Is the story of Noah literal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the story of Noah literal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I’m not sure

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then you know limestone isn't volcanic and no matter how hard you pretend no limestone formed on Mt' St Hellens in 1982.
and so? any limestone there was most likely depositions both during and after the flood and uncovered by that carving action of the water.
No it doesn't.
Yes it does. without close photos or actual physical research, you are just spinning tales
"I am simply telling you that we have an eyewitness report of the breakup of the super continent. But you would prefer the testimony of men who were no there and did not see it over those who were! Given the extreme violence of the initial geologic activity of the flood,I could give you valid theories based on modern observation as to how a conitnent would break up and that teh drift would be faster initiallyu and then as inertia waned, would slow down."
I said that and stand by that! but the continents split
  1. Genesis 10:5
    By these were the isles of the Gentiles dividedin their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Genesis 10:25
    And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.
    No it starts with observations like elemental decay rate of distant supernovas, the rate of decay is in perfect step with how far away that nova is. There are literally hundreds of ways such decay is verifiable and it would just take a moment on Google to start finding out about them
    Wrong again. Radio decay is measured by the throwing of or certain materials at certain times as it decays from its most unstable element to its most stable element. Supernovaes may alter the rate of decay but it not useful in the radioactive decay measuring used for dating.

But pray tell how is the ejection of radioactive material from a supernova millions or billions ofl ight years away effective
Reference?
Let me show you!

there are many many more.
What has been found is a constant unbroken written record and no where did anyone ever mention anything about their civilization being destroyed by a flood. I really think they would have noticed.
As far as they know. Many time the supposed unbroken written record had to be adjusted with later finds. there are over 200 different flood accounts in the world today! The epic of gilgsmesh is the oldest next to Noahs account.
In medieval Europe the average woman did not marry until she was about 25 and had between 4 and 6 children. "Even through women may have conceived frequently, each pregnancy had no better than a 50% chance of going to term.” The mortality rate of those children was 50% by age 5. Ref: David Cressy Birth, Marriage, and Death in the Middle Ages Oxford University Press 1997

Weddings in the middle ages formed the groundwork for most of the modern wedding customs and traditions. Noble women typically married when they got to the age of 24 or older, compared to peasants who married at a younger age of 12 years. Overall, in Europe most people married by the time they reached 19 years.

these say your lack of access site say you are wrong. Nobles married at 24 or later but peasants married as young as 12!
Your math is horrible 3x6=18 but only half of those would be giving birth to the next generation so the next generation would 9 women giving birth to 54 children and then 26 women giving birth to the following generation. After 10 generations (the bible states that there were 10 generations between Noah and Abraham - i'm surprised you don't know this) you would end up with 14,215 women ready to give birth to the next generation and an equal number of men so a total of people 28,400 people by the time of Abraham.
My bad so let us slice this down by the halfs. and look at ten generations (from the flood to Babel which was 400 years

3X6+18/2=9
9x6=54/2= 27
27x6=163/2= 81.5 (82)
82x6=492/2= 246
246X6= 1476/2=738
738X6=4428/2=2214
2214X6=13284/2=6642
6642X6=39852/2=19926
19926X6=119556/2 =59778
59778X6 = 358668

so assuming that 6 children were born to women in each of forty years (remember girls married at puberty) the last generation when Abraham was born would have given birth to 358668 kids. Now coupled witrh all alive still itr could have easily been 1,000,000 +. and remember the bible shows that most familes had more than 6 children. and as wares and massive plagues were unknown at these times survival would have been high. God also most likely had something to do with population growth, He is God after all.

Yeah- it's mathematically possible. If you decide an average generation is 30 years (probably a bit longer than reality), that's 200 generations. A population starting with 2 that doubles every 30 years for 6000 years is 2^200. We probably wouldn't all fit on the planet if it were that simple. If you introduce factors like disease, inbreeding, injury, famine, etc... it's much less clear. That said- the world population was about 3 billion in 1960 and was about 6 billion in 2000, and you only need 33 generations to get to 8.6 billion by simple doubling.

Reactions: RLT63