Is the Holy Spirit a "He," "She," or “It”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Okay ...I have corrected the word welding and added faith walking as well...thanks ^_^

...and I basically pointed out that if he were not fully human, he could not have represented us on the cross as a sinless sacrifice. If he came in his true nature...he is blameless already but because he was flesh and blood and still fulfilled the law by not sinning...he became our redeemer...our savior and our great high priest...

Philippians 2
6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death even death on a cross!

Shalom!!!

Jesus Christ was fully Human! I agree with what you are saying.

Can we now get on with the discussion of this thread?

Thanks, JLB

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
I trust your judgement and your spirit more than some of the others on here.

This is a sensitive subject. I don't really share about this, except that I saw this thread started and thought I would put in my 2 cents concerning what the scriptures say.

There are some things the Word has to say that I chose not to just ignore.

Point number 1. - Genesis 1:26-27

26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Based on this scripture was "female" made in the image of God?

JLB

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Genesis 1 is an overview [summary] of Genesis 2 which depicts Adam and Eve in greater detail.

I believe the key word here is:
26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image

H120 âdâm- man
From H119; ruddy, that is, a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.): - X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.

Mankind: which also includes Eve as being made in the image of God - yes

Genesis 5
5 This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. [sup]2 [/sup]He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.

Please note: The emphasis here is on Adam [male and female] = mankind.

Hope this helps...

Bless ya!!!

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Genesis 1 is an overview [summary] of Genesis 2 which depicts Adam and Eve in greater detail.

I believe the key word here is:

H120 âdâm- man
From H119; ruddy, that is, a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.): - X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.

Mankind: which also includes Eve as being made in the image of God - yes

Genesis 5
5 This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. [sup]2 [/sup]He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created.

Please note: The emphasis here is on Adam [male and female] = mankind.

Hope this helps...

Bless ya!!!

Thank you for your answer.

I'm glad you see that Eve was made in the image and likeness of God.

JLB

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
JLB,
You are clearly female and can not stand to believe that any man might have authority over you, however God has other ideas. Adam was created in the image of God and Eve was created from a rib of man and created in the image of man. She is the weaker vessel according to the Words of God and is to obey the commands of her father or husband. Is not allowed to make any vows without the permission of her father or husband. Her husband or father can allow her vow to stand or recend it at his descretion. She does not have the choice to make any vows of her own free will and make it stand without premission to do so. She is not allowed to authority over men in spiritual matters eithor, plus she is not allowed to teach men. All of this is by the Words of God, unless you convelute scripture to suit your own purpose.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
JLB,
You are clearly female and can not stand to believe that any man might have authority over you, however God has other ideas. Adam was created in the image of God and Eve was created from a rib of man and created in the image of man. She is the weaker vessel according to the Words of God and is to obey the commands of her father or husband. Is not allowed to make any vows without the permission of her father or husband. Her husband or father can allow her vow to stand or recend it at his descretion. She does not have the choice to make any vows of her own free will and make it stand without premission to do so. She is not allowed to authority over men in spiritual matters eithor, plus she is not allowed to teach men. All of this is by the Words of God, unless you convelute scripture to suit your own purpose.

Was Eve made in the image of God or not?

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
JLB,
I have already told you NO, she was made in the image of man, who was made in the image of God. This is not my desision, but that of God as He is the one who said it. You reposted my post that tells you that Eve is the weaker vessel and is not allowed to make decisions on her own, how much more can be said?

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
JLB,
I have already told you NO, she was made in the image of man, who was made in the image of God. This is not my desision, but that of God as He is the one who said it. You reposted my post that tells you that Eve is the weaker vessel and is not allowed to make decisions on her own, how much more can be said?

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him;male and female He created them.

God created the male from the dust of the ground, in His image.

God created the female from the rib of the male, which was created from the dust of the ground, in His image.

Female was created in the image of God.

It doesn't matter WHAT the female was created from, she was created in the image of God.

JLB

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
JLB,
Eve was made in the image of God only by implication and not directly as God is male in form and not female. Why is this so important to you?

