Is smoking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
honey i smoke until this very day and not little
wut? i can hit the vodka regularly
do i care ?
no

.. but what i do care about is that i feel dirty in this body
it is appalling .. it is a neverending dumb silly and stinking curse
- and i m not talking about not showering

and i never understood
until i understood that God feels the same about 'the soul imprisoned in this body'

... we use to think 'that God made this body'... but nothing is further from the truth

He considers "our soul pulluted : because of having come in CONTACT with this body"
that is the sin
in Hag. 2 that is very clear [but in many other prophets too]
about "the meat touching the robe"
but if you look up the hebrew text it writes -nphsh 'soul'
.. so the sóul becomes unclean by touching [=being born] in this body

please forget all the other type 'sins'.. they dont matter really ...
That's what being born from God is about, how we become free from the corruption of our flesh.

Much love!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, no thanks. I've been sharing the gospel and the biblical doctrine of the full divinity of Christ and His part in the Godhead with Witnesses for over 40 years. A Bible study now isn't going to change what I have already accepted as Truth.

The Bible might sir, it changes many lives, it sure changed mine. There is a passage that states this Backlit: (Hebrews 4:12) . . .the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Very likely the Bible has affected your life as well. Of course one needs to accept it's teachings in order for it to change their lives.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And again your Scripture foundation for kicking someone out of your church for smoking cigarettes is . . . what again?

Are you looking at 1 Corinthians 3, where God tells us that dividing the body is destroying it, and if you do that, God will destroy you? That's where most people go to condemn smoking, but the passage isn't about that. Did you have another one in mind?

Much love!

We view smoking as being a sin based on the principle given at 2 Cor 7:1 Marks. We also believe that Jesus assigned a faithful slave to shepherd his sheep Mat 24:45-47. We believe them to be the governing body, and being assigned by Jesus, subject to be obeyed as if they were Jesus, who was to be obeyed as if he were God. They have determined that we will not smoke, therefore each one of us has to make the choice as to whether we will obey or not.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe any true and honest study of the Bible shows without question that Jesus Christ is YHWH. I too would be happy to share with you my reasons.

I've found that any disagreement over the understanding of Scripture, if discussed in fairness and honesty (if not you never reach the conclusion), ends when either one party discovers a truth they didn't understand before, or one party says of a passage in particular, Yes, is SAYS that, but what it MEANS is, and they will go on to say how it doesn't mean what it says.

In some cases, the words are pointed to as symbolic prophecy, but in cases of doctrine, and Who Jesus is, I find we have more sure words.

Much love!

Would you like to discuss it sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
honey i smoke until this very day and not little
wut? i can hit the vodka regularly
do i care ?
no

.. but what i do care about is that i feel dirty in this body
it is appalling .. it is a neverending dumb silly and stinking curse
- and i m not talking about not showering

and i never understood
until i understood that God feels the same about 'the soul imprisoned in this body'

... we use to think 'that God made this body'... but nothing is further from the truth

He considers "our soul pulluted : because of having come in CONTACT with this body"
that is the sin
in Hag. 2 that is very clear [but in many other prophets too]
about "the meat touching the robe"
but if you look up the hebrew text it writes -nphsh 'soul'
.. so the sóul becomes unclean by touching [=being born] in this body

please forget all the other type 'sins'.. they dont matter really ...

I am sorry sir that you feel that way. The convention we are viewing at this time is about strengthening your faith. I hope you will give it a chance to help you. The link is: https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/categories/2021Convention

If there is anything that I can address to help you strengthen your faith, please feel free to ask.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No. Smoking, of itself, is not a sin. But if God convicts you of it and tells you to stop and you carried on, then I suppose it would be.
@Pearl Even Spurgeon smoked.

If ppl manage to quit or manage not to start in the first place, good for them.

It didn't use to be a taboo, though, so much, years ago.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We view smoking as being a sin based on the principle given at 2 Cor 7:1 Marks.

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

That's interesting, but why do you single out smoking? Why just that one sin of so very very many?

Considering diet sodas are known for their ability to cause adult onset diabetes (sweet on the tongue = insulin release / insulin release without sugar in the system produces insulin resistance and beta cell burn-out), and considering diabetes routinely kills and maims people, shouldn't you disfellowship anyone who drinks diet soda? Or who eats too many cookies at your potluck?

What about high fructose corn syrup? Ever since they discovered that it's super sweet for super cheap, and not only that, but addictive too, they put it in all sorts of things.

Would you consider becoming addicted to foods with too many carbs, and too much salt, and other additives, while significantly lacking in true natural nutrition, is that defiling the body?

