Is the church necessary for salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians today have the wrong idea of what being saved and then going to church means. Many think that in order to be saved, they have to have perfect attendance at a church and be very active in it. Some even think that if they don't go to church, they have backslidden or even abandoned the faith.
The Bible clearly says that salvation is by grace through faith (see Ephesians 2:8-9). Our actions or any denominational affiliation doesn't save us – only the finished atoning work of Christ does (see Acts 4:12)
So where does church come in now? Friends, we have fellowship with other believers because we are fellow believers who are one with Christ and therefore one with each other (see Hebrews 10:25). We don't see each other to be saved; rather we remind each other of the salvation that only Christ can give and did give to us - we build each other up and in doing so, build up Christ's body. We don't worship to be saved; we worship our Savior in gratitude to His saving work.
Eph 2 does not refer to justification or sanctification or salvation but it refers to redemption and Christ redeemed all men

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Redemption, Justification, Sanctification, and Salvation!

Redemption: 100 percent the work of God, thru the life, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ! All mankind are redeemed in Christ! Eph 2
Galatians 2:16 3:13
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law...

Justification: our acceptance of redemption thru faith and baptism! Become a disciple and member of Christ and His Church! Jn 3:5 acts 2:38 Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized shall be saved. 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Sanctification: the life of grace in the holy sacrifice of the mass and sacraments, prayer, virture, and good works, the just living by faith, and faith working thru love! Phil 1:29 called to suffer with Christ.
All done in Christ thru His grace! Jn 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Salvation: a christian in the state if grace at the moment of death we enter into the salvation of the Lord! Mt 24:44-47 faithful servant! Jn 15:1-5 abide in me. Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Heb 4:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Rom 13:11 ...for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
Then Once saved always saved!

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You deny this scripture

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmmm.....Scripture disagrees with you. Scripture says the church is the pillar and foundation of truth and that we are to go to The Church to settle our differnces and if we refuse to listen to The Church we are to be treated as a pagan or tax collector (kicked out of the Church). Sooooo that is what The Church has to do with this. You deny The Church and its authority clearly spoken of in Scripture.....I accept it's authority!

Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor,

tend the flock of God that is in your charge, exercising the oversight,

the ark is a type of the church
How many outside the ark lived?
So with the church

1 Pet 3:20
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark all died and outside the church there is no salvation!)

Reactions: Marymog

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal)

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator for all people

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church for all people
Lol, I "like" the way you just insert "Catholic" It's not there! The universal church is all believers.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture for that?
The English word "church" comes from the Greek adjective kyriakon which means "of the Lord.
The word in the Bible most often translated as "church" is the Greek ekklesia, which means any gathering of people. When Jesus said, "…on this rock I will build my church…" (Matthew 16:18), He was actually saying He would build His gathering of people.
1 Corinthians 5:12; 10:32; 12:28; 14:12; Ephesians 5:23-24; 1 Timothy 3:5, 7, 15: When Paul gives instruction to "the church," he is often referring to the body of believers as a whole.

The church universal includes every believer in the world, no matter what denomination, and excludes every non-believer even if they go to a Bible-teaching church.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The English word "church" comes from the Greek adjective kyriakon which means "of the Lord.
The word in the Bible most often translated as "church" is the Greek ekklesia, which means any gathering of people. When Jesus said, "…on this rock I will build my church…" (Matthew 16:18), He was actually saying He would build His gathering of people.
1 Corinthians 5:12; 10:32; 12:28; 14:12; Ephesians 5:23-24; 1 Timothy 3:5, 7, 15: When Paul gives instruction to "the church," he is often referring to the body of believers as a whole.

The church universal includes every believer in the world, no matter what denomination, and excludes every non-believer even if they go to a Bible-teaching church.

how can the universal church include all believers if they don’t all have the same faith and practice?

unity of faith demands they all hold the same faith! Catholic and divine!

and sacraments

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the church was not official until Pentecost, baptism not a requirement until the death of the savior
Show me ”faith alone” in scripture

Are you sure the church began at Pentecost? FYI, Ancient Israel was the first congregation and what does the term "Show me 'faith alone' in scripture, mean?" Please elaborate.

