KJV Only?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GRACE ambassador , Codex Sinaiticus, the earliest known manuscript of the Christian Bible, compiled in the 4th century CE.
Wasn't this one found after having been previously discarded?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Only?

As long as one is not deceived in to believing there are not errors in the KJV because there is!

I have only used the KJV since it pairs with my Strong's Concordance / Greek Hebrew Dictionary

But, that doesn't mean I'm naive enough to believe the KJV is literally perfect because it's not.

Better than the newer translation? Definitely yes.

Many of the KJV only crowd tend to be calvinists since the KJV translators did phrase some things in such a way as to support reformed theology which of course is chocked full of false doctrine... so reader beware!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you KJV Only types agree with Appalachian Christians who drink rat poison to test Jesus' promised "sign" of a true believer?
And no, nothing in the text suggests an accidental ingestion of poison.
One Greek manuscript even identifies the forger of this KJV ending in Mark (16:9-20) as Aristo of Pella.
The real Jesus would have specified the fruit of the Spirit or agape love, or something distinctly spiritual as a "sign" of the true believer--not something weird like drinking poison, snake-handling, and speaking in tongues.

i

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you KJV Only types agree with Appalachian Christians who drink rat poison to test Jesus' promised "sign" of a true believer?
And no, nothing in the text suggests an accidental ingestion of poison.
One Greek manuscript even identifies the forger of this KJV ending in Mark (16:9-20) as Aristo of Pella.
The real Jesus would have specified the fruit of the Spirit or agape love, or something distinctly spiritual as a "sign" of the true believer--not something weird like drinking poison, snake-handling, and speaking in tongues.

i
Thank you. Your post is an example of how worldly people speak in Christian's forums.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
recious friends, which for you?

ONE Unchanging Pure/Preserved Word Of Truth, or:

Over 100 Constantly Changing newer modern "easier-to-read/understand" versions?:
Modern. I speak Groot AND 21st American.

Different strokes for different folks. KJV is error ridden, archaic and the worst translation available in English today. It is the most important book written in (Middle) English but its day in the sun is over.

Reactions: Berserk

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Your post is an example of how worldly people speak in Christian's forums.
Duh, I'm not one of the "worldly people," but rather a tongues-speaking Pentecostal who is grateful for that spiritual gift, but recognizes that speaking in tongues is not a "sign" of the true believer, as Mark's bogus KJV ending teaches.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since the early 1600s, many much older and demonstrably more reliable Greek manuscripts have been discovered to help Text Critics bring us closer to the pure original Word of God.
I'm sure people are probably tired of hearing this but since I'm new you might give me a bit of grace. I believe Jesus said of the Spirit of Truth that He would lead us into all truth, reminding us of what He had said. And most of what He said was not written down. Now that bit WAS written down. John 21:25.

And if that's a role of the Spirit then we don't need to be too hung up on what wasn't written or was written nor have close to the actual words He used. It was the meaning, the interpretation of what was said that was important.

I don't recall Jesus adding to that statement that the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things from the KJV bible, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you that are contained in the Christian bible.

Those who studied the scriptures and heard Jesus original pure word that He received from His God, even they could not understand what God was trying to say through Him.

Paul said to those in his presence, who heard him live out and preach the gospel in their native language strait from his lips, interpreted it exactly the opposite way to how he intended it to be understood.

2 Cor 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life.

Revelation comes when it is revelled by the Revelator. Jn16:12 I still have much to tell you, but you cannot yet bear to hear it. 13However, when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come. 14He will glorify Me by taking from what is Mine and disclosing it to you. 15Everything that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said that the Spirit will take from what is Mine and disclose it to you.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure people are probably tired of hearing this but since I'm new you might give me a bit of grace. I believe Jesus said of the Spirit of Truth that He would lead us into all truth, reminding us of what He had said. And most of what He said was not written down. Now that bit WAS written down. John 21:25.

And if that's a role of the Spirit then we don't need to be too hung up on what wasn't written or was written nor have close to the actual words He used. It was the meaning, the interpretation of what was said that was important.

I don't recall Jesus adding to that statement that the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things from the KJV bible, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you that are contained in the Christian bible.

Those who studied the scriptures and heard Jesus original pure word that He received from His God, even they could not understand what God was trying to say through Him.

Paul said to those in his presence, who heard him live out and preach the gospel in their native language strait from his lips, interpreted it exactly the opposite way to how he intended it to be understood.

2 Cor 2:15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life.

Revelation comes when it is revelled by the Revelator. Jn16:12 I still have much to tell you, but you cannot yet bear to hear it. 13However, when the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak what He hears, and He will declare to you what is to come. 14He will glorify Me by taking from what is Mine and disclosing it to you. 15Everything that belongs to the Father is Mine. That is why I said that the Spirit will take from what is Mine and disclose it to you.
Jesus did not have scribes in his company of companions. His teachings were by the oral tradition.

The first written account of his teachings were a great many years after he walked the earth.

The New Testament,and as but one examples 1st Peter,contains text that is clearly beholding to the Roman government and furtherance of its authority.