I'm wondering about what seems to me to be a serious inconsistency here.

We also believe that Jesus assigned a faithful slave to shepherd his sheep Mat 24:45-47. We believe them to be the governing body, and being assigned by Jesus, subject to be obeyed as if they were Jesus, who was to be obeyed as if he were God. They have determined that we will not smoke, therefore each one of us has to make the choice as to whether we will obey or not.

They who?

You say each must make a choice to obey or not, except, that choice will result in their excommunication? There's a choice for you!

Matthew 12:7 KJV
But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

If God does not condemn smoking, isn't this what is happening if someone else does? That you are condemning those whom God does not?

Matthew 24:45-51 KJV
45) Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46) Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47) Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48) But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49) And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50) The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51) And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

If you are condemning those whom God does not, to the point of casting them out of fellowship, shunning them, how is this not like the beating of the servants that Jesus warned about?

Do you see my reason for concern?

Much love!

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

That's interesting, but why do you single out smoking? Why just that one sin of so very very many?

Considering diet sodas are known for their ability to cause adult onset diabetes (sweet on the tongue = insulin release / insulin release without sugar in the system produces insulin resistance and beta cell burn-out), and considering diabetes routinely kills and maims people, shouldn't you disfellowship anyone who drinks diet soda?

What about high fructose corn syrup? Ever since they discovered that it's super sweet for super cheap, and not only that, but addictive too, they put it in all sorts of things.

Would you consider becoming addicted to foods with too many carbs, and too much salt, and other additives, while significantly lacking in true natural nutrition, is that defiling the body?

They who?

You say each must make a choice to obey or not, except, that choice will result in their excommunication? There's a choice for you!

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

If God does not condemn smoking, isn't this what is happening if someone else does? That you are condemning those whom God does not?

45) Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
48) But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49) And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50) The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51) And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

If you are condemning those whom God does not, to the point of casting them out of fellowship, shunning them, how is this not like the beating of the servants Jesus warned about?

Much love!
People have in the past "moralized" against certain things deemed "addictive", such as cigarettes; and there may been some truth and accuracy to this usage. But if someone eats too many cream cakes, because of a compelling "sweet tooth", the effects may not be healthy but it seems that people can thus indulge even as they criticize other people's behaviour which they call "addictive" such as smoking. Sometimes the word "addictive" and derivatives are also used in a rather informal and not very accurate way, but with a certain vehemence if the person evidently wants to "moralize" against something. For example, if someone is tattooed and likes the artwork and indicates that more such artwork might be obtained, it's possible that certain people eager to voice disapproval and to "moralize" against them will accuse the wearer directly, or say about them behind their backs to others, that he or she is "addicted". The terminology which people use and its contexts can thus sometimes have hidden agendas — sometimes not too hidden, either — lurking not far away, even though from a scientific perspective the terminology is not necessarily warranted. (If this makes sense?)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People have in the past "moralized" against certain things deemed "addictive", such as cigarettes; and there may been some truth and accuracy to this usage. But if someone eats too many cream cakes, because of a compelling "sweet tooth", the effects may not be healthy but it seems that people can thus indulge even as they criticize other people's behaviour which they call "addictive" such as smoking. Sometimes the word "addictive" and derivatives are also used in a rather informal and not very accurate way, but with a certain vehemence if the person evidently wants to "moralize" against something. For example, if someone is tattooed and likes the artwork and indicates that more such artwork might be obtained, it's possible that certain people eager to voice disapproval and to "moralize" against them will accuse the wearer directly, or say about them behind their backs to others, that he or she is "addicted". The terminology which people use and its contexts can thus sometimes have hidden agendas — sometimes not too hidden, either — lurking not far away, even though from a scientific perspective the terminology is not necessarily warranted. (If this makes sense?)
People become addicted to all sorts of unhealthy and improper things.

Yes, there is a lot of ignorant throwing words back and forth, You're addicted! No I'm not! See! Denial!!

But just the same, from cupcakes to tattoos to cigarettes to sunshine, addictions abound. It's how the brain works. The flesh can never get enough.

The science research on the brain and mind have shown many connections to behaviors and addictions. Behaviors such as cutting or tattooing, with the physical trauma of the act, have a more direct effect on the chemistry of the brain, inducing changes that promote it's repetition.

Personally, I find it unwise to encourage potentionally harmful and addictive behaviors in others. I think people have enough problems, and I prefer to encourage healthy pursuits and activities.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you like to discuss it sir?
As I said, I'd be happy to share my reasons. This is one:

Philippians 2:5-11 KJV
5) Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9) Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Who is this "LORD", which all will confess is Jesus Christ?

