Is the Bible an instruction book on how to be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
life-giving spirit

A ‘life-giving’ spirit. For the longest time I read “quickening” spirit and never fully saw how truly powerful life-giving He is.

Makes me consider Luke 9:54-56
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw this , they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of (life-giving)spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them ...

Reactions: ScottA and bbyrd009

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, but that does sound fam, hmm...oh ya,
Bible Search: only God can forgive sins

gee, look who you are Quoting now Jun
which you are hardly alone there, don't get me wrong ok

Once I gave a link to someone but that was the first and the last time and had nothing to do with the Gospel. I do not go outside of the Bible for truths.

Commentaries are a help only if the writer is faithful to the word of God.

BTW, the answer is Mark 2:7

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Is the bible instruction on how to be saved?"

I do not believe at all that that is it's first goal.
I believe that firstly it is a love story of Someone desiring union and fellowship but the free choice of the reader/hearer.
It is Father God revealing Himself...and obviously it does show the 'how' for the hearers.

Like someone else already mention in this thread. I too wanted HIM, I wanted to know Him , but didn't know how.
I was NOT conscious of sin, it never went through my mind...it was fellowship with God Himself that I desired.

Afterward, when reading the scriptures , I understood that what was separating me from God was the sin-gap. That knowledge came after.
So my answer is no I do not find it a "how to get saved" book.
It is God's story toward mankind. And once we come into salvation , He then takes us deeper into His word and His Plan...revelation upon revelation , ...and we slowly grow and mature.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Is the bible instruction on how to be saved?"

I do not believe at all that that is it's first goal.
I believe that firstly it is a love story of Someone desiring union and fellowship but the free choice of the reader/hearer.
It is Father God revealing Himself...and obviously it does show the 'how' for the hearers.

Like someone else already mention in this thread. I too wanted HIM, I wanted to know Him , but didn't know how.
I was NOT conscious of sin, it never went through my mind...it was fellowship with God Himself that I desired.

Afterward, when reading the scriptures , I understood that what was separating me from God was the sin-gap. That knowledge came after.
So my answer is no I do not find it a "how to get saved" book.
It is God's story toward mankind. And once we come into salvation , He then takes us deeper into His word and His Plan...revelation upon revelation , ...and we slowly grow and mature.
"revelation upon revelation"
Amen to that. I do believe every single person who becomes saved will be crazy surprised to find out just how many hidden pearls are woven within His written Word! Oh how I wish I were more disciplined! One day, one day ;)

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
only God can forgive sins.
ah, but that does sound fam, hmm...oh ya Bible Search: only God can forgive sins
Once I gave a link to someone but that was the first and the last time and had nothing to do with the Gospel. I do not go outside of the Bible for truths.

i have no idea what you are talking about now, sorry. The link takes you right to the Book bro

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:38-41
38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
41 "I do not receive honor from men.
NKJV

Religious man has always used scriptures to establish a formula of requirements to be saved.

I would rather say, MEN recognize and teach, what is Gods "ORDER" and "WAY", which could I suppose be "called" a "formula of sorts"....which I hear noone making such claim....but none the less, whether it be called, "Gods Order, Gods Way, or a Formula", it is what God Himself has provided TO men, FOR men to learn and follow.

They just will not believe in the one that paid the price for all the sins of mankind.

That is a ridiculous claim.

Like Cain, they are so busy making up rules and requirements of things they must do and miss going to the one that can save them.

No doubt men do like to MAKE RULES and REQUIREMENTS....it was an Early lesson, thee Lord God Himself taught Mankind.

And BTW is quite effective, for Mankind to use such lesson, when rearing up the Gift of a Child the Lord God bestows to Men.

A person is saved when they realize they can not save themselves by what they do. It is then that they will place their faith in what Jesus did for them on the cross.

You appear to not consider the ORDER and WAY thee Lord God Himself has taught...
Which IS;

PREPARATION.

Taking up the cross is not taking up requirements of things to do but is placing faith and trust in what Jesus has already done for man on the cross.

I disagree.

Preparation and the Individual UNDERSTANDING "BEFORE" the Individual "AGRESS" to "ACCEPT" the Lords "OFFERING" is Paramount.

There IS a DIFFERENCE, in an Individual's Understanding....

To call on the Name of the Lord;
The Worldly WAY...
TO BECOME SAVED...."FROM" damnination..
Or
The Lords SPIRITUAL WAY...
To call on the Name of the Lord;
TO BECOME SAVED...."UNTO" the Lord.

Thee Lord God, implores us to Have Understanding, according to HIS WAY.

Glory to God,
Taken

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="bbyrd009, post: 473287, member: 7326"]i have no idea what you are talking about now, sorry. The link takes you right to the Book bro[/QUOTE]

Only if the writer/interpreter is faithful to the Book, as you call it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
only God can forgive sins.
ah, but that does sound fam, hmm...oh ya Bible Search: only God can forgive sins

i have no idea what you are talking about now, sorry. The link takes you right to the Book bro

Only if the writer/interpreter is faithful to the Book, as you call it.
?
boy, i thought "the Book" was a pretty familiar term, sorry.
Anyway, bam cut out the interpreter, but the writer, i dunno how you're going to do that! Prolly you meant "translator?" So cut them out too, and read from the Lex,
Mark 2:7 Lexicon: "Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming; who can forgive sins but God alone?"
Luke 5:21 Lexicon: The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?"

if there is a discrepancy pls point it out, i find them a lot in English but i don't see any substantial variance here

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@101G you might have a comment there

Who can forgive sins except God alone?
:)
let me give a comment, ONLY God can forgive sin?. who said that?
Mark 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.
Mark 2:6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,
Mark 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only? (STOP, who said that? .... the scribs)
Mark 2:8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
Mark 2:9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
Mark 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
Mark 2:11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
Mark 2:12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

here, God/Jesus, is showing men that they have the authority, not the power, but the authority to forgive sins, let's see it clearly,

Matt 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Matt 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

now, did not almighty God give MAN "dominion" here on earth. let's see,
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

as the Lord Jesus said before, have you not read the scriptures. see bbyrd009 men go for the doctrine of men instead of God. for the Lord Jesus said,
Isa 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

NOW, let's see this authority clearly, and in real time.
John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
John 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

now the revelation, did you not hear? "they are remitted unto them"... my, my.

well bbyrd009, that's my comment.

Maybe a re-read of this post may give clarity

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 5:

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Eph. 2:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Maybe a re-read of this post may give clarity
ah well i agree with you, but i tagged you to show the thing we were talking about last night, which i tried to rebuild in that post but you might have to trackback to get a better sense. And i'd like to make clear here that i don't blame Jun or anything, even if i would love to make this into an illustration of why we cannot even confess our sins one to another as Hegelians

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A ‘life-giving’ spirit. For the longest time I read “quickening” spirit and never fully saw how truly powerful life-giving He is.

Makes me consider Luke 9:54-56
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw this , they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [55] But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of (life-giving)spirit ye are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them ...
The word 'quickening' means 'making alive'...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'm not sure as to what you're reffering to.
is this in reference to "Judging?". or ........
i meant to point out the resistance at "only God can forgive sins," even though that is not exactly "not answering a question," like we discussed last night, it might be seen that i countered "Only God can forgive sins" with Scripture that refutes that, right? Iow i essentially posed a Q, "what about these vv?" and as you can see, the answer is apparently "the Bible does not really say that," although i am not being so fair to Jun now

so imo let's consider that one separately

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy