Is the Bible an instruction book on how to be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Only if the writer/interpreter is faithful to the Book, as you call it.
Uh, even the word "Bible" just means BOOK,[/QUOTE]

Amen...Glad that you said it...I was thinking the same thing.
It MEANS "Book" bbyrd009 is correct...and we all know what is meant when we say, or hear "the Book".

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting insight!

Also consider the rebuke the Lord gave when the disciples wanted to call down destruction.

Are we not, upon receiving Life, a part of a ‘life-giving’ Spirit?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judgment is reserved; the Lord Jesus came to seek and to save that which was lost.

Matthew 11:13-15
[13] For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. [14] And if ye will receive it , this is Elias, which was for to come. [15] He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew 17:11-12
[11] And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. [12] But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

Luke 9:54-56
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw this , they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them . And they went to another village.

“...wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?”

Mark 15:33-35
[33] And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. [34] And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [35] And some of them that stood by, when they heard it , said, Behold, he calleth Elias.

Luke 23:34-41
[34] Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. [35] And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him , saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God. [36] And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar, [37] And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself. [38] And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS . [39] And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. [40] But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? [41] And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

Matthew 27:48-50
[48] And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. [49] The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. [50] Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

He could have called Elias as they mocked. He didn’t call on Elias, instead He asked “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

Again: Luke 9:54-56
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw this , they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them . And they went to another village.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Matthew 11:13-15
[13] For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. [14] And if ye will receive it , this is Elias, which was for to come. [15] He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew 17:11-12
[11] And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. [12] But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

Luke 9:54-56

“...wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?”

Mark 15:33-35
[33] And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. [34] And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [35] And some of them that stood by, when they heard it , said, Behold, he calleth Elias.

Luke 23:34-41
[34] Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. [35] And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him , saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God. [36] And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar, [37] And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself. [38] And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS . [39] And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. [40] But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? [41] And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

Matthew 27:48-50
[48] And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. [49] The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. [50] Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

He could have called Elias as they mocked. He didn’t call on Elias, instead He asked “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

Again: Luke 9:54-56
Good verses there!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When Jesus came and saved me the Bible was a foreign object. I had no idea that I had been saved. I would not read the Bible or attend any church at all. Only AFTER I had been born again did I discover what had happened to me in it's pages. In Ezekiel chapter 34 God says he will come himself to seek his wandering sheep. After I was indeed born again as a new creation he baptized me in his Holy Spirit. Once again I had no idea what had happened to me. Many such salvations have been wrought by God. The shepherds were chained to the meeting house while God went forth to save miserable men such as I.

I consider this a wonderful thing. I did not have to throw in with any man created denomination and become a religious slave to their traditions and doctrines.

Psalm 115:3 KJVS
But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

God does whatever he wants I also now read within the pages of that mystical living book. Every time we imagine we know God's order of things he comes and does it another way. Scientists have many theories as to why Venus rotates opposite the others but they don't know. Perhaps God's sense of humor.

Many have been born again by reading the Bible. My friend's alcoholic father always read the Bible even when drunk. One day he was caused to understand what he was reading and became a born again Christian.

Most people come to salvation through the Bible's words. But not all. It takes the Bible to explain what has happened. It's the only book in God's library. Salvation is explained in no other book.
It's wonderful to keep getting more and more light from the Scriptures day by day!

"O may these hallowed pages be
My ever dear delight!
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light!"