IS JESUS' SACRIFICE ETERNAL?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that some people object to your posts because your use of the English language is not fastidious. Illusion or illusory do not convey the same meaning as perspective. Relativity describes variations in perceived reality while illusion implies a lack of the same. Given that the Lord has said that we shall be held accountable for every word that comes out of our mouths (and presumably every word typed by our hands), wouldn't it be prudent to be as accurate in our communication as we are capable of?
And what happens to illiterate and the semi-illiterate? Of the former in the USA there may only few but of the latter, there are very many. Our friend @bbyrd009 would likely not be any easier to understand even if his grammar and spelling would satisfy the "best" of English teachers. His difficulties most often as I see it arise not lack of communication skills, but rather a real resistance by some believers [Christian by designation] to change. He is quick sometimes to point these things out and some people would rather not look where he is pointing.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"...which I don't really expect anyone to do" I'm thinking you threw that in there because you knew it would prompt some to actually watch the video? :rolleyes:
He is trying to "Italianize" me, lol. Too late, I'm half there :). Only about an eight through and will watch for a few more minutes or if I can follow it, lol, then till the end.
I didn't wanna discourage you last night, but I really didn't expect anyone to watch an hour long lecture lol. Hope you got something from it

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So how long before everything and everyone just disappears?
maybe we should ask Enoch, huh? We have a few explanations for "and was no more," but I don't see any "translated" or anything in there?

Imo the more important Q for each of us is maybe...different though, even if that is our preoccupation generally speaking? Which I still share btw, I mean I'm not as immune from the world as I maybe let on or anything. But God has set a time i guess, right, He calls it "today."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
If C were a measure of distance it wouldn't be constant. Einstein knew this. Distance varies with velocity according to Mr. Einstein's equations (time dilation effect).
Imo there are applications where your pov would be more beneficial, this is just maybe not one of them, or you might even hear him differently, I dunno, but his gist seems to be "we are the time machines," and I think he makes a compelling case for the perspective. I might rephrase it " we suffer bc we perceive time a certain way" or something

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't wanna discourage you last night, but I really didn't expect anyone to watch an hour long lecture lol. Hope you got something from it

Lol...I have not finished watching it but, will continue where I left off soon...not understanding a whole lot but then, there is more so...I'll let ya know what I learned...or didn't? :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, thing is imo for most of us time really is an illusion, but I agree that that is inadequate without explanation, and "perception" is prolly a better lead-in there, ty. Unfort that suffers from some inadequacy too tho right, "time is a perception" is after all not very meaningful by itself either.

We are the time machines...not much better i guess huh. Prolly make more sense after watching the vid, which I don't really expect anyone to do

Okay @bbyrd009
I gave it my best, am NO physicist!!! ...skipped around a bit...checked out the 52 point you mentioned a bit down from this post...still not sure "time" is emotionally charged, or just do not "get it" most likely, lol - It happens, and it moves on until God stops it? Yes, I agree that the past is a "fixed given" yet...is it really fixed, over and done? What about the fallout, the consequences of all that happens during that "time"? Doesn't that all kind of shape the future?
"Time loses its pieces in nature" Not sure what he meant here. And his saying that time is multilayered? Not at all sure what he meant there other than different realms"?
WAY over my head Mark but, I gave it a shot :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Okay @bbyrd009
I gave it my best, am NO physicist!!! ...skipped around a bit...checked out the 52 point you mentioned a bit down from this post...still not sure "time" is emotionally charged, or just do not "get it" most likely, lol - It happens, and it moves on until God stops it? Yes, I agree that the past is a "fixed given" yet...is it really fixed, over and done? What about the fallout, the consequences of all that happens during that "time"? Doesn't that all kind of shape the future?
"Time loses its pieces in nature" Not sure what he meant here. And his saying that time is multilayered? Not at all sure what he meant there other than different realms"?
WAY over my head Mark but, I gave it a shot :)
Ya, I had to kind of wait until he made a synopsis at the end of a passage and then backtrack a couple times myself. The Bible deals with this also, @ "those who say 'things used to be better than they are now,'" and I guess even @ "those who say 'Come quickly, Lord,'" but I'm still contemplating how to best join these to the lecturers point, in English lol. But I'll make some statements from the video and see where that goes maybe, below

