord our God expects from us is what she should focus on. I know many a times I might struggle with this. :(

The Barbarian

Sep 13, 2009
We can respect a person to have a right to view their beliefs, but we can't respect religious beliefs in itself... I believe by heart that God doesn't want us to respect those beliefs that God never said or respect the actions of any false doctrines and hatred towards God.
I believe that is Jesus' point WRT the Good Samaritan. The man was opposed to the Jewish faith, particularly since he was so close to that faith but differed on essential points.And yet Jews and Samaritans who love God are my brothers in Christ, even if they don't understand. They seek to serve Him as best they can, those who truly love him. And that is enough.

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
[quote name='cemab4y;71159]I cherish freedom of religion. I have seen up close and personal' date=' what religious bigotry can cause. I have been to the gas chambers at Dachau, and met survivors of the holocaust. I respect other people's right to believe as they wish. I respect their freedom to worship (or not worship) according to the dictates of their conscience. I have been criticized for this belief. What do you think? Should we deny the freedom to others to worship Allah, or Buddha, or their ancestor spirits? Or Wicca, or satanism?[/QUOTE']Is it respect? No there is not respect there is the willingness to watch and allow someone to go to their death under the false eros love of respect.We don't have a say in what others do. Why we would think we can respect a false god and faith, I am not sure. As we cannot alter it, I believe that we are responsible for telling the truth that there is one God and one Lord Jesus Christ. That only in Christ and the belief in God is there salvation.I am not sure I can respect the religions who worship idols nor the people.Knowing we know the only true God, proves they do not know any god.Their words like their hearts are empty. As we have no control over what others believe we will see them go their own way. We can only tell the truth.Faithful.:)

geordie72

Sep 20, 2009
1st. Commandment, Exodus 20:3 “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”. Old Testament punishment - Deuteronomy 17:1-5 “And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heavens, which I have not commanded. Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing and shalt stone them with stones, till they die”. Deuteronomy 13:6-10, “If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is of thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. Thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God." Exodus 22:20 “He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed”. New Testament punishment - Mark 16:16 “He that believeth not, shall be damne..Its quite clear ... There must only be one God..and if any Christian thinks otherwise will go to hell.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Everything should be spoken out of love and out of charity and out of faith. You can present the truth, but there's certain ways of presenting it. You're not respecting the other religion. But, you are respecting that, the other person has deeply held values and views and doctrine. You should always becareful how you present things to certain people. Just like when your child does something like putting their hand on a hot stove. Would you stand there and call them stupid? Would you stand there an yell insults at them? Would you look at the crying child with a burn on their hand, and first tend to the burn? And would you give them love, and kiss their tears away? Then after everything is better, explain to them,, "See? That's why I told you don't touch the hot stove." That's the same way we should deal with people of other religions and people that believe in nothing. "Gentle as doves, shrewed as snakes"

Glenn

Apr 5, 2009
geordie72;73227]1st. Commandment said:
Remember the first stone question! Christs teaching under the demands of the OT should be seen in that light! right after calling some vipers He went to the cross and died for them Saul being a prime example; plus the powers of the world to come was being tasted by that generation, people being raised from the dead, all sickness being healed, supernatural events ect....and if you tasted those gifts in that time period and rejected Christ then yes you were considered blinded but even that is temporal Romans 11:28-31.We want to play God in our comdemnation of others ( I am guilty as well) when we all have closets full of stuff that may not past the smell test. Glen.

E

Elaine

Hi,I am personally too involved with myself and God to care whether someone thinks God is a Blue Boy with a flute making love to His gopis behind haybails or not. I admit it - I don't care.(I don't know any Buddhist, btw, that worships Buddha.) I respect all beliefs ---- it is not my job (it is above my pay grade) to judge anyone's belief ( I know that was not the OP ques.) I am so glad God has taken it off my shoulders --- He will draw them nearer to Him in His own time and way. What most Chistians don't realize is that Jesus was the Word - if someone in India knows that Word, but doesn't equate it to the physical Man that was manifest ---they still have the key ---though they may not call it Yeshuda, Jesus, Emmanuel, etc.It is the Word that was in the beginning ---and that is taught by alot of teachers in India. Oh, am I going to get flak for this post!! Ha! :)Elaine