Is Sunday sacredness in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well done. You may be interested in this article. :)

I cannot believe that you actually posted that reference in all seriousness. I thought at the very least, a "thus saith the Lord"... Scripture... Was the foundation of faith and practise for non Catholics. But that entire article was built solely on human reasoning. Some of it was just nonsense. For example...
It is obvious that resurrection day, is the day the Lord Made. (Really?)
Resurrection day is Sunday.
Sunday is the day the Lord made!
(He made 7 days, and sanctified and blessed only one. )
The first day (Sunday) is the Lord's Day!
All built on presumption that the day David spoke of, "this is the day the Lord has made", was Sunday. It's nononsense and presumption. Going to extreme lengths to justify the sacredness of a day never sanctioned in scripture. Not once. That stuff happened on that day is no reason for granting that day anything more than what God says. And He said nothing. But He did say much about the 7th day, the Sabbath.
KJV Isaiah 58:13
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words...

KJV Ezekiel 20:12
12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

KJV Matthew 12:6-8
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

The Sabbath day is the only day in scripture that God specifically refers to in scripture as belonging to Him. The Lord's Day in revelation is the Sabbath.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot believe that you actually posted that reference in all seriousness. I thought at the very least, a "thus saith the Lord"... Scripture... Was the foundation of faith and practise for non Catholics. But that entire article was built solely on human reasoning. Some of it was just nonsense. For example...
It is obvious that resurrection day, is the day the Lord Made. (Really?)
Resurrection day is Sunday.
Sunday is the day the Lord made!
(He made 7 days, and sanctified and blessed only one. )
The first day (Sunday) is the Lord's Day!
All built on presumption that the day David spoke of, "this is the day the Lord has made", was Sunday. It's nononsense and presumption. Going to extreme lengths to justify the sacredness of a day never sanctioned in scripture. Not once. That stuff happened on that day is no reason for granting that day anything more than what God says. And He said nothing. But He did say much about the 7th day, the Sabbath.
KJV Isaiah 58:13
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words...

KJV Ezekiel 20:12
12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

KJV Matthew 12:6-8
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

The Sabbath day is the only day in scripture that God specifically refers to in scripture as belonging to Him. The Lord's Day in revelation is the Sabbath.
You are entitled to your opinion which isn't convincing to me. I agree with the article that the Lord's Day in Revelation 1:10 being the Sabbath is a very weak argument and the actual evidence for the first day (Sunday) is much stronger for the reasons addressed in the article. Since you turn the Sabbath day into an idol, I'm not surprised by your reasoning.

Who is Isaiah 58:13 addressed to? The term house of Jacob (vs. 1) is simply another way to refer to the nation of Israel. Israel the patriarch was originally named Jacob. These terms are interchangeable as illustrated in Exodus 19:3-4: “Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, ‘Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob and tell the sons of Israel: You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians."

Who is "them" in Ezekiel 20:12? The house of Israel. (vs. 13) You are not an Israelite living under the old covenant of law so stop acting like one.

Exodus 31:16 - Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.

Deuteronomy 5:15 - And remember that YOU were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought YOU out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore, the Lord your God commanded YOU to keep the Sabbath day.

THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL.

If Revelation 1:10 was the Sabbath, John would have said, "I was in the Spirit on the Sabbath" but that is not what John said. The article refutes your biased assumptions which are inconclusive.

Our 'sabbatismos' rest is found in Christ (Hebrews 4:9) in contrast with keeping the weekly Sabbath day under the law.

Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. It's time for you to stop living in the shadow on the old covenant plantation of law and embrace the substance in the new covenant.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen several videos, read a number of articles, all with the intent of accomplishing one thing. Denigrating the Lord's Sabbath, and uplifting the man made tradition of Sunday. You have no idea Who you are fighting with.
It sounds to me like you are unable to see anything beyond your SDA church indoctrination. :( I'm not about uplifting tradition. I'm all about uplifting the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He is my 'sabbatismos' rest (Hebrews 4:9) in contrast with keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law. (Exodus 31:16-17; 35:1-3; Deuteronomy 5:15) I'm not the one who is fighting with God. (Colossians 2:16-17)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know much about the Bible then.

Jesus arose upon the first day of the week. - Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1

The church was established repentance and remission of sins first preached this Sunday in Acts 2 and they were added to the saved. Acts 2 (this was the first Gospel church meeting... on Sunday!)

The church was established repentance and remission of sins first preached this Sunday in Acts 2 and they were added to the saved - Acts 2

The early church met on the first day of the week for communion (or to have a meal together and fellowship while hearing Paul teach - Acts 20:7

Early church offerings were directed to be done upon the first day of the week. 1 Corinthians 16:2

And since none of this mentions a replacement of the 7th day Sabbath or an assignment of sacred ordinance to Sunday, folks are compelled to list all of it in hopes that quantity will make up for a lack of quality.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my, what do you think is going to happen

Lightening strike? Heart attack?

Is the god you serve like a mafia mob boss?

No, He's like the One who sends the 3 angels of Revelation 14.

At the very end—but not quite yet, while the 4 angels of Revelation 7 protect the inhabitants of the earth—it will be much worse than an electrical storm or cardiac arrest.

God is patient, but He won't allow lawlessness to rule forever.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no new-and-improved God. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Ask any studious Bible believer.

