Is The Mosaic Law Passed Away ??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was just simply focusing on the same idea you and Ducky were with 1 Cor.6:12, comparing it with other Scripture by Apostle Paul. My point is that all of what Paul said there must be included, also with other of Paul's Epistles where he speaks of the same things. Galatians 5 is one of them. So is 1 Timothy 1:9-10.

The problem is how some misinterpret the idea of "lawful" there from Paul.

1 Cor 6:9-11
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
(KJV)

Paul just said that prior to the 1 Cor.6:12 verse, so that MUST be included with his Message.

He began in 1 Cor.6 of how some of the brethren were going before the law among the unjust against other Christian brethren, instead of their being able to settle their differences among themselves as Christ's body.

The Greek word for "lawful" involves the idea of having power over, and power to do. Paul said in 1 Timothy 1 that the law was made for the unrighteous and not for Christ's body. He was rebuking them for not showing that. He was not LITERALLY intending that all things are 'lawful' in the absolute sense for Christ's body, which is clear with what he said in those 1 Cor.6:9-11 verses above, and even in Gal.5 about those who walk by their flesh not inheriting the Kingdom.

This reveals that the law has not passed away, and that we as believers can bring ourselves back into bondage under the law by not walking by The Spirit. Refusing to forgive another's trespasses against us, and instead going to the law among the unjust is like walking by our flesh, and not by The Spirit. At the same time, our Lord Jesus and Paul covered what to do with an unrepentant brother that keeps doing trespass among Christ's body.

So really, Paul was not preaching that all things are literally lawful to us, but that Christ's body has been given power to be ascendent over the law by not doing things which bring the power of the law back over us. That was his message in Galatians 5 also; for doing the works of The Spirit, against such there is no law.

Well, overall there's a problem then... So when Paul said "All things are lawful" he didn't really mean that all things are lawful? Ok. Well. What's not lawful? Do you believe we can't ever sin? What it ultimately comes down to is that people believe some things are lawful as long as they aren't too bad. Homosexuality is out, murder, rape... Can't do that and I'm truly against those things. If you do those things you are a sinner. But when it comes to eating shrimp, wearing cotton and polyester together... Then we are not under the law? We aren't really sinners?

The problem comes down to people not knowing what repenting is or how to repent. I take it many of you believe that repenting means stop doing something. It doesn't. Throw all your strongs and hebrews dictionary at me. Doesn't matter.

For you folks who think you do not sin.... Don't bother reading anymore. Just live your life in your pretend world of not sinning. But if you repent from your sins, which ones did you repent from? All of them, or just the ones you knew you did? If you condemn Homosexuals and say they ain't worthy of being Christians, what about you? Have some arguements in your own mind, cause I don't want to know. But If you so much think of sinning, you are guilty of all. I have countless times proven that by scripture.

Yet there is a way to repent and take care of all sins -- past present and future -- so you don't have to do it but once. Otherwise, you aren't repenting from all your sins when God sees the end from the beginning.

I truly believe that some of you believe that Grace only covers past sins. Is that true? In order to be saved from future sins you must not do them. If you don't do them, you are not guilty? Is that what you believe? How is the death of Jesus different from that of bulls and bullocks then? The blood of bulls and bullocks took away past sins. Is not the human sacrifice of God himself enough? Well, sure.... It's enough to cover your sins. but it's not a liscence to sin. You view it as an insurance policy. "Whatever I can't do, God will cover". Liscense to sin versus insurance policy. God don't see my sins, but he insure yours.

Wow.... I hope my deductible doesn't go up! That is what Grace is to many of you.... Just an insurance policy.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
There is HUGE difference between committing a sin and 'living in sin'. Those living in sin are playing with Hell fire.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011

If the first sentence describes a fundamentalist the rest of your statement cannot unless the word "christianity" has been redefined.

They claim to be Fundamentalist Christians. so the word is claim ?
Just as old mate in Norway has claimed to be a Darwinist ? as on my TV they claimed him to be a Fundamentalist Christian.
Don't Mormons and Jehovah witnesses claim to be Christians to. but they are not in Christ at all.
Fundamentalist that call themselves Christians idolise a book just like Islam does as it's 'book'- centered; but true Christians are a 'person' - centered ? that is centered in Christ.
A book can only go so far and people can get tangled up in their own narrow minded simplistic interpretation of it.
We have all these new so called types of christian churches popping up every where now days and the one thing they mainly have in common is slandering the Catholic Church.
The fact is the Catholic Church is the only Christian Church and that's a fact and you can have protestant Catholics but that's were it ends. anything other is just naive.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Well, overall there's a problem then... So when Paul said "All things are lawful" he didn't really mean that all things are lawful? Ok. Well. What's not lawful? Do you believe we can't ever sin? What it ultimately comes down to is that people believe some things are lawful as long as they aren't too bad. Homosexuality is out, murder, rape... Can't do that and I'm truly against those things. If you do those things you are a sinner. But when it comes to eating shrimp, wearing cotton and polyester together... Then we are not under the law? We aren't really sinners?

The problem comes down to people not knowing what repenting is or how to repent. I take it many of you believe that repenting means stop doing something. It doesn't. Throw all your strongs and hebrews dictionary at me. Doesn't matter.

For you folks who think you do not sin.... Don't bother reading anymore. Just live your life in your pretend world of not sinning. But if you repent from your sins, which ones did you repent from? All of them, or just the ones you knew you did? If you condemn Homosexuals and say they ain't worthy of being Christians, what about you? Have some arguements in your own mind, cause I don't want to know. But If you so much think of sinning, you are guilty of all. I have countless times proven that by scripture.

Yet there is a way to repent and take care of all sins -- past present and future -- so you don't have to do it but once. Otherwise, you aren't repenting from all your sins when God sees the end from the beginning.

I truly believe that some of you believe that Grace only covers past sins. Is that true? In order to be saved from future sins you must not do them. If you don't do them, you are not guilty? Is that what you believe? How is the death of Jesus different from that of bulls and bullocks then? The blood of bulls and bullocks took away past sins. Is not the human sacrifice of God himself enough? Well, sure.... It's enough to cover your sins. but it's not a liscence to sin. You view it as an insurance policy. "Whatever I can't do, God will cover". Liscense to sin versus insurance policy. God don't see my sins, but he insure yours.

Wow.... I hope my deductible doesn't go up! That is what Grace is to many of you.... Just an insurance policy.

I don't think you want to me to really respond to all that, for a lot of it just isn't using common sense in God's Word.

Rom 3:24-25
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
(KJV)

There, now why don't you treat Paul's statement "for the remission of sins that are past" the same way you do with that all things being lawful passage.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the apostles and Christ had was the tanakh. (Torah, Prophets & Writings).
And did they proclaim thus the Kingdom of Yahweh ?
Did they set captives (of sin) free ?
Did they train others likewise (as Yeshua said - go and train disciples in all nations ) ?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
p.s. this is a very mixed up, and somewhat old thread.... yes....

p.p.s. how old is God's Word ... ?

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Revelation 11:19
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Study Bible

…18The nations were enraged, and Your wrath has come. The time has come to judge the dead, and to reward Your servants, the prophets and saints, and those who fear Your name, both small and great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth.” 19Then the temple of God in heaven was opened, and the ark of His covenant appeared in His temple. And there were flashes of lightning, and rumblings, and peals of thunder, and an earthquake, and a great hailstorm.
Berean Study Bible · Download

Revelation 11:19
And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.