Is Jesus Good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

no one is good, but God alone

- Jesus​

Reactions: bbyrd009

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil;
that put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

(Isaiah 5:20)​

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus made it very clear that NO ONE is GOOD (agathos) EXCEPT GOD. - Mark 10:18. But see how one of the members of his body is described at Acts 11:24. Barnabas is a GOOD (agathos) person! If Jesus can say, when he was called a GOOD teacher, "Don't call me good (agathos) [unless you recognize me AS GOD] because ONLY GOD is GOOD!" (Mark 10:18), then, obviously, the inspired Bible writer is proclaiming at Acts 11:24 that Barnabas (as well as the rest of the brothers) IS GOD! Paul also clearly states this truth when he says to the brothers: "ye also are FULL OF GOODNESS, filled with all knowledge...." - Rom. 15:14. If NO ONE but God is good and Jesus' body of brothers is GOOD, then, obviously, the mysteriously united one body of JESUS AND HIS BROTHERS is also GOD!

From my tongue-in-cheek study Examining the Trinity: Trin-Type (Original Paper; The TYPE of reasoning and "evidence" that is the SOLE support for the Trinity Doctrine)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's importamnt to remembewr that Jesus usually referred to Himself as "Son of Man". It is in this context that He mad the comment He did in Mark 10:18.

Jesus is God - but He is also Man. Many of Hisa teachins are in the context of the Man Jesus in order to relate to His fellow men. There ARE times, however, when He revealed Himself to be God (John 8:58, John 10:30). Mark 10:18 is not one of those times.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
no one is good, but God alone - Jesus
Which means (according to Christ) that He must not be regarded as a merely good rabbi. That is the false position of Liberal Christianity. So since Jesus is God, He is good, and vice versa.

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus made it very clear that NO ONE is GOOD (agathos) EXCEPT GOD. - Mark 10:18. But see how one of the members of his body is described at Acts 11:24. Barnabas is a GOOD (agathos) person! If Jesus can say, when he was called a GOOD teacher, "Don't call me good (agathos) [unless you recognize me AS GOD] because ONLY GOD is GOOD!" (Mark 10:18), then, obviously, the inspired Bible writer is proclaiming at Acts 11:24 that Barnabas (as well as the rest of the brothers) IS GOD! Paul also clearly states this truth when he says to the brothers: "ye also are FULL OF GOODNESS, filled with all knowledge...." - Rom. 15:14. If NO ONE but God is good and Jesus' body of brothers is GOOD, then, obviously, the mysteriously united one body of JESUS AND HIS BROTHERS is also GOD!

Barnabas is described as being a good 'man' only because he is full of the Holy Spirit ((the clause you neglected to mention in the very same verse)).
there is intrinsic goodness in Barnabas and that goodness is God dwelling in him.

that is clearly not the same as being 'good' in the context Christ makes the OP statement -- which is a 'can my works merit eternal life?' context.
answer: heck no. no one can earn eternal life. no one has 'goodness' according to what goodness means with respect to salvation - which is exactly as Paul describes it: the believers are those who have the Spirit of God - who alone is good, unless Christ is a liar - and this, and this alone, is how they can be rightly described as being filled with 'goodness' -- see the immediately preceding Romans 15:13 where he speaks of being filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit, and the opening clause of Romans 15:14 where he says he is convinced they are indeed full of goodness.

is Paul saying this because he thinks they are intrinsically good people? does Paul think Christ misspoke? does Luke think Christ was wrong?

unless you call either Christ or Luke or Paul, or all three liars and the scripture set against itself.
that seems however to be exactly your argument: you are saying the explanation is that Christ's words are untrue and untrustworthy.

no idea why anyone would want to read this, ever.
well ok maybe a God-hating fool would be interested.

even so, no idea why you feel like self-advertising in a thread about Christ?
why you feel compeled to attack the person of Christ and the integrity of the scripture when you see my thread?

Last edited:

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We aren't good ourselves, if we were we wouldn't do this or that because its good it would be good because we did it.
Did Jesus do this or that because it was good or was this or that good because Jesus did it.
If one's earthly life ends having never sinned it looks like it could be either way.