is man in God's image?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like the idea of the OP who began this thread is involved in some mystery cult, because of trying to portray God with no image, his having denied God's Word about God's outward likeness and appearance with the image of man (Ezekiel 1:26). Likewise, with his denial of the two angels that came to get Lot out that the sodomites saw the two angels with the outward image of men.

A WARNING brethren who listen:

There are some religious beliefs that treat our Heavenly Father not as an entity but as a Force. Many of the mystical fraternities call Him by the label 'cosmic consciousness'. They deem God as not having any particular form. Even the false idea of 'shape shifting' has been suggested here in this thread for God's outward appearance.

God is a Spirit according to our Lord Jesus (John 4:24). And those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Our Lord Jesus by that meant God demands our inner attention in worship, by our hearts, and not by sacrifices and ceremonial ritualistic worship that flesh man likes to creates to appear holy. But God being a Spirit does not... mean He is shapeless! God, forbid. He even warned us against that kind of shapeless no image interpretation through His prophet Daniel:

The following is a prophecy Daniel was given about the "vile person" who is to come to Jerusalem and place the "abomination of desolation"...

Dan 11:38-39
38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.

39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.
KJV

May the Force be with you? A God of forces (or strongholds). That is one of the concepts of the mystical fraternities today also. It is one of the ways they can join many different peoples together under many different religions. If you treat God as a Spirit with no particular image, then He can be just any old god the devil's servants say he is. He can even be a woman by that false attitude! (don't laugh, some actually believe that).

That is where the false idea is coming from that our Heavenly Father has no outward likeness of man, the image which He also created the angels with, and also Adam with. Even the Archangel's name Gabriel means 'man of God', and Gabriel never has, nor every will, be born in the flesh.

it's quite obvious you don't really know what the image and likeness of God is or you seek to convince others His image and likeness is something other than what it is. there were many men referred to as men of God through out history that doesn't prove anything other than those who called them such considered them sent from God, or they walk with God.

God "formed" man from the ground (flesh) but the ground and what is of the ground isn't in God's image and likeness, because the image and likeness of God, is of God.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it's quite obvious you don't really know what the image and likeness of God is or you seek to convince others His image and likeness is something other than what it is. there were many men referred to as men of God through out history that doesn't prove anything other than those who called them such considered them sent from God, or they walk with God.

God "formed" man from the ground (flesh) but the ground and what is of the ground isn't in God's image and likeness, because the image and likeness of God, is of God.

It's the other way around bud. You don't know what the simplicity of God's Word teaches about His Image Likeness being that of the form of man; it originated from Him in the Heavenly and not with Adam's flesh.

The angels also have the image likeness form of man, which is what God's Word attests to. They have no flesh bodies, yet the image of man is their outward likeness and appearance. It's because God made them also with His Image Likeness, which is that of man.

Per Ecclesiastes 12, when we die our flesh body goes back to the ground where it comes from, but our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. You no doubt probably keep to Jewish traditions that teach that spirit there is just some animate force that powers a flesh body. Yet in Matt.10, Jesus showed the soul continues after flesh death:

Matt 10:28
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him Which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
KJV

And Apostle Paul taught the resurrection is not to a flesh body, but to a spiritual body with the image of the heavenly:

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

And what is that "image of the heavenly"? A spiritual body with the image of man, like the angels.

Matt 22:30
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
KJV

Reactions: Taken

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh, and here's one for ya...

Ex 15:3
3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is His name.

KJV

How is it that Moses referred to our Heavenly Father with that word for "man", which is iysh in the Hebrew? Simple. It's because The LORD (YHVH) has the outward appearance of man, it originated with Him.

Reactions: Taken

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the other way around bud. You don't know what the simplicity of God's Word teaches about His Image Likeness being that of the form of man; it originated from Him in the Heavenly and not with Adam's flesh.

The angels also have the image likeness form of man, which is what God's Word attests to. They have no flesh bodies, yet the image of man is their outward likeness and appearance. It's because God made them also with His Image Likeness, which is that of man.

Per Ecclesiastes 12, when we die our flesh body goes back to the ground where it comes from, but our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. You no doubt probably keep to Jewish traditions that teach that spirit there is just some animate force that powers a flesh body. Yet in Matt.10, Jesus showed the soul continues after flesh death:

Matt 10:28
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him Which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
KJV

And Apostle Paul taught the resurrection is not to a flesh body, but to a spiritual body with the image of the heavenly:

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

And what is that "image of the heavenly"? A spiritual body with the image of man, like the angels.

Matt 22:30
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
KJV

well according to what you've posted here:

"49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
KJV

the image and likeness isn't earthy, and flesh is earthy therefore the body is not the image and likeness of God, because right here in black and white you've posted "image of the heavenly" which is not the image of earthy is it? Paul clearly separates the two district images doesn't he? therefore according to scripture earthy image, the flesh, the body you are in now, is not a heavenly image. thanks for finding that for me, your persistence has helped me win this argument.

have a nice day

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well according to what you've posted here:

"49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
KJV

the image and likeness isn't earthy, and flesh is earthy therefore the body is not the image and likeness of God, because right here in black and white you've posted "image of the heavenly" which is not the image of earthy is it? Paul clearly separates the two district images doesn't he? therefore according to scripture earthy image, the flesh, the body you are in now, is not a heavenly image. thanks for finding that for me, your persistence has helped me win this argument.

have a nice day

You still don't get it. The "image of the earthy" is about a flesh body. The "image of the heavenly" is about a spiritual body. BOTH are the outward appearance of man, which is the form that originated from God's Own Image Likeness. I showed you Scripture of where those in the flesh saw angels with the image of man. You are rejecting the simplicity in God's Word about this.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still don't get it. The "image of the earthy" is about a flesh body. The "image of the heavenly" is about a spiritual body. BOTH are the outward appearance of man, which is the form that originated from God's Own Image Likeness. I showed you Scripture of where those in the flesh saw angels with the image of man. You are rejecting the simplicity in God's Word about this.

the argument with you is over I win I win I win I win yea I win I win I win yea I win I win I win.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the argument with you is over I win I win I win I win yea I win I win I win yea I win I win I win.

This matter isn't about winning an argument. It's about declaring God's Truth in His Word so all brethren may be edified. It is not done for self.

Reactions: Armadillo

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This matter isn't about winning an argument. It's about declaring God's Truth in His Word so all brethren may be edified. It is not done for self.

nope its about winning

and why I know is about winning with you is its been proved to you that you are incorrect, you can't admit that nor will your pride like behavior let this go without you getting the last word in, which is some kind of winning for you. I showed your error even with the scripture you used. so ether you accept the truth of the matter which you refuse, or its all about winning the argument. I'm done, its just not letting you have what you obviously want which is the last word and you will show what I say is true you'll just have to respond to this.

and by the way I win

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope its about winning

and why I know is about winning with you is its been proved to you that you are incorrect, you can't admit that nor will your pride like behavior let this go without you getting the last word in, which is some kind of winning for you. I showed your error even with the scripture you used. so ether you accept the truth of the matter which you refuse, or its all about winning the argument. I'm done, its just not letting you have what you obviously want which is the last word and you will show what I say is true you'll just have to respond to this.

and by the way I win

Sorry, but you have just lost it.

Reactions: Armadillo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is true God made man in His likeness and image but is man in God's likeness and image?

the sons of man are not, in God's image and likeness unless it's restored to them.
When you look into the glass dimly...what do you see?

The point is...what you see is...an image.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you look into the glass dimly...what do you see?

The point is...what you see is...an image.

well that's true, but the image of God and His likeness isn't expressed in the flesh. when you see God on the day you see Him. are you going to see some physical form or an image of a physical form. or are you going to see Righteousness Judgement Mercy Wisdom Understanding Knowledge the Truth the Way the Life Love Faith and Hope. that is what the Lord our God looks like.

for example

Isa_5:16 But the LORD of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.

one would have to see those things to see the Lord our God.

Reactions: ScottA