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

There is only one covenant, that is, the true Gospel!

With all the Scripture references you mentioned above I will deal with Mt. 16:18.

You and the members of CC have no idea what you say regarding Mt. 16:18. So that there will be no confusion Jesus said, "Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone. Joh.1:42

Do you "get" at all what Jesus just said about Peter? Do you know why He said that? To make clear what Scripture declares that only God is the Rock!

"For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? Ps.18:31

"And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1Co. 10:4

To God Be The Glory

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure the church began at Pentecost? FYI, Ancient Israel was the first congregation and what does the term "Show me 'faith alone' in scripture, mean?" Please elaborate.

There is only one covenant, that is, the true Gospel!

With all the Scripture references you mentioned above I will deal with Mt. 16:18.

You and the members of CC have no idea what you say regarding Mt. 16:18. So that there will be no confusion Jesus said, "Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone. Joh.1:42

Do you "get" at all what Jesus just said about Peter? Do you know why He said that? To make clear what Scripture declares that only God is the Rock!

"For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? Ps.18:31

"And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1Co. 10:4

To God Be The Glory

I don’t care for this argument means nothing, what matters is the authority Peter in his person received symbolic of the keys

The authority of the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 acts 9 eph 2:20

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jesus Christ does not abandon His holy bride! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Galatians 3:27
Yes, being baptized in the passages that you quoted, means baptism in the name of Jesus. In all the said verses, it implies that once baptized, you belong to one body, but it is not the body that baptizes you.
And, this body of Christ, is simply comprised of true believers, not a hierarchal structure established by avaricious and lascivious men, who attempt claim dominance and subjugation over its congregants.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ummmmm.....Scripture disagrees with you. Scripture says the church is the pillar and foundation of truth and that we are to go to The Church to settle our differnces and if we refuse to listen to The Church we are to be treated as a pagan or tax collector (kicked out of the Church). Sooooo that is what The Church has to do with this. You deny The Church and its authority clearly spoken of in Scripture.....I accept it's authority!

Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor,

tend the flock of God that is in your charge, exercising the oversight,
You belong to a cult Mary, the incriminating proof is in its history and dogma. You belong to a cult.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, being baptized in the passages that you quoted, means baptism in the name of Jesus. In all the said verses, it implies that once baptized, you belong to one body, but it is not the body that baptizes you.
And, this body of Christ, is simply comprised of true believers, not a hierarchal structure established by avaricious and lascivious men, who attempt claim dominance and subjugation over its congregants.

no as pastors over the flock

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

still don’t see why you are scandalized by authority and really only the jurisdictional authority???

The authority of the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors!

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Jesus Christ does not abandon His holy bride! Matt 28:19-20

Keys of authority! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 18:20
20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
You said "The church is simply wherever two are gathered in his name." That passage does not say that. What man taught you that?

Read that passage IN CONTEXT and you will see that your men have taught you wrong. Putting your theory to the test shows that 2-3 Catholics can join together and...according to what you have been taught.... they make up The Church and Jesus is in their midst. If those 2-3 Catholics disagree with 2-3 Lutheran's who.... according to your theory.... also make up The Church and they disagree with the Catholics on what one must do to be saved your theory suggest that they are both right even though they have different teachings. According to your theory Jesus was in both of their midst and guiding them to the Truth but both of their truths are different. So is Jesus confused or are you confused? Your theory is bankrupt and is not based on Scripture.

Reactions: theefaith

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You belong to a cult Mary, the incriminating proof is in its history and dogma. You belong to a cult.
I did not know that until you told me....Thank you! I would like to join your church and get out of this cult. What is the name of your denomination?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
no as pastors over the flock

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
History has proven otherwise