Is the kingdom of God within me, too?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my humble opinion, the primary meaning of the kingdom of God is God's Heaven.

God's Heaven exists beyond our Universe, and is not physical, but metaphysical.

Actually....let's just talk for a minute about what you are saying. (I like Heaven discussions)

God is eternal right?
Meaning that He is not bound by time. Time itself was something God created that we, as mortals are limited by....(we try not to put God into a box and carry Him about with us....but being limited the way we are tends to make us want to do so)

And since we can pretty much count on prophesy to be true....there are several that say this earth/universe is doomed for destruction. (Armageddon)

All this to say that the exact opposite of what you said is true. Heaven is the permanent reality and currently we are in the temporary. We are the metaphysical and Heaven is the physical.

From OUR perspective only, the reverse is true. But if we look at things the way God likely does....well, we are just the experiment that gets tossed out one day with the garbage.

When you are going to live forever....time to start understanding where you real home is. (Hint: it's not here)

And I'm not trying to chastise you or fuss at you....far from it. We base our thoughts and logic upon what we have experienced or had explained to ourselves. You were speaking honestly from what you know. And now that you have had it explained...you know better.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dev553344

View attachment 39717

“Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, and he answered, “The kingdom of God will not come with things that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.” — Luke 17:20–21

Is the kingdom of God within me, too?​

You know It is not my intent to answer your question with a yes or A No but as long an understanding is reached, well actually have you ever considered? The Christian Hope

Love, Walter

• Love
Reactions: A shy girl Chloë

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@dev553344

View attachment 39717

“Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, and he answered, “The kingdom of God will not come with things that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.” — Luke 17:20–21

Is the kingdom of God within me, too?​

Really, It is odd to answer a question with a question, but I figure in some cases it is necessary, Just! What Is The Kingdom Of God?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Is The Kingdom Of God?

Romans 14:17
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy IN the Holy Ghost.

Unless one is abiding IN Christ and Christ is abiding IN them... the Kingdom of God is not within them.

To abide IN Christ one must first be born again, by repenting from their sin and asking Jesus to forgive them of their sin and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior and go forward abiding IN Him having a personal relation with Him having departed from following this world and instead by led by the Holy Spirit which is always based on God's Word which can only be found in the Bible.

The starting point is...

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh (live in sin), ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

I am a Muslim.

Sorry to hear that.... if you want to know how to spend eternity in Heaven with The Almighty... let us know! thumbsup2.gif

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
@Karl Peters
The Word of God we preach is found near us, in our mouth and in our hearts:

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

But what does that actually mean?

Well - it means that we find the Holy Spirit communicating with our spirit in us! That is where are spiritual senses pick up the Holy Spirit.

So when we read something like:

Rev 3:20 ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

We find that if we choose to listen to the Lord by faith He is able to come into us so that we can talk, right? Because what do you really do when you sit down with some over lunch of dinner - don't you talk back and forth with them. And Jesus explained that the Holy Spirit took the words of God which belong to Him and spoke His words to us and that is what gives us life.

Jn 16:15 “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.
Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Yet the Holy Spirit is omni-present - meaning He is everywhere, and also consider that the Holy Spirit is not the only spirit. Do we not battle with the dark forces of this world, and are there not more with us than again us? (Eph 6:12, Kings 6:16)

That does not mean they are God and are omni-present, but it does mean that we live with a spiritual world around us with both good and evil and we pick up that world with our spiritual senses which are in us! We should have, and do have spiritual senses, but who wants to consider that and seek the Lord our God?

So we people, all of us, tend to go around blind. deaf. and dumb, spiritually speaking, and the evil spirits wish to keep it that way!! Which is why we tend to look at other people and their problems instead of looking inside ourselves and seeking the LORD OF LORD AND KING OF KINGS, Jesus Christ, for His help.

This is also why people tend to look at the Bible with their physical eyes and lean on their own understanding of it, instead of seeking Jesus Christ, the KING OF KINGS, and His Kingdom, even though Jesus preach the Kingdom of God (His Kingdom) and clearly explained that we need to seek it, even first! What is the first thing prayed for in the Lord's prayer, is it not "Thy Kingdom come"?

So if we indeed want the His Holy Spirit, who is everywhere, then the Holy Spirit is sent with the words of God which Jesus Christ, the Son of God and Word of God who is God, owns because His father gave all things to Him, including the very words of God. So His Holy Spirit takes those words and speak to us with what we often call 'the small voice' but which the writter's of the Bible called the word of God.

1 Chr 17:3 It came about the same night that the word of God came to Nathan, saying,

The above verse meant the Holy Spirit came to Nathan with the words of God that the Christ had then. Which might be compared to a phone call being placed, where the Holy Spirit is the phone which hooks you up with our Lord, because the Holy Spirit does not speak on His own.

And by using those same spiritual ears which are in us, we can also pick up demons and angels. It is like the cartoon where you have a little demon over one shoulder and a little angel on the other. Those things wind up in cartoons because inside we all have this understanding, we just don't want to think about it.

So where exactly is the Kingdom of God? It is in our midst, right? But how can that be? We don't fully know, but that is where we find it. Now Huge Ross, a Christian cosmologist (one who studies the cosmos and who work in the aero space industry) has some interesting books in which he gives and idea. He seems to believe that it is in another dimension, which seems creepy, but is really more mathematical, he explains. That is to say that we live in four dimensions and know of five, as Huge explains.