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We are the time machines
We suffer bc we make value judgements about order and entropy (that God does not make)
and by extension the Abundantly apparent (iPad, :rolleyes:)
God's Idea about order (entropy) is not our idea about order ()

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imo there are applications where your pov would be more beneficial, this is just maybe not one of them, or you might even hear him differently, I dunno, but his gist seems to be "we are the time machines," and I think he makes a compelling case for the perspective. I might rephrase it " we suffer bc we perceive time a certain way" or something

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. " Ecclesiastes 3:11
This verse can be understood a number of ways, but I believe that it's simply saying that God has given us awareness of the eternal (or conversely of our own mortality), but that we are incapable of perceiving reality as God does. We live in the moment, but ponder the future and remember the past, though we don't get to see how things work out (except that God reveal them to us.)
I don't believe that we suffer because of our perception, but rather because of our emotions (though these are affected by our perception). If we didn't "feel" we wouldn't suffer, but God created us to be "feeling" creatures and has commanded us to love Him with our whole being. Some people believe that this is what separates us from animals, though I believe animals experience the full range of emotions. What separates us should be as scripture says, our awareness of eternity.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. " Ecclesiastes 3:11
This verse can be understood a number of ways, but I believe that it's simply saying that God has given us awareness of the eternal (or conversely of our own mortality), but that we are incapable of perceiving reality as God does. We live in the moment, but ponder the future and remember the past, though we don't get to see how things work out (except that God reveal them to us.)
I don't believe that we suffer because of our perception, but rather because of our emotions (though these are affected by our perception). If we didn't "feel" we wouldn't suffer, but God created us to be "feeling" creatures and has commanded us to love Him with our whole being. Some people believe that this is what separates us from animals, though I believe animals experience the full range of emotions. What separates us should be as scripture says, our awareness of eternity.
well, you say "awareness of eternity" but wadr you surely currently also believe that eternity means forever, right. When various, several iow, Scriptures contest that, from eternity to eternity, there is only One Immortal, etc

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, you say "awareness of eternity" but wadr you surely currently also believe that eternity means forever, right. When various, several iow, Scriptures contest that, from eternity to eternity, there is only One Immortal, etc
I didn't choose the word eternity, the translator of the text made that decision based upon his understanding of the Hebrew. The concept of God having no beginning and no end pretty much defines eternity, so eternity or as a noun, the eternal, is not a measurement of time, but of something outside time. The promise of Christ, to make us one with Him as He is One with the Father, implies a joining of temporal creation to the eternal. The idea of everlasting life is implicit in the statement that those who believe in Me (Christ) shall never die. Everlasting life is not immortality as that implies something which we possess on our own, whereas God has promised us a gift of everlasting life (it is His to give and His to take away.)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I didn't choose the word eternity, the translator of the text made that decision based upon his understanding of the Hebrew. The concept of God having no beginning and no end pretty much defines eternity, so eternity or as a noun, the eternal, is not a measurement of time, but of something outside time. The promise of Christ, to make us one with Him as He is One with the Father, implies a joining of temporal creation to the eternal. The idea of everlasting life is implicit in the statement that those who believe in Me (Christ) shall never die. Everlasting life is not immortality as that implies something which we possess on our own, whereas God has promised us a gift of everlasting life (it is His to give and His to take away.)
Creative, should be hugely popular with Christian Mithraists.
best of luck to you

aeon: a space of time, an age

from eternity to eternity, I am God

are you maybe going for two eternities, m pardo?

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Creative, should be hugely popular with Christian Mithraists.
best of luck to youGood

aeon: a space of time, an age

from eternity to eternity, I am God

are you maybe going for two eternities, m pardo?
I haven't a clue what it is you're trying to say, but why should this post be any different from your others?
Good luck with that.