Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?
Eating BBQ'd foods involves eating carcinogens. Do you avoid foods off of the grill? Do you drive a car?

I'm just wondering how internally consistent you are?

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you don't use a mobile phone then?

I have a laptop, basic phone, cheap car and rent a house they are all sinful but God know's we need them in this world we have created, anyone who thinks they are without sin is liar and not walking in the truth its by grace we are free from punishment of sin and by faith we are saved.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. It not on a legalistic level. But what is wrong with saying its a stupid thing to do and at some time its going to cut your walk in Christ short? Maybe God ordained you to live 90 years but because you smoked you died at 75 years and the last 10 years were so filled with health issues that it hindered you from praising him and learning of him?

All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful but you should not be under their power.

-ex smoker here... And no I don't judge any for smoking, but that is pretty solid reasoning not to.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say everything that wasn't created by God is sin from the 8th day onwards even things we consider good as they all are a result of sin.

An example I can think of is money Marc. Jesus and the apostles used it, God's people as a whole used it, and the Bible definitely puts it as ok in God's eyes, however it can be a sin as well, as we are cautioned that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. No doubt we all observe that sir.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All who believe go to heaven- not just the reinterpreted 144,000 of the Watchtower! There is a millenial kingdom on earth. but since Pentecost until the rapture- all who believe when they die go to be with Jesus in heaven as Paul extensively wrote inHis Epistles.

But all who deny the fact that Jesus rose form the dead in the same body He died in are excluded from heaven and the millenial kingdom on earth and only have eternal torment in th elake of fire to look forward to.

Believe the bible not the teachings of a man made organization Robert.

That is not a Bible teaching Ron, the Bible clearly states that 144k will be redeemed from the earth. The Bible also gives the reason why those were chosen to go to heaven. The vast majority of Christians will inherit the earth sir Mat 5:5; Ps 37:9-11, 29. Hope that helps Ronald.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smoking is not a sin, it's just unwise. Like eating fatty foods. I love me some fatty foods, so I choose not to be wise and enjoy life. If you're so worried about staying alive then isn't that he who loves his life shall lose it? More to the point, who taught you that smoking is unhealthy? Was it the world of new science? I know of people that smoked and drank alcohol and lived to be 90's. So there is a risk associated with drinking and smoking that cannot be proven since it isn't a risk in everyone.

John 12:25

King James Version

25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what's next eating processed meats are not good for your heath, correct? does that make you a sinner. one's heath is one's prerogative not yours to judge.

Hi DP, one other poster actually mentioned that as well. We definitely know that smoking is detrimental to health, actually though meat is addressed in Scripture as being ok, and we have governmental institutions that inspect many food items, so one is relatively safe in eating. Kind of reminds me of something Crok Dundee said, you can live on it, but it tastes like ****!

While I wouldn't consider eating foods a sin, I would consider it wise to examine the health benefits of food. I definitely eat badly, but make sure that I take in an abundant share of healthy food as well. I am hoping it offsets the stuff that tastes good. A friend of mine who had a heart attack was told by his doctor, if it tastes good, spit it out! I still giggle about that today, but it actually is pretty much true.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eating BBQ'd foods involves eating carcinogens. Do you avoid foods off of the grill? Do you drive a car?

I'm just wondering how internally consistent you are?

I get your point Marks, as you can see many think smoking is a sin, as well as many don't. I am one of those who consider it a sin. Yes sir, I fully agree that other things can be dangerous as well, however I do not consider them as sin. Heck, I am going to shock you severely now, perhaps you might want to sit down, don't tell anyone but I ride a motorcycle also. Heck I even go dirt riding. I wouldn't want that to get around. ;)

But seriously your point is well taken, and while I don't consider eating or driving a car a sin (although it is when I drive, literally) many things are detrimental to health, and we should consider that prior to acting on it. The wonderful thing about our time period is that we live in the age of information, therefore we do not have to be ignorant on what we take into our bodies. Good health to you sir.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RE: GLUTTONY

It is not about food. The sin is a spiritual hunger that says "too much is not enough". It is a human attempt to greedily stuff MORE (anything and everything) into the "God shaped hole" in the unsaved soul left by the fall of Adam and the departure of the Spirit of God. We require the filling of that restored fellowship to fulfill our purpose for which God created us. GLUTTONY is the false belief that we can fill that "need" ourselves if we just get enough SOMETHING, ANYTHING, EVERYTHING ... but how much is ENOUGH to replace God?

So gluttony is a never satisfied spiritual need attempting to be met with a limitless carnal greed for "enough" to fill the void. Gluttony is the carnal drive that always wants more and never knows peace or contentment.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get your point Marks, as you can see many think smoking is a sin, as well as many don't. I am one of those who consider it a sin. Yes sir, I fully agree that other things can be dangerous as well, however I do not consider them as sin. Heck, I am going to shock you severely now, perhaps you might want to sit down, don't tell anyone but I ride a motorcycle also. Heck I even go dirt riding. I wouldn't want that to get around. ;)

But seriously your point is well taken, and while I don't consider eating or driving a car a sin (although it is when I drive, literally) many things are detrimental to health, and we should consider that prior to acting on it. The wonderful thing about our time period is that we live in the age of information, therefore we do not have to be ignorant on what we take into our bodies. Good health to you sir.
So then, is the take-away value here, smoking is a sin for you, but not necessarily for someone else?

I rode a motorcycle for a number of years, I didn't even own a car. And that was not sin for me. Were I to ride now, it would be, life is changed, and that would not be love for my wife.

Isn't the idea that which is not of faith is sin, which is to say it's not about your list or my list, but such things as we are trusting God or not trusting God moment by moment, day by day, each of us in our own lives?

