Is the Spirit Bad?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Spirit of God bad?

'Cause God is spirit and good, and even perfect. But here on these forums daily i am promoting God as being spirit, and us becoming like Him--and people who call themselves Christian, argue tooth and nail against the very idea, and anything and everything spiritual.

Surely, this is that war that exists between the flesh and the spirit.

It's absolutely absurd--God is spirit!

What were you thinking?

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can just hear the whinny feedback, saying, "weeeellll when you over spiritualize, it's not good."

Right!

Ready for the pearly gates are we??

Meanwhile, the most spiritual Being ever--God--is spirit. Go figure!

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't remember reading anyone's post where they claimed that God is not a spirit being (but I don't have the time to read all threads!). Can you point us to some examples?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

'Cause God is spirit and good, and even perfect. But here on these forum daily promoting God as being spirit, and us becoming like Him--people who call themselves Christian, argue tooth and nail against the very idea, and anything and everything spiritual.

What were you thinking?

The simple truth is Scott, Jehovah is either good or He is bad like his accusers have stated. Even among us Christians we would admit we likely would have done things differently. Some of His Kings actually did do things differently to other nations than what God commanded. We really haven't been given the opportunity at this time to make the full distinction. Honest ones will openly admit this world is far from perfect so therefore satan is not a just god, again I stress honest ones know that satan is not a righteous god, and cannot rule over us to our benefit.

Soon Jehovah is going to take the reigns however, He will send His forces to remove satan from the earth, and those who have sided with him. Then for the next millennium He will show the contrast of what He can do in just 1k yrs vs the 6k that man and satan have had. Ingenious really, because at the end of the millennium, satan will be released and you will be able to choose the God you support with the true evidence of the contrast between them. So what I am saying is this, you will be able to observe for yourself the righteousness of God without satanic influence. We pray for that Kingdom to come sir, and it will soon!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't remember reading anyone's post where they claimed that God is not a spirit being (but I don't have the time to read all threads!). Can you point us to some examples?
It's not that anyone is denying that God is spirit, but rather the idea that what is spiritual (like Him) is good. Many speak against the Spirit all day long here, even using "spiritualize" like it's a bad word.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simple truth is Scott, Jehovah is either good or He is bad like his accusers have stated. Even among us Christians we would admit we likely would have done things differently. Some of His Kings actually did do things differently to other nations than what God commanded. We really haven't been given the opportunity at this time to make the full distinction. Honest ones will openly admit this world is far from perfect so therefore satan is not a just god, again I stress honest ones know that satan is not a righteous god, and cannot rule over us to our benefit.

Soon Jehovah is going to take the reigns however, He will send His forces to remove satan from the earth, and those who have sided with him. Then for the next millennium He will show the contrast of what He can do in just 1k yrs vs the 6k that man and satan have had. Ingenious really, because at the end of the millennium, satan will be released and you will be able to choose the God you support with the true evidence of the contrast between them. So what I am saying is this, you will be able to observe for yourself the righteousness of God without satanic influence. We pray for that Kingdom to come sir, and it will soon!
It is obvious that your heart is in the right place with faith and hope in God.

However, even what you have written is a fulfillment according to the flesh and how we in the flesh might imagine those things to occur. That is as much the wall that separates us from God as many sins, that we do not look rather to the Spirit.

Nonetheless, indeed, He comes quickly.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

'Cause God is spirit and good, and even perfect. But here on these forums daily i am promoting God as being spirit, and us becoming like Him--and people who call themselves Christian, argue tooth and nail against the very idea, and anything and everything spiritual.

What were you thinking?

yes God is spirit and everywhere!

Penny catechism (teaching)

17. What is God?

God is the supreme Spirit, who alone exists of himself, and is infinite in all perfection.

21. Where is God?

God is everywhere.

22. Does God know and see all things?

God knows and sees all things, even our most secret thoughts.

23. Had God any body?

God has no body; he is a spirit.

24. Is there only one God?

There is only one God.

25. Are there three Persons in God?

There are three Persons in God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

26. Are these three Persons three Gods?

These three Persons are not three Gods: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all one and the same God.

27. What is the mystery of the Three Persons in one God called?

The mystery of the three Persons in one God is called the mystery of the Blessed Trinity.

28. What do you mean by a mystery?

By a mystery I mean a truth which is above reason, but revealed by God.

29. Is there any likeness to the Blessed Trinity in your soul?

There is this likeness to the Blessed Trinity in my soul: that as in one God there are three Persons, so in my one soul there are three powers.

30. Which are the three powers of your soul?

The three powers of my soul are my memory, my understanding, and my will.

The Second Article of the Creed

31. What is the second article of the Creed?

The second article of the Creed is, 'and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord'.

32. Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is God the Son, made man for us.

33. Is Jesus Christ truly God?

Jesus Christ is truly God.

34. Why is Jesus Christ truly God?

Jesus Christ is truly God because he has one and the same nature with God the Father.

35. Was Jesus Christ always God?

Jesus Christ was always God, born of the Father from all eternity.

36. Which Person of the Blessed Trinity is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity.

37. Is Jesus Christ truly man?

Jesus Christ is truly man.

38. Why is Jesus Christ truly man?

Jesus Christ is truly man because he has the nature of man, having a body and soul like ours.

39. Was Jesus Christ always man?

Jesus Christ was not always man. He has been man only from the time of his Incarnation.

40. What do you mean by the Incarnation?

I mean by the Incarnation that God the Son took to himself the nature of man: 'the Word was made Flesh'. (John 1:14)

41. How many natures are there in Jesus Christ?

There are two natures in Jesus Christ, the nature of God and the nature of man.