A movie screen is 2 dimensional - height and width. But you can give the appearance of movement when you show a movie. And clearvely we can make the movie to appear as if the screen is 3 dimensional, and with the apparent movement of the 3 D movie it looks like real life in which we have height, width, distance, and movement - which are all dimensions that can be mathematically examined. Then add the speed of sound ideas in science and you have a 5th dimension. Huge Ross then proposes the idea that there could be say five other dimensions which perhaps could make up the spiritual realm and so we then would have the Kingdom of God in our midst. Now that is an hypothesis, but we do find that there is another, spiritual, realm around us when we seek the Lord, right?

I think that the main point of my question: " Is the kingdom of God within me, too? "
having been asked by an Agnostic in the context of Luke 17:20–21, is that Jesus' answer
had been specifically addressed to the Pharisees, and before Jesus was crucified.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
Unless one is abiding IN Christ and Christ is abiding IN them... the Kingdom of God is not within them.

I think that the main point of my question: " Is the kingdom of God within me, too? "
having been asked by an Agnostic in the context of Luke 17:20–21, is that Jesus' answer
had been specifically addressed to the Pharisees, and before Jesus was crucified.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
First of all, why did Jesus say to the Pharisees who are not saved, that the Kingdom of GOD is within you?

It is because and is written, 'Who are the Israelites, to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the Law, and the service of GOD, and the promises; Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen. (Romans9:4&5)

Romans9:4&5 have been spoken after Jesus was crucified.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
I would not put up a big fight about this distinction here in Luke 17:20-21. As a group, we represent the Kingdom of God unified by the Paraclete. In this sense, the Christians indwelled by the Paraclete are in the midst of the world.

Jan 9, 2024
Kitchener
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
The Kingdom of God COULD be within you - Are willing to acknowledge Jesus the Christ as the king?

Had these Pharisees acknowledged Jesus as the Christ
and as the King before Jesus was crucified?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come

They were thinking in terms of when is Jesus going to over throw the Romain Empire and set Himself up as ruler... which is what the Jews wanted and since Jesus did not do that when He came to earth the first time... it's why Israel did not accept Him as their Savior.

The first time He came to earth, He came as a suffering servant.

When He returns the second time, He will then setup His Kingdom on earth and He will rule this world for 1000 years and we will finally have good government.

So yeah they were thinking carnally as in Jesus setting up His Kingdom on earth.... rather than His Kingdom being within us once we become born again believers and abide IN Him having turned away from our sinful lifestyle

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Beloved (Exalted is He) knows best.

Currently you have your wagon hitched to the wrong horse!

But, if you are certain and confident you are serving the real god... then when the future gets here, you'll find out. thumbsup2.gif

Mankind is without excuse! (Romans 1:20)

Niblo

Jul 16, 2021
Leeds
Faith
Muslim
Country
United Kingdom
If I told you, you would convert to Islam tomorrow. :)
Greetings,

Concerning the Myth of the 72 Virgins:

The Qur’an refers to Heaven as ‘al-janna’, meaning ‘the garden’. It is the home of the righteous; the home of Peace.

M.A.S. Abdel Haleem – King Fahd Professor of Islamic Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London – writes:

‘Full knowledge of the real nature of the rewards of the righteous, the Qur’an says, ‘is kept hidden’, it has not been given to any human. The same verbal form is used in Arabic to negate such knowledge – la ta‘lamu – applies to the present and to the future: fa lā ta‘lamu nafsun mā ‘ukhfiya lahum min qurrati a‘yūnin' (No soul knows what joy is laid up for them secretly as a reward for what they were doing.)

‘No discomfort or ill health will result from eating and drinking there. The drink is pure. It neither dulls their senses nor causes intoxication (37:47); it causes no headaches (56:19); it is ‘a cup which does not lead to any idle talk or sin’ (52:23).

‘In these pleasing surroundings stand ‘good, peaceful homes’ (9:72) with ‘lofty dwellings built for them, one above the other, graced with flowing streams’ (39:20). There are detailed descriptions of these goodly dwellings (e.g. 55:52–72; 56:15–34; and 88:13–16) – raised couches upholstered in brocade, goblets placed ready, cushions arranged and carpets outspread. We see the dwellers in pleasant company: ‘they will enter perpetual gardens, along with their righteous ancestors, spouses, and descendants’ (13:23; and 52:20–1) adorned in green silk. They sit on couches in a relaxed manner, engaged in pleasant conversation, recalling happy memories, absorbed in rejoicing; their faces shining, laughing and joyous (80:38–9).

‘There is no overt mention in the Qur’an of sex taking place between spouses in janna, although the relationship is lawful between spouses and the Qur’an does not shy away from mentioning it in the context of this world. The mutual love (‘uruban) between spouses in the garden (56:37–8) epitomises the most fulfilling aspect of the relationship between spouses as expressed in the Qur’an: ‘Another of His signs is that He created spouses from among yourselves for you to live with in tranquillity: He ordained love and kindness between you (30:21).’ (‘Understanding the Qur’an – Themes and Style’).

The notion that martyrs in Heaven will be given seventy-two virgins is not found in the Qur’an.

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) says:

‘But those mindful of Allāh will be in a safe place amid Gardens and springs, clothed in silk and fine brocade, facing one another: and we shall marry them to fair ones having beautiful eyes.’ (Al-Dukhan: 52-54).

The text ‘and we shall marry them to fair ones having beautiful eyes’ renders: ‘wazawwajnāhum biḥūrin ʿīnin.’

Sūrah ‘Al-Tur: 20; says likewise:

‘…..and we shall marry them to fair ones having beautiful eyes (‘wazawwajnāhum biḥūrin ʿīnin.)’

In these ʾāyāt the word biḥūrin comes from ‘ḥūri’; and can be applied to both men and women.

In other words, men will marry fair companions who are female; and women will marry fair companions who are male.

Blessings.