1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Isa 24:4-5
4 The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish. 5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

Welcome aboard, mocking one. :)

Reactions: Brakelite

Bill Judson

Feb 21, 2024
Tempe AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And since none of this mentions a replacement of the 7th day Sabbath or an assignment of sacred ordinance to Sunday, folks are compelled to list all of it in hopes that quantity will make up for a lack of quality.

Why ignore biblical evidence that the apostles were meeting on Sunday?

That makes no sense.

Welcome aboard, mocking one

Thank you for the rude and obnoxious welcome.

Now I know what you are all about, so thank you for the heads up!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why ignore biblical evidence that the apostles were meeting on Sunday?

That makes no sense.
There is only one meeting on Sunday mentioned in scripture. The disciples did gather together on the first day of the week when Jesus appeared to them on the actual day of the resurrection. Were they meeting to worship? To read scripture? To learn? No. They were huddled together behind closed doors in fear thinking they were going to be next.
The only other time they were actually together on the first day and heard anyone preaching, was the night before Paul was going to leave for another city.
Two times Sunday meeting, one out of fear, the other a farewell supper and final message. Hardly anything there to justify throwing out a specific Commandment with a pseudo Sabbath.
The other times the first day was mentioned was when the women arrived at the tomb to dress Jesus's body. Why the first day? Because they were resting, observing the Sabbath, the day before.
Then of course was the one time Paul asked the church to put together an offering for the church in Jerusalem that was suffering under persecution and deprivation. Paul did not say anything about a meeting, or that he would pick up that money on the first day... Just when he would come. Why the first day? Because the day before, the 7th day, they were observing the Sabbath. They didn't count money or do common business on the Sabbath. That's it. That's the full history of the first day in NT scripture.
Now you all can do an exercise by searching your concordance and counting the number of times the disciples, as a group or alone like Paul was at times, attended the synagogue on Sabbath.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, He's like the One who sends the 3 angels of Revelation 14.

At the very end—but not quite yet, while the 4 angels of Revelation 7 protect the inhabitants of the earth—it will be much worse than an electrical storm or cardiac arrest.

God is patient, but He won't allow lawlessness to rule forever.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no new-and-improved God. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Ask any studious Bible believer.

1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Isa 24:4-5
4 The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish. 5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

Welcome aboard, mocking one. :)

You do know who that is,right?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the rude and obnoxious welcome.

Now I know what you are all about, so thank you for the heads up!

Well, I know you have a tendency to think yourself able to sum people up instantly from the long association I believe I've had with you, BBJ, uh, I mean BJ. ;)

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not have to change His word. Al that He did was to change the process by which the sins of mankind would be forgiven.

This is the context of what was written where Heb 10:9 is found: -

Heb 10:8-10: - 8 In the passage above He says, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not desire, nor did You delight in them” (although they are offered according to the law). 9 Then He adds, “Here I am, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been sanctified through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

What the author of Hebrews is telling us in these three verses above is that the process by which sanctification was achieved by Christ on the cross. The first that was taken away was: - “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not desire, nor did You delight in them” (although they are offered according to the law). to be replaced by the second: - "to establish the second.[/b] 10 And by that will, we have been sanctified through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

You are missing that the process, by which sanctification is now achieved, was changed by Christ's death on the cross such that the Temple process of the sin sacrifice was no longer acceptable and that it would fade from memory.

The Covenant that God was referring to in Jer 31:31-34 was the same covenant that was entered into at Mt Sinai but the nation of Israel rebelled against within days and that Covenant was the the Kingdom of Priests, a Holy Nation and God's possession among the nations Covenant which will be refurbished like new again around 3,500 years after the initial covenanted was entered into at Mt Sinai about 20 years into our future from now. The Jer 31:31-34 covenant has nothing to do with the Salvation Covenant that Christ changed the sanctification process of when he died on the cross. Matthew 13:52 tells us that the Salvation Covenant is very ancient and has existed from the time of Adam.

This change of the Law will come into effect in around 20 years' time from now.

When the nation of Israel rebelled against God and had Aaron make the golden calve idols, there was a need to instigate a new order of priests which was not of the order of Melchizedek which was the case before that time. Each of the Princes of the tribes of Israel also acted as the Priest for the tribe in the same manner that Melchizedek acted during the time as described in Gen 14.

But this understanding is not well received by many today. When God renews the Kingdom of priests, a Holy Nation and His Possession among the nations Covenant, then the priests at that time will also act within the boundaries that Melchizedek operated under.

Christ also is our new mediator of the salvation covenant in the same manner as Melchizedek.

It is so sad that people want something that is brand new rather than something that has been in existence since the beginning of mankind for our Salvation.

Perhaps the time is coming when we all need to unlearn what we believe is true to accept what is really true.

Goodbye
I think God did share it with Adam and Eve, and we shall soon find out..

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, normally Christians don't work on a Sunday, therefore they are able to meet together. And, may it be the day marking the fellowship of the saints and the day of rest from their 6 days of work.

Rest, doesn't mean they should not lift up their hands to help a fellow brethren in need or so ever. Based on charity, these by far fulfill the requirement of the law in regards Sabbath. For they are not under the law but rather they uphold the law, as Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith.

Other than that, even from a born again church, that which are practices to the letter of the law once again. They are apparently doctrine for teaching the commandments of men and traditions.
Yes, but what does God's Word say...