42. Is there only one Person in Jesus Christ?

There is only one Person in Jesus Christ, which is the Person of God the Son.

43. Why was God the Son made man?

God the Son was made man to redeem us from sin and hell, and to teach us the way to heaven.

44. What does the holy name Jesus mean?

The holy name Jesus means Saviour. (Matt. 1:21)

45. What does the name Christ mean?

The name Christ means Anointed.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes God is spirit and everywhere!

Penny catechism (teaching)

17. What is God?

God is the supreme Spirit, who alone exists of himself, and is infinite in all perfection.

21. Where is God?

God is everywhere.

22. Does God know and see all things?

God knows and sees all things, even our most secret thoughts.

23. Had God any body?

God has no body; he is a spirit.

24. Is there only one God?

There is only one God.

25. Are there three Persons in God?

There are three Persons in God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

26. Are these three Persons three Gods?

These three Persons are not three Gods: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all one and the same God.

27. What is the mystery of the Three Persons in one God called?

The mystery of the three Persons in one God is called the mystery of the Blessed Trinity.

28. What do you mean by a mystery?

By a mystery I mean a truth which is above reason, but revealed by God.

29. Is there any likeness to the Blessed Trinity in your soul?

There is this likeness to the Blessed Trinity in my soul: that as in one God there are three Persons, so in my one soul there are three powers.

30. Which are the three powers of your soul?

The three powers of my soul are my memory, my understanding, and my will.

The Second Article of the Creed

31. What is the second article of the Creed?

The second article of the Creed is, 'and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord'.

32. Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is God the Son, made man for us.

33. Is Jesus Christ truly God?

Jesus Christ is truly God.

34. Why is Jesus Christ truly God?

Jesus Christ is truly God because he has one and the same nature with God the Father.

35. Was Jesus Christ always God?

Jesus Christ was always God, born of the Father from all eternity.

36. Which Person of the Blessed Trinity is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity.

37. Is Jesus Christ truly man?

Jesus Christ is truly man.

38. Why is Jesus Christ truly man?

Jesus Christ is truly man because he has the nature of man, having a body and soul like ours.

39. Was Jesus Christ always man?

Jesus Christ was not always man. He has been man only from the time of his Incarnation.

40. What do you mean by the Incarnation?

I mean by the Incarnation that God the Son took to himself the nature of man: 'the Word was made Flesh'. (John 1:14)

41. How many natures are there in Jesus Christ?

There are two natures in Jesus Christ, the nature of God and the nature of man.

42. Is there only one Person in Jesus Christ?

There is only one Person in Jesus Christ, which is the Person of God the Son.

43. Why was God the Son made man?

God the Son was made man to redeem us from sin and hell, and to teach us the way to heaven.

44. What does the holy name Jesus mean?

The holy name Jesus means Saviour. (Matt. 1:21)

45. What does the name Christ mean?

The name Christ means Anointed.
So much for taking up your soapbox. But the point is that many in fighting against what is spiritual, fight against God.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is obvious that your heart is in the right place with faith and hope in God.

However, even what you have written is a fulfillment according to the flesh and how we in the flesh might imagine those things to occur. That is as much the wall that separates us from God as many sins, that we do not look rather to the Spirit.

Nonetheless, indeed, He comes quickly.
I just wish God's timetable was the same as ours, but think about that one fly that only lives 3 days. A thousand years to us is but one day to Him.

Reactions: ScottA

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:oops::rolleyes:

What were you thinking?

is the spirit bad?
Luke 9:55-56 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, You know not what manner of spirit you are of. [56] For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

I’m not sure it is relevant to your grievous of not being heard but …there was a time when I was doing things that I’m now ashamed of. Those things impacted everyone around me but at the time, if anyone would have tried to tell me all the wrong I was doing, I was deaf to anything said. Much like parents that try to warn their children of their behavior and what that behavior is going to get them…a lot of times they have to walk through it anyways, before they will ever agree. There is a saying doctor Phil use to say…I know :rolleyes: doctor Phil! …but there is a lot of truth to it “anyone forced against their will, is of the same opinion still” …the “is of the same opinion still” makes me think of when Christ told them they knew not what spirit they were of…scary thing is…in my need to be seen as right I don’t want to become the one saying: let us call down fire and destroy them. Mainly because I might become the one fighting against Christ who came not to destroy but to save.

You will have need of patience. Yes. My flesh becomes impatient. Thankfully I think, God helps in His Spirit is patient.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What were you thinking?
I haven't given this much thought. I think we all have spirits, don't we? In this world we have bodies attached to our spirits, it seems to me. In the world to come I would hope to have a body of some sort - I wouldn't want everything to be invisible - that would be very boring.
But what of God? Will we be able to see him? Will he live in the body of Jesus?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't given this much thought. I think we all have spirits, don't we? In this world we have bodies attached to our spirits, it seems to me. In the world to come I would hope to have a body of some sort - I wouldn't want everything to be invisible - that would be very boring.
But what of God? Will we be able to see him? Will he live in the body of Jesus?
Jesus said that "No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him." It is also written, "but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."

So, not seeing God is a matter of not seeing Him "as He is." Which is to say, when we do see Him as He is--"we shall see Him."

And that body that shall be--it too is greater, just as God is greater.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But here on these forums daily i am promoting God as being spirit, and us becoming like Him--and people who call themselves Christian, argue tooth and nail against the very idea, and anything and everything spiritual.
I'm not sure why, but I want to mention Matthew 5:3 (WEB):

(3) “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.​

I agee though that we should be becoming more and more like Jesus, and God.

Matthew 5:48 (TLV):
(48) Therefore be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.”​
James 1:4 (WEB):
(4) Let endurance have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.​
1 John 4:16 (WEB):
(16) We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.​