Is the Sabbath a 'test of loyalty'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in timing. The Church is not separate from the children of Israel as God's people, but a continuation. Read Romans 11. Jesus is the Jew's Messiah and the gospel was preached by Jesus only to them. All the apostles and Paul were Jews. We Gentiles are grafted into the Jewish Church of God's people. Not all Israel believed and were broken off. And not all Gentiles have come into God's people either. The Church started on the Day of Pentecost when the New Covenant of the Holy Spirit came upon the Jews who already believed in Jesus. 3000 new Jewish converts happened that day.

The Sabbath day kept in the letter of the law was the sign of the Old Covenant with the Jews; in that you are correct. The sign of the New Covenant of the Spirit is the Cup of the New Covenant, 1 Corinthians 11:25. We are to keep the Spirit of the Sabbath. It is not ONLY a church era like the Millennium, but that is astute of you to recognize. What is the Spirit of the Sabbath called?
Paul argued that Gentile members of the body of Christ are not obligated to live Jewishly. Resting on the Seventh day is living Jewishly.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, you mean like the way folks allegorize Scripture making Jesus the "new Sabbath" which He is not?!

You're more fun than a barrel full of monkeys, Brother Ron!

There's no need to allegorize any basic doctrine. That's for spiritual growth instruction and prophecy.

All that needs to be done is take Scripture as it reads in Exodus 20 like all Christians did until Google started doing everybody's Bible study for them. ;)
Well as I do not do google for bible study, that is irrelavent to me.

I have read Ex. 20 sans google for 49 years. I read it in context and know that those ten commandments written in stone are a ministry of death as Paul said in corinthians.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen these Mitzvot lists. They are nothing like the magical "# 613" that folks get from Google.

No form of Rabbinical authority would validate the claim you make here, and no consensus has been reached regarding these explicit and implicit commands, of which almost none were given at Sinai.

It's just a number that no Christian knew about pre-Internet.

And there's no need to "carry forward" something that Jesus said would never fail to begin with. :)
Thats funny, I knew of the Mosaic laws and how many, long before I even owned a computer, never mind google.

Well teh ten instone which minister death are part and parcel of the 613. and they were given to Israel as a people alone. And ot teh gentile who chose to live in the land of Israel.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's laws were given to the Jews but are for the world. Saturday is still the Sabbath for sinners, because the Law is still in effect for transgressors who have not been freed from sin by and in Jesus.
I see no evidence that the world is obligated to live Jewishly. The world is obligated to live morally, but not Jewishly.
You are not REQUIRED to always be thinking about the Millennium. That is a CadyandZoe made letter of their law. Nor are you required to rest on Sunday. That again is a letter of someone's mind. Do so if you like, just as SDA can keep Saturday.
The Lord taught his disciples to pray, "thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." He also taught his disciples, "Seek first the kingdom of God" and the apostles taught them, "Keep your eyes on the things above." And I never said anyone was required to rest on Sunday.
But WE MUST KEEP THE SPIRIT OF THE SABBATH. What is it? Doesn't anyone know who belongs to man made denominations?
I need specific details to know if we agree on this point or not. I am not interested in pitting one denomination against another. I consider all followers of Jesus to be brothers and/or sisters in the Lord.

Perhaps it might be helpful to remind us of the following:

Colossians 3:1-3
Therefore, if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual rest means we ceasde form trying to work for salvation as the law required and rest in the finished work of Jesus at the cross.
Nope, that can easily be twisted and has been turned into a doctrine of demons.

Think about it more and what Jesus said.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see no evidence that the world is obligated to live Jewishly. The world is obligated to live morally, but not Jewishly.
The world does not work 7 days a week with no break. Labor laws came into effect because of the Sabbath.
The Lord taught his disciples to pray, "thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." He also taught his disciples, "Seek first the kingdom of God" and the apostles taught them, "Keep your eyes on the things above." And I never said anyone was required to rest on Sunday.
There are some denominations like the Amish who call Sunday, the Sabbath.
I need specific details to know if we agree on this point or not. I am not interested in pitting one denomination against another. I consider all followers of Jesus to be brothers and/or sisters in the Lord.

Perhaps it might be helpful to remind us of the following:

Colossians 3:1-3
Therefore, if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
You're getting close.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Barn, this is what I've been saying too. That's why I'm not in any man-made denomination. Sorry, not even yours. LOL
Thing is, Sis, I know we're speaking light-heartedly here, but I want as many people to know Jesus as fully as they can manage, regardless of which card they carry. In the new heavens and the new earth, there will be no Seventh-day Adventists (both the controversy over the Sabbath and the second advent of Christ will have then passed). I'm convicted it is the place for me right now, but I'm hoping and praying I don't have to be one much longer. Does that make sense?
This is why I always come to the defense of SDA's on forums, because even though you keep the letter of the law, and don't even know what the Spirit of the law is, at least you have a functioning conscience and can be saved!
This is very insightful, although just a hair inconsistent, if I might suggest.

Most Adventists, unfortunately, would be better served by a gentle rebuke than a defense.

Because the same Spirit that is 'of the law,' also does the saving! And thus the same resistance to the Spirit of the law resists the Spirit that saves. No one who persists in seeking to keep the letter of the law without yielding to the Spirit of that law will be saved!

Roger Morneau was a widely recognized Adventist celebrity of sorts who had early-in-life experience with Satanism. You might remember him. He popularized a story where he was privy to a meeting of Satan and his imps planning strategy against Christianity. One of the participants was reported to have brought up Adventism, upon which a fallen angel rose from his seat and abruptly said "Adventists cannot be deceived because they keep the 7th day Sabbath" which seemed to bring that topic of discussion to a quick enough conclusion.

This story was related to some similar accounts by Mrs. White and really took wing. Morneau likely never realized he had played right into the devil's hands, in a sense. In the mid to late 20th century, as I'm sure you can testify to, the church had a marked revival of ultra-conservativism spurred on by QOD and the Ford/Rhea Glacier View debacle. And Adventists, more than ever, reverted to a sense of complacency well-characterized by slogans/buzzwords like "we have the truth," etc., ad nauseum.

Non-Adventists will be quick to seize upon these admissions as justification for discounting Adventist doctrine.

But non-Adventists are doing the same thing with their own branding.

We can't escape the tendency we have to replace God's plan with our own.

It is the foundation of every false religion.

Israel was the steward of the very oracles of God.

Yet when the Messiah visited them, they crucified Him.

So we think that a proper understanding of methods or prophecies will keep us safe.

They will not...

A mental assent to the changing of times and laws and the imminence of Christ's second coming will not...

We must be born again.

And again

And again

And again

The Catholic must.

The anti-denominationalist must.

And everything in-between and beyond... must.

:musicn2:Trust and obey, 'cause there's no other way...:musicn2:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you agree with @Ronald Nolette definition that I found very helpful? In your view, is spiritual rest the cessation of seeking justification through works?
My reply to him is #127 But the answer is no. It is very incomplete.

Do either of you or Ron know WHY justification through works by our own power like the Jews did, didn't make anyone righteous? But faith without works is dead?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(both the controversy over the Sabbath and the second advent of Christ will have then passed).

Where is it written that there will be a "controversy over the Sabbath"? Remember, I would like to use Scripture when making a statement of belief. And I expect you are talking about the letter of the law.

What does this mean?

Romans 7:6
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My reply to him is #127 But the answer is no. It is very incomplete.

Do either of you or Ron know WHY justification through works by our own power like the Jews did, didn't make anyone righteous? But faith without works is dead?
Actually, according to Paul, Moses taught justification by faith. :)

It depends on what you mean by "works".

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what being born again is?

Quiz? Do you? Does that question offend you? Should I be offended? ;)

Why so many times?

Because so many folks think they have no more re-birthing left to do. And you can't get a perception of that by merely asking someone or observing their words and actions, even. The sin problem is so serious that words can barely describe it. God felt He had to use 3/4 million (at least, of the English ones) to get it across to us. Even in the best, apparently converted life of a person, the taint of selfish motives runs so deep and wide as to be abhorrent to God. One of my favorite quotes from C.D. Brooks is: "The problem with legalists is they don't take the law seriously enough!" Of course, he probably stole it from H.M.S. Richards, Sr. or D.A. Delafield.

I'm sure you are familiar with Last Generation Theology. I don't care much for labels—they are too readily transformed to bullseyes—but I believe it is true that just before the 2nd coming of Jesus those who are loyal to God will prefer death to sinning against Him, but to declare one's own self to be functionally free from sin at this time especially is precarious, at best.

Where is it written that there will be a "controversy over the Sabbath"? Remember, I would like to use Scripture when making a statement of belief.

It is a matter of established (non-Adventist) hermeneutics that prophecy is often interpreted symbolically. If you mean "Scripture only" then there is no need to make a statement of belief at all. Also, without any interpretation, systematic theology becomes irrelevant, to which I'm afraid I cannot agree, Sis.

And I expect you are talking about the letter of the law.

What does this mean?

Romans 7:6
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

It will be no surprise to you that we do not hold the same views on the juxtaposition between the words "letter" and "Spirit" in Romans 7:6, Sis. I do not believe that either precludes all utility of the other. This can be easily discerned from a careful study of the word "not" in Scripture. The Great Apostle uses the word "law" with such scope and versatility that to believe I could say for sure exactly what he means every time he uses it would be to virtually risk presumption. Did you ever notice that no one seems to ever want to fess up about any passage from his pen that they find particularly "hard to be understood?"

And that is the short version of that discussion. :stageright:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quiz? Do you? Does that question offend you? Should I be offended? ;)
I would not be offended seeing as how important it is to Jesus. So if I care about someone's salvation, I would care if they were born again of the Spirit or not. And in this case it has to do directly with the Spirit of the Sabbath. So if you are offended, why? What does it mean to you seeing as you keep the letter, and don't seem to know what keeping the Spirit of the Sabbath entails, though it is the most important thing in being a true Christian.
Because so many folks think they have no more re-birthing left to do. And you can't get a perception of that by merely asking someone or observing their words and actions, even. The sin problem is so serious that words can barely describe it. God felt He had to use 3/4 million (at least, of the English ones) to get it across to us. Even in the best, apparently converted life of a person, the taint of selfish motives runs so deep and wide as to be abhorrent to God. One of my favorite quotes from C.D. Brooks is: "The problem with legalists is they don't take the law seriously enough!" Of course, he probably stole it from H.M.S. Richards, Sr. or D.A. Delafield.

I'm sure you are familiar with Last Generation Theology. I don't care much for labels—they are too readily transformed to bullseyes—but I believe it is true that just before the 2nd coming of Jesus those who are loyal to God will prefer death to sinning against Him, but to declare one's own self to be functionally free from sin at this time especially is precarious, at best.
I think there is only a problem in semantics. No we are only born again of the Spirit once. Yes, there is a progression through the Spirit of the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. Romans 1:16-17

I haven't a clue what is Last Generation Theology. Is it a new denomination or something?

You said:" but I believe it is true that just before the 2nd coming of Jesus those who are loyal to God will prefer death to sinning against Him, but to declare one's own self to be functionally free from sin at this time especially is precarious, at best."

Barn are you saying that what is precarious right now is freedom from sin? I'm not sure if I understand what you meant, and why you said it.

It is a matter of established (non-Adventist) hermeneutics that prophecy is often interpreted symbolically. If you mean "Scripture only" then there is no need to make a statement of belief at all. Also, without any interpretation, systematic theology becomes irrelevant, to which I'm afraid I cannot agree, Sis.

Whatever our Christian belief, it must be based on Scripture.

It will be no surprise to you that we do not hold the same views on the juxtaposition between the words "letter" and "Spirit" in Romans 7:6, Sis. I do not believe that either precludes all utility of the other. This can be easily discerned from a careful study of the word "not" in Scripture. The Great Apostle uses the word "law" with such scope and versatility that to believe I could say for sure exactly what he means every time he uses it would be to virtually risk presumption. Did you ever notice that no one seems to ever want to fess up about any passage from his pen that they find particularly "hard to be understood?"

And that is the short version of that discussion. :stageright:
Barn, I just love the way you write. It is like fine prose! But I understand you to say you do NOT know what the Spirit of the Sabbath is. Is that correct?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, according to Paul, Moses taught justification by faith. :)

It depends on what you mean by "works".

It has to do with what Paul meant by works. He was talking against the physical works of Judaism, like circumcision, feast days, Sabbath days and years, and foods.

What does works mean to you and Ron? The reason why I said that what Ron said could be twisted is because of the notion that to stop morally sinning is a work, and we are not saved by not sinning. That would be a doctrine of demons. Because a born again Christian does not commit moral sins.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I was a very young lad, I've always found Linda Darnell to be just distractingly beautiful. I'm quite glad I never met her. I'm sure I would have made quite a fool of myself. :phew:

I would not be offended seeing as how important it is to Jesus.

Well, that is good to know! And I'm not being facetious, either.

So if I care about someone's salvation, I would care if they were born again of the Spirit or not.

That's also admirable. But I confess, I don't boil down soteriology to as many fine points as most folks around these parts do, Sis. So this might be a discussion all unto itself, but we'll see, okay?

And in this case it has to do directly with the Spirit of the Sabbath.

This point comes up a few times in your post, so we'll come back to it, if that's all right.

So if you are offended, why?

I seldom get offended, and this definitely isn't one of those times. :)

What does it mean to you

Not sure whether you mean new birth in the Spirit or Spirit of the Sabbath but bear with me.

seeing as you keep the letter, and don't seem to know what keeping the Spirit of the Sabbath entails,

I'm not sure how you can determine that I keep the letter. These things get over-complicated very easily for me.

And there's that SotS, again. Hold on.

though it is the most important thing in being a true Christian.

Getting there, Sis.

I think there is only a problem in semantics.

On the other hand, when folks invoke the "semantics" claim, I've found that something is often being over-simplified. It is not important for me to understand what keeping the 5th commandment involves for you. But it is extremely important for me to examine the way I treat my parents and other authority figures that God in His providence has put over me. The 5th commandment also enjoins upon me the necessity of taking great care in the way I relate to those who might have been entrusted by God to my care and responsibility. You might call this a sampling of the "Spirit Of Parental Honor," so to speak. For if we believe that he that offends in one point, is guilty of all, then they all must be of at least somewhat equal import. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

No we are only born again of the Spirit once.

Well, then, it might be to your dismay to learn that that has not been my experience, that I can recall.

My perception of my experience is that I pray once a day, especially, that God would forgive my sins of the previous day and change me so that I might not sin at all and that I might think, say, and do only those things that will tend to draw others closer to His Son, at least until I can make that daily request again. I pray determinedly at least twice a day, preferably more, besides incidental prayer.

Along the way of my walk with God, I have had watershed moments when it has been clear to me that God has made a distinct stride in my attachment to and understanding of His lovely character, especially in Christ.

But I have no recollection of a point at which I was suddenly aware of some profound once-in-a-lifetime connection to Him.

But I do have times when I am keenly aware of emerging and past situations of how patient He's been with me and how wonderful it is that while I was yet without strength, yet a sinner, nay, yet an enemy of God, His Son's life was given for me as though I were the only person who ever lived, and when he said "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," he especially meant me.

I can only hope this testimony doesn't disqualify me from God's grace, somehow.

Yes, there is a progression through the Spirit of the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith. Romans 1:16-17

I guess this is sort of addressed directly above, Sis.

I haven't a clue what is Last Generation Theology. Is it a new denomination or something?

No, it is a long-standing, somewhat controversial subset of Adventist doctrine.

You said:" but I believe it is true that just before the 2nd coming of Jesus those who are loyal to God will prefer death to sinning against Him, but to declare one's own self to be functionally free from sin at this time especially is precarious, at best."

Barn are you saying that what is precarious right now is freedom from sin? I'm not sure if I understand what you meant, and why you said it.
Not in the slightest. I was just briefly stating my own understanding of what I believe to be true regarding LGT.
Whatever our Christian belief, it must be based on Scripture.

Couldn't agree more, Sis! Now, define "based on"—a-a-and GO ;)

Barn, I just love the way you write. It is like fine prose!

Well, that's kind of you to say, Sis, but I really just want to be as unlikely as possible to be misunderstood. It's so hard nowadays, you know?

But I understand you to say you do NOT know what the Spirit of the Sabbath is. Is that correct?
I suspect that you understand correctly in some sense, at least. Because speaking of basing our beliefs on Scripture, I can find no direct connection between the Holy Spirit and the Sabbath therein.

I'm sure I'll get all kinds of heat for this from onlookers, but the only connections that come to mind at least immediately between the Holy Spirit and a specific commandment are of the 8th and the 9th in Acts 5.

In Hebrews 3 and 4 the rest of Canaan is definitely likened to the rest of the new heavens and earth and of the freedom from sin as found in Jesus but I've been exposed to the claim that the mention of the Sabbath in ch. 4 relegates the 4th commandment to some kind of abstract symbol, but I just don't find a preponderance of evidence from Scripture as a whole to support that theory.

I understand that some folks feel very strongly about this abstract Sabbath-keeping theory, but I cannot conscientiously surrender my view of the situation without better cause than that which I've heretofore been offered, and I've seen nothing novel in that respect for many, many years.

Your serve, Sis. :waves: