Is Sin Equal ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

irene18

Nov 24, 2006
I am sure that some sins are worse than others... In another christian forum, somebody told me that all sin is considered to have the same gravity in God's eyes, but I think that's false. It's not logical to think that God would punish two people equally if one person was Saddam Hussein and another one was a person like you or me, right? Just like killing someone is much worse than lying to a friend, telling them that their dress is nice.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Irene, I've been through the same argument myself, but the Bible specifically states that there is only one unforgivable sin while the rest can be forgiven.Mark 3:28-29Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:Let's look at it this way. A true Christian is not going to commit the atrocities of someone as bad as, say, Saddam Hussein. If they profess to be Christian yet murder innocent lives and commit grievous sins at their own will, rest assured God will take care of that:Matthew 7:22-23Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.As for those that sin and then truly come into the Light of Jesus the Christ, they'll have to answer to God but look no farther than the Apostle Paul who persecuted Christians until that fateful day on the road to Damascus. Look what he became after that when he got right with the Lord.Our nature is to categorize sin as worse than others, but where in the Bible does it say that "Thou shalt not kill." holds any less of a merit than "Honor thy father and mother." does? The degree of the sin comes only in what's at the heart of the matter; if you commit sins right and left of a particularly hateful and malignant manner, than are you really for Christ as a person? Are you not denying the Holy Spirit by not listening to it and recognizing God?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I think anyone who has ever asked this question of themselves has wondered how it could be that the bible does, as Swampfox has pointed out, make only one sin unforgivable the rest seem to be equal I have come to believe that is because only God truly knows our heart and thoughts.Christ died for all sin and repentance in his name equally covers all sin.the thing that makes the difference is the true regret and sincerity one feels when repenting and only God can judge this.Can a person who is capable of cold blooded murder truly be sorry for what he did in his deepest soul or is he only sorry he got caught these are things only God can judge. Only God knows what was in your heart when you committed the sin so only he knows and can judge the sincerity of your repentance.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you kriss for saying what I was trying to.
smile.gif

irene18

Nov 24, 2006
Thanks for explaining this to me... I was so sure about my answer until I read yours. However, it really doesn't sound reasonable, for example I haven't confessed in years but I will soon and honestly I'm not sorry for having lied to my mother about having done my homework
smile.gif
Because really, what bad can that do? But I am REALLY sorry for other things which are of much more gravity than that, and years have passed yet I haven't stopped feeling guilty about having committed them because they are more SERIOUS than simple lies... hmm

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I think God knows what humans have come to call lies are not the same as what God calls lies.God is concerned with the state of your soul,your sufferings of guilt an such,or pain a lie has caused another soul.Making a judgment call not to make someone feel bad by lying about weather or not you like their outfit puts your soul in danger another reason why God sould do the judging only he knows what was in your heart.