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
JLB,
Eve was made in the image of God only by implication and not directly as God is male in form and not female. Why is this so important to you?

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

It doesn't get anymore direct than that.

HE CREATED THEM!

That means both were created by God in THEIR image.

What in the world do you mean "by implication"?

Are you implying that God did not create Eve?

If God did not create Eve, then WHO did?

Why is it so important to you to distort what is plainly written?

JLB

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
JLB,

Eve is not a weaker sex in God's eyes. God is not a sexist. God sees man and woman as equal. He created them equal with the same dignity awarded to human beings. When Adam said, "bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh" he refers Eve as his equal with the same dignity. Eve is not the same as the animals, but equal to Adam with the same dignity as a human and made in God's image and likeness.

The point of Genesis 1 is to show that God created everything including man and woman. He indeed created man and woman in his image and likeness. He is not sexist. The point in Genesis 2 is simply to show that woman was made for man for it is not good for man to be alone. We often use Genesis 2 to show that same-sex marriage was never in God's plan in the beginning. Since the beginning, marriage should only be between a man and a woman. When God made Eve from Adam's ribs (side), it means that Eve is to stand beside her husband Adam, NOT from behind him.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
Selene, you and JLB need to read srcipture from beginning to end and see how many times women are not given equal roles with men. Man is the head of the house hold and responsible for their survival, not woman. Thus the superior role for man as opposed to woman. I gave you a few examples and still you say that God did not make man the head of woman and that their roles are equal.. Your war is not with me it is with scripture and the author of it God. Please reread the Word for your self and find the answer is just as I have said.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Nothing in scripture supports the lack of equality between men and woman. It details our vast differences, and the different roles we are each to play. The very best example is the Holy Spirit. Eve was made to be a 'helper' for Adam, and the Holy Spirit is called our helper. There is nothing lacking in the Spirit...He is not less than the other members of the Trinity...
Oh wait...you don't believe in the Trinity, do you?
Never mind then....

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Selene, you and JLB need to read srcipture from beginning to end and see how many times women are not given equal roles with men. Man is the head of the house hold and responsible for their survival, not woman. Thus the superior role for man as opposed to woman. I gave you a few examples and still you say that God did not make man the head of woman and that their roles are equal.. Your war is not with me it is with scripture and the author of it God. Please reread the Word for your self and find the answer is just as I have said.
My dear friend. There is no passage that calls the man the head of the house hold. What it says is that he is the head of the wife. But in the same context we find that Christ is the head of the church and the Father the head of the Son. You are confusing the word with "lord". Headship is a relationship term, not an authoritative term. In their relationship, Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father. They are joint creators of all things. They have joint rulership over creation.

The husband and wife have joint rulership over the household. They are partners. But as the head of the wife, the man is responsible for her well being and safety. He is the caregiver, the lifegiver, and the savior of the wife. We are to love our wives as Christ loved the church and gave His life for her. It is unfair and untruthful to say that the man's role is in any way superior to the woman's in a relationship. They are both equally important, though different. In the church, we also have differing roles, but in fact we are in no way inferior or superior to one another.

Consider your own head. Does it rule over your body? Is it superior to any other part? It is the part of you that cares for the rest of your body. When your body is hungry, your head goes into action. When in pain, in distress, cold, tired, etc., your head goes into action to meet the needs of the body. The head is the servant of the body. You have it backwards, my friend.

Furthermore, men and women are hard wired in such a way as to reveal the kind of interaction we have with God. He initiated the relationship. We respond. Those are seen as male and female traits. Men pursue. Women recieve and respond. He courts her and proposes. This is how our relationship with God happens. We love Him because He first loved us. But in the old covenant, they served God out of duty. A man's wife may certainly do that out of duty as well, if he has the attitude of rulership over her. But try loving her as I described and see how different her response becomes. She is built to respond, and take it from me, a woman knows how to care for others. You as a man, can't match it.
I know from experience, and learned the hard way. But I learned, thank God.

Erudite Celt

Jun 20, 2012
ULSTER
The Holy Spirit is a personage a holy bieing, so it can not be an it ​. In the beginning of Genesis God spoke the words let us make man in our image this does not infer that the person of the Holy Spirit is masculine as the word is used in the context of humanity, ie humankind,mankind. If the writer of genesis had meant to imply this he would have said thus, let us make men in our image and not let us make man...
​Thomas Aquinas wrote the following on being..."Being is not a genus, since it is not predicated unequivocally but only analogically."

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
My dear friend. There is no passage that calls the man the head of the house hold. What it says is that he is the head of the wife. But in the same context we find that Christ is the head of the church and the Father the head of the Son. You are confusing the word with "lord". Headship is a relationship term, not an authoritative term. In their relationship, Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father. They are joint creators of all things. They have joint rulership over creation.

The husband and wife have joint rulership over the household. They are partners. But as the head of the wife, the man is responsible for her well being and safety. He is the caregiver, the lifegiver, and the savior of the wife. We are to love our wives as Christ loved the church and gave His life for her. It is unfair and untruthful to say that the man's role is in any way superior to the woman's in a relationship. They are both equally important, though different. In the church, we also have differing roles, but in fact we are in no way inferior or superior to one another.

Consider your own head. Does it rule over your body? Is it superior to any other part? It is the part of you that cares for the rest of your body. When your body is hungry, your head goes into action. When in pain, in distress, cold, tired, etc., your head goes into action to meet the needs of the body. The head is the servant of the body. You have it backwards, my friend.

Furthermore, men and women are hard wired in such a way as to reveal the kind of interaction we have with God. He initiated the relationship. We respond. Those are seen as male and female traits. Men pursue. Women recieve and respond. He courts her and proposes. This is how our relationship with God happens. We love Him because He first loved us. But in the old covenant, they served God out of duty. A man's wife may certainly do that out of duty as well, if he has the attitude of rulership over her. But try loving her as I described and see how different her response becomes. She is built to respond, and take it from me, a woman knows how to care for others. You as a man, can't match it.
I know from experience, and learned the hard way. But I learned, thank God.
Well put.jolly good show old bean.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
williemac,
The problem here is you are trying to be politically correct, which is all the rage now, however God is not politically correct as He is the creator of all and the head of all. I fully understand the interchange between man and woman and am all for it, but God has His rules and they are not negotiable. Why was the sin of eating from the tree of knowledge not imputed to Eve instead of Adam?
If both are equal and she ate first, then she is the creator of original sin, yet it is not imputed to her, but to Adam, why?
Rach,
I have given you a grammer lesson to prove the Spirit is just a part of God and not separate from Him. The original wording is masculin neutered, which makes it an it. Please do not accept papal doctrine as part of Christianity, as that is where this doctrine came from and not from God. If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church it stretches all of the way back to the time of Paul and he warns about it in his writings. Protestants are the ones in a fallen state now and are in danger of facing the wrath to come. There are a number of good books that tell of all of the many paganisms brought into Christanity by the Catholic Church, just look at the vatican, it is full of pagan relics and if you try to uinderstand the second commandment it forbids all displays of these kinds of relics.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Rach,
I have given you a grammer lesson to prove the Spirit is just a part of God and not separate from Him. The original wording is masculin neutered, which makes it an it. Please do not accept papal doctrine as part of Christianity, as that is where this doctrine came from and not from God. If you actually study the history of the Catholic Church it stretches all of the way back to the time of Paul and he warns about it in his writings. Protestants are the ones in a fallen state now and are in danger of facing the wrath to come. There are a number of good books that tell of all of the many paganisms brought into Christanity by the Catholic Church, just look at the vatican, it is full of pagan relics and if you try to uinderstand the second commandment it forbids all displays of these kinds of relics.

MmmmHmmm. And I'm supposed to just take your word, and apparent superior grammer talent, above the word of God? The doctrine of the Trinity is very clear and apparent in scripture. You can call me pagan, I'll just call you heretical, and we're done here. Ta.