What if we look at the source of the quotation?

Isaiah 45:18-24 KJV (God's Name restored)
18) For thus saith YHWH that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am YHWH; and there is none else.
19) I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I YHWH speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.
20) Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.
21) Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I YHWH? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
23) I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
24) Surely, shall one say, in YHWH have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

Who then is this Lord?

Who is our Savior, there is only one!

Acts 4:10-12 KJV
10) Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

There is only One Savior, Jesus Christ, YHWH.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Even Spurgeon smoked.

If ppl manage to quit or manage not to start in the first place, good for them.

It didn't use to be a taboo, though, so much, years ago.
My husband used to be prepared to tell those who questioned his habit that it was between himself and God.

Reactions: marks

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a laptop, basic phone, cheap car and rent a house they are all sinful but God know's we need them

I don't own a cheap car, I own an expensive car and two motorcycle.....so......I am involved in more sin than you are.
I also own a house, not a rental......wow.....this is getting worse.....my phone is not a basic phone, plus I own an Ipad....oh boy....

The crazy stuff one discovers on Christian discussion forms... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't own a cheap car, I own an expensive car and two motorcycle.....so......I am involved in more sin than you are.
I also own a house, not a rental......wow.....this is getting worse.....my phone is not a basic phone, plus I own an Ipad....oh boy....

The crazy stuff one discovers on Christian discussion forms... :)
I'm kind of losing the thread of this thread, if this makes any sense...

Reactions: Triumph1300

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My husband used to be prepared to tell those who questioned his habit that it was between himself and God.
The question, is it sin, which of answered correctly, will lead one in a wise manner as to how to encourage others to stop smoking. Smoking does kill. It is a slow form of suicide. This isn't about moralizing or condemning... It's about saving lives which is precisely what Jesus came to do. And saving lives is not a concept between the sinner and God. Everyone should be about the Father's business... Saving lives.
"Cry aloud, spare not, and lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob her sins".

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not mention smoking, or other means of using tobacco. However, it contains principles showing that God does not approve of unhealthy and unclean habits and thus views smoking as a sin.

Respect for life. “God . . . gives to all people life and breath.” (Acts 17:24, 25) Since life is a gift from God, we should not do anything that would shorten our life, such as smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of preventable death worldwide.

Love of neighbor. “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39) Smoking around others does not show love. Those who are routinely subjected to secondhand smoke are at higher risk of some of the same diseases that smokers often suffer from.

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” (Romans 12:1) “Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy—that is, clean and pure—because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

How do you feel about it?

It’s an unhealthy and expensive habit, but it doesn’t defile the body, per Matthew 15:16-19.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Considering diet sodas are known for their ability to cause adult onset diabetes (sweet on the tongue = insulin release / insulin release without sugar in the system produces insulin resistance and beta cell burn-out), and considering diabetes routinely kills and maims people, shouldn't you disfellowship anyone who drinks diet soda? Or who eats too many cookies at your potluck?

They who?

If you are condemning those whom God does not, to the point of casting them out of fellowship, shunning them, how is this not like the beating of the servants that Jesus warned about?

Much love!

Our governing body in agreement with the surgeon general decided to consider it a sin for Jehovah's people to smoke, thus deliberately partaking in known things harmful to the body which shows a lack of respect for the sanctity of life. We have the choice of obeying or disobeying their regulations. They decided it was a serious sin subject to disciplinary action in 1973 if I remember correctly. If our governing body is actually Jesus' appointed faithful slave, to disobey is to disobey him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The question, is it sin, which of answered correctly, will lead one in a wise manner as to how to encourage others to stop smoking. Smoking does kill. It is a slow form of suicide. This isn't about moralizing or condemning... It's about saving lives which is precisely what Jesus came to do. And saving lives is not a concept between the sinner and God. Everyone should be about the Father's business... Saving lives.
"Cry aloud, spare not, and lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob her sins".
If people think it's sinful then they shouldn't do it. But they have a clear conscience about it then it's up to them.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our governing body in agreement with the surgeon general decided to consider it a sin for Jehovah's people to smoke, thus deliberately partaking in known things harmful to the body which shows a lack of respect for the sanctity of life. We have the choice of obeying or disobeying their regulations. They decided it was a serious sin subject to disciplinary action in 1973 if I remember correctly. If our governing body is actually Jesus' appointed faithful slave, to disobey is to disobey him.
I know that JWs ban smoking but I think that is too judgmental and dictates to people.