1 Peter2:17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

The NT books were not written by the Apostles. We know the books authors are anonymous.

God did not write the NT. Romans did. Think about that.

A government that executed our Lord later wrote ,compiled,texts leading people formerly forbidden under penalty of death to follow Jesus, to follow Jesus.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
speaking in tongues

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

1 Corinthians 14:39
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

You should quit picking and choosing scriptures you want to believe and instead believe all God's Word! agree.gif
cherry_pickers_bible.gif

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many translations/versions of Gods precious word and the version I use is the NIV which is just as valid as the AV/KJV. God can speak to me clearly through the words on its pages as the Holy Spirit himself guides me. I do not need to be reading Olde Englishe when there are so many other easier versions. All that you have said can also be applied to any other version of the Holy Bible. The KJV is not the be all and end all. I love God himself and do not revere a particular form of scripture.
Amen! Took the words right out of my mouth... err, phone.

Reactions: Pearl

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not have scribes in his company of companions. His teachings were by the oral tradition.

The first written account of his teachings were a great many years after he walked the earth.

The New Testament,and as but one examples 1st Peter,contains text that is clearly beholding to the Roman government and furtherance of its authority.

1 Peter2:17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

The NT books were not written by the Apostles. We know the books authors are anonymous.

God did not write the NT. Romans did. Think about that.

A government that executed our Lord later wrote ,compiled,texts leading people formerly forbidden under penalty of death to follow Jesus, to follow Jesus.
And Who, do you imagine, prompted the Romans to have the books of the NT authored? (Hint: rhymes with Holy Spirit).
There is nothing that is not under God's control.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many translations/versions of Gods precious word and the version I use is the NIV which is just as valid as the AV/KJV. God can speak to me clearly through the words on its pages as the Holy Spirit himself guides me. I do not need to be reading Olde Englishe when there are so many other easier versions. All that you have said can also be applied to any other version of the Holy Bible. The KJV is not the be all and end all. I love God himself and do not revere a particular form of scripture.
"All that you have said can also be applied to any other version of the Holy Bible."
Including the version you prefer .

It's odd when Christians can't just differ in opinion.

What we may not consider is,if God inspired a book through which to inform us he is there,why would man have made so many versions of it? How would he dare?

Why would God let him?

All of nature,existence,is proof God exists. Why would he write to tell a world of people largely illiterate,he was here besides?

And given the corruption in the authorities that are the Jews,the RCC, who presumed to interpret God's written words to the illiterate,how could corruption translate perfect incorruption?

Maybe,just maybe, the world is as bad as it is now because we've followed man and their word.
Because if God wrote a book to guide us,when his Holy Spirit is more qualified, he certainly would insure it never change and would be perfect.

Whereas we know the written versions of mans inspired word are not.

Last edited:

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

You should quit picking and choosing scriptures you want to believe and instead believe all God's Word! View attachment 41968
Duh. I said I'm a tongues-speaking Pentecostal, but the gifts of the Spirit don't make me a better Christian than Christians who don't speak in tongues. What you dpn't get is the distinction between spiritual gifts and "signs" of the true believer.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Jesus... BELIEVERS will speak in new tongues so apparently this is one of the signs of a true believer.
Correction: according only to the bogus ending of Mark forged by Aristo of Pella! God's actual Word teaches that "tongues are NOT a sign to believers (1 Cor. 14:22)."

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correction: according only to the bogus ending of Mark forged by Aristo of Pella! God's actual Word teaches that "tongues are NOT a sign to believers (1 Cor. 14:22)."

That's a slick satanic trick... when you run across a verse you don't want to accept... just claim someone
back in history add it in so you can get that warm and fuzzy feeling when you attempt to take it out.

That's one of satan's oldest tricks... God didn't say what He said, or He didn't mean what He said!

Let's see how the ol devil tricks you in to explaining all this away:

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh NOT unto men, but unto God: for NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Groanings - from G4726, which comes from G4726 (Strong's Greek Concordance)

to sigh, murmur, pray inaudibly: KJV -- with grief, groan, grudge, sigh.

Inarticulate speech, or speech that is not in any known language to man
(In 1 Corinthians 13:1, Paul speaks of talking in the the tongues of angels - a supernatural language)

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Corinthians 14:2 is speaking of our personal prayer language, which is something we do in our prayer closet and not in public.

Some have the gift of speaking a tongue in a public meeting for interpretation by another but should NOT be doing so if no interpreter is present.

1 Corinthians 12:10
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

This is speaking of different kinds of tongues and that some have the gift of interpretation of tongues.

Not all have the gift of speaking in tongues for interpretation in a public setting like a church service... but that does not mean all don't have the gift of tongues for their private prayer life in their prayer closet between themselves and the Lord.

Isaiah 28:11,12
For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people,
To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

There is a rest and knowledge that comes thru speaking in tongues
(the knowledge received has to agree with God's written Word, otherwise it's not the Holy Spirit speaking)

1 Corinthians 14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: