Is it wrong to respect other's religious beliefs?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cemab4y

Jan 14, 2008
I cherish freedom of religion. I have seen up close and personal, what religious bigotry can cause. I have been to the gas chambers at Dachau, and met survivors of the holocaust. I respect other people's right to believe as they wish. I respect their freedom to worship (or not worship) according to the dictates of their conscience. I have been criticized for this belief. What do you think? Should we deny the freedom to others to worship Allah, or Buddha, or their ancestor spirits? Or Wicca, or satanism?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Should we deny the freedom to others to worship Allah, or Buddha, or their ancestor spirits? Or Wicca, or satanism?
How would we as a normal person go about enforcing this?The scripture is pretty clear on this. Paul never put down those that Worshiped all those other gods. He just preached the Word. Putting down, or showing a disrespect to another's belief is a sure way not to get the word of God across to them. Even those that are not saved apologizes to me for bad language they let slip around me. I tell them it's OK. I am not their judge. Now, if we had a government that had the ability to stop religious freedom?According to the Bible, other Gods were not allowed in the Old Testament. Because Jesus died for everyone, a Government should favor Jesus Our Lord and not acknowledge other belief systems. This does not mean they are put to death or treated different. It does not mean we accept their belief and give benefits for it. It also does not mean they have anything taken or be treated different and have the full other benefits of living under that government that the saved have.Making Jesus Lord is a heart condition. Forcing anyone or treating them wrongly is not allowing them to know Jesus in a personal way.Jesus Is Lord.

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
Brother Mike;71165]How would we as a normal person go about enforcing this? The scripture is pretty clear on this. Paul never put down those that Worshiped all those other gods. He just preached the Word. Putting down said:
I believe that Christians should respect the spiritual beliefs of others who believe differently than we do, if for no reason other than the fact that Jesus said no one could come to Him unless the father who sent Him draws them to do so, (John 6:44 & 65) Jesus choose His Apostles they didn't choose Him until He called them to do so, Had we been born and raised Buddests or Muslems we would most likely still believe as they do so unless or until the Holy Spirit intervenes and gives them the desire to change....Ray

Polar

Apr 10, 2009
What it comes down to is this: The person has freedom of choice to worship whomever they please. You should respect them and love them. But if asked or challenged, you should always point out that the only way to see heaven is through Jesus Christ. This can be done politely and out of love but needs to be done. If done that way, the the anger and frustration is the other person's problem. But you owe it to them to give them a reason to question their faith and look into this man named Jesus. Because, after a quick exploration, they will see he wasn't just a man at all.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
How can a true Christian ever respect the beliefs of Jesus-rejecting religions?We can respect the person, but not his beliefs.Let me put it as forcefully as I can- If there are going to be non-Christians in heaven, I say to God I don't want to go.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cemab4y;71159] I respect other people said:
I agree. I think everyone has the right to believe as they wish unmolested by government or society. However' date=' I would not pretend that other religions are just as valid as Christianity. Jesus didn't leave us that option:[I']Joh 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." [/I]

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Other religions are totally worthless. Here's why- Islam - doesn't have the Son of God in itJudaism - doesn't have the Son of God in itSikhism - doesn't have the Son of God in itBuddhism - doesn't have the Son of God in itHinduism - doesn't have the Son of God in itSpiritism - doesn't have the Son of God in itBahai - doesn't have the Son of God in itJainism - doesn't have the Son of God in itShinto - doesn't have the Son of God in itTaoism - doesn't have the Son of God in itZoroastanism - doesn't have the Son of God in itPaganism - doesn't have the Son of God in itRastafarianism - doesn't have the Son of God in itScientology - doesn't have the Son of God in itChinese traditional - doesn't have the Son of God in itAfrican tribal - doesn't have the Son of God in itCao Dai - doesn't have the Son of God in itTenrikyo - doesn't have the Son of God in itNew Age - doesn't have the Son of God in itUnitarian - doesn't have the Son of God in itNative American - doesn't have the Son of God in itFairy-worshipping cults etc etc - don't have the Son of God in them

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
MickinEngland;71182]Other religions are totally worthless. Here said:
Yes. This simple truth is supported in the following Scriptures: (2Co 4:3) But if our gospel be hid' date=' it is hid to them that are lost:[COLOR=#008080'](2Co 4:4)[/COLOR] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.(2Co 4:5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.(2Co 4:6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. The One World Religion agenda has leading academics meeting with representatives of major world religions to dialogue about ways to work together and reconcile differences - but since Jesus Christ is the only Way to salvation, there will always be a difference between Christianity and any other belief.

gumby

May 29, 2009
evryone has a right to persue any religion they so choose, but i can tell you first hand all these other religions lead nowhere and its best not to persue them.

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
Right, I myself have no interest whatsoever in Jesus-rejecters and don't want to be anywhere near them and their bad vibes.The Bible is absolutely scathing towards them-"dogs, pigs. " (Matt 7:6)"weeds" (Matt 13:38 )"brute beasts," (2 Peter 2:12)"heathens" (Jer 10:2)"fools" (Psalm 94:8 )"liars" (1 John 2:22/23) "defiled" (Titus 1:15)"filthy" (Rev 22:11)

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
[quote name='cemab4y;71159]I cherish freedom of religion. I have seen up close and personal' date=' what religious bigotry can cause. I have been to the gas chambers at Dachau, and met survivors of the holocaust. I respect other people's right to believe as they wish. I respect their freedom to worship (or not worship) according to the dictates of their conscience. I have been criticized for this belief. What do you think? Should we deny the freedom to others to worship Allah, or Buddha, or their ancestor spirits? Or Wicca, or satanism?[/QUOTE'] False gods are false gods. "Respecting" people who believe in these makes you just as they are. Foolish. I say stay away and follow The Lord our God and His commandments. If people defiled the altars of our Living God to destroy them and to sacrafice to their false gods, would you respect their decision? Absolutely not...STAY FAR AWAY FROM THOSE WHO SEEK FALSE gods.

chrissy

Nov 26, 2008
MickinEngland;71182 said:
Other religions are totally worthless. Here's why- Islam - doesn't have the Son of God in itJudaism - doesn't have the Son of God in itSikhism - doesn't have the Son of God in itBuddhism - doesn't have the Son of God in itHinduism - doesn't have the Son of God in itSpiritism - doesn't have the Son of God in itBahai - doesn't have the Son of God in itJainism - doesn't have the Son of God in itShinto - doesn't have the Son of God in itTaoism - doesn't have the Son of God in itZoroastanism - doesn't have the Son of God in itPaganism - doesn't have the Son of God in itRastafarianism - doesn't have the Son of God in itScientology - doesn't have the Son of God in itChinese traditional - doesn't have the Son of God in itAfrican tribal - doesn't have the Son of God in itCao Dai - doesn't have the Son of God in itTenrikyo - doesn't have the Son of God in itNew Age - doesn't have the Son of God in itUnitarian - doesn't have the Son of God in itNative American - doesn't have the Son of God in itFairy-worshipping cults etc etc - don't have the Son of God in them
agreed. (false gods are an abomination to the Lord our God. Is not one of our commandments not to worship other gods or any molten images?)

spiritual-journey

Jul 31, 2009
I recently to visit the twin concentration camps Aushwitz-Birkenau. Like the first poster I visited the gas chamber. Whilst I was there I also saw the death certificate of Maximillian Kolbe, an unmarried Polish priest, who following our Lord's example died to save the life of another man who was married with children. He starved to death in the starvation cell over 2 weeks so that the other man could live on. According to wikipedia the man was a stranger so Kolbe did not know if he was a believer in Jesus or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_KolbeThis is a supreme example of the love Christ calls us to show to all who are made in the image of God. Hatred towards unbelievers is totally unacceptable. If you hate people who disagree with your beliefs ask yourself whether you are more like the SS guards or more like the Polish priest?Respect is a more difficult term to define. People should be respected. Their beliefs should respectfully discussed although we may not agree with them. If we rubbish people's opinions we are more than likely going to put their backs up and not win them over by loving them the way that Jesus Christ loves each one of us.

Tombstone

Aug 18, 2009
You should be more concerned about loving them as God instructed.If you do that...and you live your life as God desires...that person will want what you want. Will want to know what you know.They will want to talk to you to find out what is different about you and at that point - after you've shown that you walk the walk, not just talk the talk - what you want them to know will be taken to heart.

walker starrfta99

Aug 28, 2009
I totally agree that religions that donot accept Our Lord Jesus are going nowhere. But I believe it should not matter whether Catholic,Lutheran , COC or non-denominational as long as Jesus Is the center point equal recognition should be given. GOD Bless.

The Barbarian

Sep 13, 2009
If Jesus told his followers to emulate a heretical Samaritan whose love of God was expressed in charity, rather than a pious Jew, whose love of God was expressed in adherence to the Law, then we should perhaps consider why He wanted them to do so.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
The Barbarian;72879]If Jesus told his followers to emulate a heretical Samaritan whose love of God was expressed in charity said:
We can respect a person to have a right to view their beliefs, but we can't respect religious beliefs in itself... I believe by heart that God doesn't want us to respect those beliefs that God never said or respect the actions of any false doctrines and hatred towards God.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Okay,, We should respect everyone regardless of their religion or lack of. Everyone has beliefs that they cherrish, and hold dear. Many people have spent their whole lives believing this or that. Just like us as Believers who cherish the Word of the Lord, and who cherish the Lord. We should all be respectful when approaching someone, such as this example...... Muslim: I worship Allah. Mohamed is prophet most High! Christian: I worship Jesus! Mohamed was a pediphile! Allah is a false god and made up by Satan! How does that look, how does the Muslim feel? How would you feel if they came blaspheming our God and calling you a liar and insulting Jesus?Now, see this one. Muslim: I worship Allah. Mohamed is prophet most high! Christian: I worship Jesus. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. Muslim: Jesus was a good man. Peace be upon him. Christian: What do you mean, Peace be upon him? Muslim: That's what we say as blessing for everyone who's dead. Christian: Oh I see. Jesus did die. But, He died for our sins but rose from the grave. See how this theoretical conversation can happen if people just respected the other? See, you're not bowing down to their beliefs, but you're sharing your belief. And avenues can open up. Rather than hurt feelings, and the unbeliever is now justified by their disbelief because of your actions. I myself have made the mistake of pushing people off for fear of "recieving their false doctrine" Rather than using a moment to minister to the Lost. We are to expose the deeds of darkness. But, the way to do that is not by insulting words, and hurtful speaches. It's the Love of Christ that's within us! The deads of darkness are exposed by light. Love is the Light! Reprove and Rebuke those who are in Christ and doing wrong. But, love them also and do better more so to those who are your brothers. But Love also the sinner, and give no chance for the enemy to be justified!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
WhiteKnuckle;72886]Okay said:
I hate to say this, even if one is being kind and nice... The Truth in itself can hurt one's feelings... and that can go either 2 ways... to make them think or to be hatred towards one another and the Living God because the Truth in itself condemn the wicked lifestyle and wicked beliefs. There are many, many kinds of love.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
No doubt. But, in one way, your conscience is clear, and their condemnation and complaint would be unjustified. You yourself will walk away justified and unstained. Your conscience will be clear before God because you made every effor to enter in through the narrow gate.