Much love!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi DP, one other poster actually mentioned that as well. We definitely know that smoking is detrimental to health, actually though meat is addressed in Scripture as being ok, and we have governmental institutions that inspect many food items, so one is relatively safe in eating. Kind of reminds me of something Crok Dundee said, you can live on it, but it tastes like ****!

While I wouldn't consider eating foods a sin, I would consider it wise to examine the health benefits of food. I definitely eat badly, but make sure that I take in an abundant share of healthy food as well. I am hoping it offsets the stuff that tastes good. A friend of mine who had a heart attack was told by his doctor, if it tastes good, spit it out! I still giggle about that today, but it actually is pretty much true.

yea the Dundee flixs were entertaining.

one has to examine exactly what is sin, is agreeing to do a thing and not do it a sin? and is it the agreement what makes the action or inaction a sin? even scripturally in the case of Adam and Eve, Adam must have agreed to the terms in the covenant (agreement) also known as a commandment. God made Adam and then made the garden and then put him in the garden:

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

note that there's no protest to leave the garden, there was another place to be that Adam was aware of. therefore even by default of staying in the garden, Adam agreed, and as God said "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife" hence not the voice of the Lord God.

then of course all the sons of man receive the life Adam was left with in the flesh.

simple, what foods one has agreed to not consume in the case of the Torah, if you are a Jew and are in that agreement, then it would be wise to consider. because the only one who can release one from that agreement in this case is the Lord in whom one is in the agreement with, as in the case of the Lord doing so with Peter in his vision.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RE: GLUTTONY

It is not about food. The sin is a spiritual hunger that says "too much is not enough". It is a human attempt to greedily stuff MORE (anything and everything) into the "God shaped hole" in the unsaved soul left by the fall of Adam and the departure of the Spirit of God. We require the filling of that restored fellowship to fulfill our purpose for which God created us. GLUTTONY is the false belief that we can fill that "need" ourselves if we just get enough SOMETHING, ANYTHING, EVERYTHING ... but how much is ENOUGH to replace God?

So gluttony is a never satisfied spiritual need attempting to be met with a limitless carnal greed for "enough" to fill the void. Gluttony is the carnal drive that always wants more and never knows peace or contentment.

I can see how you apply that sir, and I do not disagree with the logic, however when gluttony is mentioned in the Bible as far as I know, it is speaking literally, not metaphorically

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, is the take-away value here, smoking is a sin for you, but not necessarily for someone else?

I rode a motorcycle for a number of years, I didn't even own a car. And that was not sin for me. Were I to ride now, it would be, life is changed, and that would not be love for my wife.

Isn't the idea that which is not of faith is sin, which is to say it's not about your list or my list, but such things as we are trusting God or not trusting God moment by moment, day by day, each of us in our own lives?

Much love!

No sir, sin is sin God's rules and principles do not change for individuals. However, a sin that I struggle with may not necessarily be one that you do.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yea the Dundee flixs were entertaining.

one has to examine exactly what is sin, is agreeing to do a thing and not do it a sin? and is it the agreement what makes the action or inaction a sin? even scripturally in the case of Adam and Eve, Adam must have agreed to the terms in the covenant (agreement) also known as a commandment. God made Adam and then made the garden and then put him in the garden:

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

note that there's no protest to leave the garden, there was another place to be that Adam was aware of. therefore even by default of staying in the garden, Adam agreed, and as God said "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife" hence not the voice of the Lord God.

then of course all the sons of man receive the life Adam was left with in the flesh.

simple, what foods one has agreed to not consume in the case of the Torah, if you are a Jew and are in that agreement, then it would be wise to consider. because the only one who can release one from that agreement in this case is the Lord in whom one is in the agreement with, as in the case of the Lord doing so with Peter in his vision.
You do understand that God's people are under a new covenant now don't you DP?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sir, sin is sin God's rules and principles do not change for individuals. However, a sin that I struggle with may not necessarily be one that you do.
I would disagree with you on this.

Romans 14:20 KJV
For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

If you believe something is wrong, though it be not wrong, and you do it, you have sinned, doing what you believe wrong.

The Just do not live by Law, they live by faith.

Much love!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see how you apply that sir, and I do not disagree with the logic, however when gluttony is mentioned in the Bible as far as I know, it is speaking literally, not metaphorically
Sort of ... Scripture is read every year to the entire nation and studied every Sabbath, but how many people literally sit down to dine with a King (as a practical piece of advice)?

The SYMPTOM is physical, but the CAUSE is spiritual ... so the lesson extends beyond "thou shall not over-eat".

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do understand that God's people are under a new covenant now don't you DP?

what are you talking about, are you trying to change the subject? sure Jesus is the everlasting covenant who by the way fulfilled all previous covenants like the one with Adam, according to the Father's satisfaction. therefore do you agree to the covenant (agreement) that is of God?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

if you walk in agreement then what is the walk according to? what was fulfilled, correct?

Reactions: Cassandra

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would disagree with you on this.

Romans 14:20 KJV
For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

If you believe something is wrong, though it be not wrong, and you do it, you have sinned, doing what you believe wrong.

The Just do not live by Law, they live by faith.

Much love!

A more understandable version of the Bible might help Marks. Paul was indicating that if it would stumble a disciple if he ate meat, then he would not. Likely today, you might understand that although drinking is not a sin, we might abstain in the presence of someone that had a problem with it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what are you talking about, are you trying to change the subject? sure Jesus is the everlasting covenant who by the way fulfilled all previous covenants like the one with Adam, according to the Father's satisfaction. therefore do you agree to the covenant (agreement) that is of God?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

if you walk in agreement then what is the walk according to? what was fulfilled, correct?

We teach the Law covenant is fulfilled Rom 10:4, and we live under the new covenant Jesus made on the last day of his life Luke 22:29.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11