Is Sunday sacredness in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does GOD's Word say ?
Nothing on Sunday sacredness, or the first day as holy or sanctified, it is absolutely devoid of anything as Gods holy day, only the Sabbath is give, made at Creation for man to cease from his work and come spend it with his Lord and Savior..

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing on Sunday sacredness, or the first day as holy or sanctified, it is absolutely devoid of anything as Gods holy day, only the Sabbath is give, made at Creation for man to cease from his work and come spend it with his Lord and Savior..
YOU are in ERROR!! Do you or other confessing Christians here in these forums, read Bible verses and do you folks believe what Scripture stipulates because it is the word of God?

As a matter of fact, God Himself changed the seventh day Sabbath to the first day of the week. We can't see it in our English translations, but we read in Matthew 28:1:

"In the end of the sabbath, (Hebrew plural word) as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

Note* the word "day" is italicized in the KJV to denote that the word (day) is not in the original manuscripts.

Why the changed? I believe God wants to show us the seriousness of the "rest" we have in Jesus. It depends whether we live or die!!

Remember, the Bible is a spiritual Book and therefore, must be spiritually discerned.

To God Be The Glory

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
YOU are in ERROR!! Do you or other confessing Christians here in these forums, read Bible verses and do you folks believe what Scripture stipulates because it is the word of God?
Such confidence...even bold and capitalised. And then challenging others on their ability or willingness to read scripture. Such adamant declarations. You must be very sure of yourself. So, let us read the rest of your post...
Done. I also read other scriptures where the very same word, σάββατον, is used, and it refers sometimes to a plural number of days, and at others, a particular single day. Your contention that Matthew is referring here to a number of days is nothing more than wishful thinking. But thank you for the study.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such confidence...even bold and capitalised. And then challenging others on their ability or willingness to read scripture. Such adamant declarations. You must be very sure of yourself. So, let us read the rest of your post...
Done. I also read other scriptures where the very same word, σάββατον, is used, and it refers sometimes to a plural number of days, and at others, a particular single day. Your contention that Matthew is referring here to a number of days is nothing more than wishful thinking. But thank you for the study.
If you have a better interpretation of Matthew 28:1 please let us hear it!!

A child of God should be able to teach as well as be taught.

By the way, Strong's Concordance interprets the word Sabbath as the word sabaton which is a plural Hebrew word. Hence we can read Matthew 28:1 thusly:

"At the end of the Sabbaths as it began to dawn toward the first of the week, came.... "

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 14:5-6
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Reactions: Fred J

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would like to see what evidence and context you are using to say the above.
I apologize for not making clear that the word "week" is also the same Hebrew plural word "sabaton" (Strong's #4521). Hence Matthew 28:1 can be rendered, thus

In the end of the Sabbaths, as it began to dawn toward the first of the Sabbaths came....

To God Be The Glory

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Romans 14:5-6
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe
So you really truly think that Paul is telling the church, "make up your own mind whether you want to obey his commandments or not... God's okay with it either way". Doesn't sound like Paul to me. So I think he's talking about other days. Fast days. Feast days. Ceremonial days such as great of tabernacle, Passover etc. Since Christ died, they became optional. The commandments of God are not optional. Unless you can find me a "thus saith the Lord, the commandments are optional". Romans 14 ain't it.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you really truly think that Paul is telling the church, "make up your own mind whether you want to obey his commandments or not... God's okay with it either way". Doesn't sound like Paul to me. So I think he's talking about other days. Fast days. Feast days. Ceremonial days such as great of tabernacle, Passover etc. Since Christ died, they became optional. The commandments of God are not optional. Unless you can find me a "thus saith the Lord, the commandments are optional". Romans 14 ain't it.
I've asked several times to show us a Sabbath COMMAND in the NT. Nobody has found one yet.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I apologize for not making clear that the word "week" is also the same Hebrew plural word "sabaton" (Strong's #4521). Hence Matthew 28:1 can be rendered, thus

In the end of the Sabbaths, as it began to dawn toward the first of the Sabbaths came....

To God Be The Glory
Yes, I knew that. But it needs to make sense contextually of you are going to read it as week... The first day after Sabbath... The second day after Sabbath... The third day after Sabbath etc etc is how the Jews counted their days. They did not have pagan names for their days, everything revolved around the Sabbath. The Christian church continued that tradition will into later centuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ain't no Christian Sabbath. It was ONLY for Israel.
It isn't an Israeli Sabbath or a Jewish Sabbath. It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. It is His day. Not mine, yours, or anyone else's. It's the Lord's Day. Jesus loudly and clearly claimed the Sabbath as His own. "I am the Lord of the Sabbath day. And I gave it to man for His good. "

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't an Israeli Sabbath or a Jewish Sabbath. It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. It is His day. Not mine, yours, or anyone else's. It's the Lord's Day. Jesus loudly and clearly claimed the Sabbath as His own. "I am the Lord of the Sabbath day. And I gave it to man for His good. "
Quote it please. Chapter and verse.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then cite them.
If you love Me, keep My commandments". John 14:15
KJV John 14:21
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
KJV John 15:10
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
KJV 1 John 2:4
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you love Me, keep My commandments". John 14:15
KJV John 14:21
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
KJV John 15:10
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
KJV 1 John 2:4
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
No Sabbath command?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quote it please. Chapter and verse.
KJV Exodus 20:10
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

KJV Matthew 12:8
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

KJV Isaiah 58:13
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words...
: