Is The World Flat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Why are all other planets spheres and the earth is the only flat planet? You're not being revolutionary, you're being paranoid and delusional LOL Ya'll need to spend a little less time in your mothers basement watching youtube videos and get out in the world. LOL Submerging yourself in the "flat earth" propaganda makes it just as easy to be convinced as it would be to submerge yourself in atheist teachings. Spend enough time in any subject and you would believe any of it.

I have a challenge you can do with a camera. If you are correct in your theory, the entire universe revolves around earth. Take a camera and put it on long exposure and point it straight up. Let me know how the picture comes out. This one simple experiment will prove the whole theory wrong.
Kindly, cut the condescending crap! Once the negatives from your time-lapse camera experiment are finally developed, what still remains unresolved is whether the visual star trails are the result of a rotating earth or merely the stars in the firmament making circles around Polaris over a stationary earth? Since the exact same constellations mentioned in the Bible remain unchanged thousands of years later, I'd be inclined to believe the latter. (Job 9:9 Job 38:31) It's time to trust your senses instead of your indoctrination.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James Forthwright said:
Kindly, cut the condescending crap! Once the negatives from your time-lapse camera experiment are finally developed, what still remains unresolved is whether the visual star trails are the result of a rotating earth or merely the stars in the firmament making circles around Polaris over a stationary earth? Since the exact same constellations mentioned in the Bible remain unchanged thousands of years later, I'd be inclined to believe the latter. (Job 9:9 Job 38:31) It's time to trust your senses instead of your indoctrination.
That defies physics..... Trust my senses??? Your theory throws common sense and common knowledge out the window. But, whatever... If you want to buy that propaganda go right ahead LOL

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
That defies physics..... Trust my senses??? Your theory throws common sense and common knowledge out the window. But, whatever... If you want to buy that propaganda go right ahead LOL
His investiture into this fantasy is total and his cognitive dissonance will not allow him to see anything else. I personally think the best thing to do is close this thread down, but I'm not the OP.

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

https://cut2thetruth.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/why-we-know-the-earth-is-round-flat-earthers-debunked-exploring-science-ep-ii/

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Yes, Born_Again. Trust your God-given senses. Your senses tell you that you are stationary and motionless because you are. The Bible also confirms that it is the sun & moon which revolve around the earth. When the prophet Joshua prayed for more daylight to vanquish his enemies he spoke to the sun and commanded it to stop moving. (Jos. 10:12) Joshua didn't tell the earth to slow down. Don't you trust what the Bible says?

Bodies of water always seek a level plane and do not curve even in the slightest degrees. There is no observable/measurable curvature of the earth (and this has been proven with lasers and high magnification optics. Fluffy gaseous clouds lazily drift miles above us and are obviously not moving at 1000 mph. These are plain simple facts that defies your so-called "physics" of the globe earth model.

The same mostly atheistic "scientists" that tout the helio-centric solar system also tell us that mankind evolved from apes and everything we see about us is the result of some far distant chance cosmic explosion. Believe God's Word as well as your God-given senses.

All I'm asking is, for you to take a few days and investigate this Flat Earth phenomena for yourself before you drawn any conclusions.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
His investiture into this fantasy is total and his cognitive dissonance will not allow him to see anything else. I personally think the best thing to do is close this thread down, but I'm not the OP.

http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

https://cut2thetruth.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/why-we-know-the-earth-is-round-flat-earthers-debunked-exploring-science-ep-ii/
Hello Stan. Instead of pleading for the mods to terminate a thriving discussion, why not try rationally discussing this topic? You've posted some interesting links above. Why don't you pick two or three of your best points from those links and I'll gladly show you how you've been duped by the false lords of the lab coat scientific priesthood.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James Forthwright said:
Yes, Born_Again. Trust your God-given senses. Your senses tell you that you are stationary and motionless because you are. The Bible also confirms that it is the sun & moon which revolve around the earth. When the prophet Joshua prayed for more daylight to vanquish his enemies he spoke to the sun and commanded it to stop moving. (Jos. 10:12) Joshua didn't tell the earth to slow down. Don't you trust what the Bible says?

Bodies of water always seek a level plane and do not curve even in the slightest degrees. There is no observable/measurable curvature of the earth (and this has been proven with lasers and high magnification optics. Fluffy gaseous clouds lazily drift miles above us and are obviously not moving at 1000 mph. These are plain simple facts that defies your so-called "physics" of the globe earth model.

The same mostly atheistic "scientists" that tout the helio-centric solar system also tell us that mankind evolved from apes and everything we see about us is the result of some far distant chance cosmic explosion. Believe God's Word as well as your God-given senses.

All I'm asking is, for you to take a few days and investigate this Flat Earth phenomena for yourself before you drawn any conclusions.
I have investigated it. This is not my first time around the block with the whole "flat earth" theory. And it is just that... A "theory". Simply because unless you go into space and see for yourself, you cant truly know.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
I have investigated it. This is not my first time around the block with the whole "flat earth" theory. And it is just that... A "theory". Simply because unless you go into space and see for yourself, you cant truly know.
Nonsense. For thousands of years scholars from numerous cultures believed in a geo-centric (Flat Earth) solar system. Despite popular opinion, it is my contention that it is helio-centrism that qualifies as the real un-proven “theory”. Earth’s flatness is readily observed, especially over large bodies of water.

If the earth was a ball with a circumference of 125,000 miles (as is widely stated by scientists) there should be over a dozen different ways, right here on earth, to verify that claim. All I see from your vantage point proffered in way of support is lots of admittedly visually stunning CGI images, distorted fish-eye lens photos, tall tales of Hollywood science fiction and NASA’s state-of-the-art blue screen videos mostly taken from indoor pools or supposed low-earth orbit. The Apollo moon missions were fraudulent.

Born_Again said:
Sometimes our knowledge, even so-called common sense, can be misguided. As Christians, our ultimate guide should be the Word of God.

Rom_3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
Was Joshua mistaken when he commanded the sun to stand still? I would appreciate it if you would answer my questions (as I will yours).
You asked:

Born_Again, on 10 Oct 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:
Why are all other planets spheres and the earth is the only flat planet?

Good question! First of all, God is omnipotent. He can pretty much do as He pleases with His Creation. In spite of what Carl Sagan and the astronomical prognosticators tell us, maybe the Earth is a very special place in the cosmos? God did send His Son to be born/live/die/ be resurrected and eventually rule here for a thousand years.

The Book of Revelation states that the New Jerusalem will descend out of heaven and is apparently cube-shaped, i.e., flat on all six sides (Rev. 21:10-16). So God does have other divine designs besides spheres.

You also stated:
"Submerging yourself in the "flat earth" propaganda makes it just as easy to be convinced as it would be to submerge yourself in atheist teachings. Spend enough time in any subject and you would believe any of it."

I have also taken the time to carefully study the opposing viewpoint. When put to the test, I’ve found that the globe model repeatedly fails to be substantiated either empirically or scripturally. As this thread demonstrates pro-globalists are also reticent to engage in a meaningful debate. They are long on personal insults and logical fallacies like "appeal to authority" and sparse on facts and supplying genuine supportive evidence.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
Hello Stan. Instead of pleading for the mods to terminate a thriving discussion, why not try rationally discussing this topic? You've posted some interesting links above. Why don't you pick two or three of your best points from those links and I'll gladly show you how you've been duped by the false lords of the lab coat scientific priesthood.
I cannot possibly have a rational discussion with an irrational person. If you were rational you would believe your own eyes, based on the actual evidence from space, that the Earth is a sphere.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though this is not my thread to moderate, I currently dont see the need to close it. As long as tempers stay down and it stays a healthy debate, it can remain open. That being said, the mods who do monitor this thread may feel different.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
Though this is not my thread to moderate, I currently dont see the need to close it. As long as tempers stay down and it stays a healthy debate, it can remain open. That being said, the mods who do monitor this thread may feel different.
Well as Angelina started it, maybe she can end it?

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll ask again. Was Joshua mistaken when he commanded the sun to stand still instead of the earth to slow down?
Joshua 10:12-13

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I cannot possibly have a rational discussion with an irrational person. If you were rational you would believe your own eyes, based on the actual evidence from space, that the Earth is a sphere.
You are basing your view solely on contrived CGI rendered images? My eyes always show that the horizon is always completely flat.

When challenged only ONE of the so-called Apollo mission astronauts would dare to put there hand on a Bible and swear they walked on the moon. That should set off a few alarms in your mind.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
You are basing your view solely on contrived CGI rendered images? My eyes always show that the horizon is always completely flat.

When challenged only ONE of the so-called Apollo mission astronauts would dare to put there hand on a Bible and swear they walked on the moon. That should set off a few alarms in your mind.
Prove it.

Do you really think that swearing on the Bible was going to make somebody tell the truth? Witnesses in court swear on the Bible all the time and many of them lie. Armstrong didn't swear on the Bible because he couldn't stand the guy that asked him to do it had nothing to do with whether or not it was true as far as I'm concerned if you don't believe a person who actually was there and there's nothing in the world that will change your mind and you are totally deluded.
Apparently you wouldn't believe Armstrong even if he did swear on the Bible because you don't believe Cernan, who did swear on a Bible to it being real.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan says (all things in Blue):

Prove it.

OK, I'm up for a challenge.

Do you really think that swearing on the Bible was going to make somebody tell the truth? Witnesses in court swear on the Bible all the time and many of them lie.

You have such a profound gift for stating the obvious, Stan. Those who regularly speak the truth might relish the opportunity to validate their testimony by swearing on the Bible.

Armstrong didn't swear on the Bible because he couldn't stand the guy that asked him to do it had nothing to do with whether or not it was true.

Maybe, maybe not. It might also be that Neil Armstrong's distaste stemmed from the interviewer (Bart Sibrel) putting him in a very awkward situation. Those living in deceit will also often react in an antagonistic manner when threatened with exposure.

As far as I'm concerned if you don't believe a person who actually was there and there's nothing in the world that will change your mind and you are totally deluded.

Apparently you wouldn't believe Armstrong even if he did swear on the Bible because you don't believe Cernan, who did swear on a Bible to it being real.

I would base my decision of the veracity of the person as if I was a juror at a trial, i.e., is there a reasonable doubt, or a preponderance of evidence that disproves their sworn testimony. Bearing false witness is a direct trespass against the Ninth Commandment and such oaths on the Bible should never be taken lightly.

The video journalist, Bart Sibrel also offered $5,000 to Neil Armstrong to give to any charity he wished if he would swear on the Bible and Mr. Armstrong still refused. If, as you claim, Neil Armstrong disliked Bart Sibrel so much why wouldn't he take the fool's money and make him pay for his ignorant behavior?

Many of these astronauts are Freemasons and their true allegiance is not to the God of the Bible.

Just to show you I'm not above admitting when I'm wrong, after further review, there were actually three of the nine astronauts that swore on the Bible that they went to the moon.

Edgar Mitchell was the first astronaut. Though he went on to state that he "doesn't accept the Bible as the gospel of anything but an historical record." Later, Alan Bean and Eugene Cernan also swear on the Bible.

Astronauts Gone Wild
Buzz Aldrin, Ed Mitchell, Alan Bean, William Anders, Eugene Cernan, Alfred Worden, Michael Collins, Neil Armstrong and John Young
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr6Vcvl0OeU

Apollo 11 Post Flight Press Conference
Pay careful attention to the astronauts demeanor and body language at this monumental press conference:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZX3mW7Du4

This is a must-see video from Bart Sibrel of never before released Apollo 11 footage demonstrating the visual effects trickery employed by the astronauts to make it appear they were halfway to the moon:
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon
www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_4270368879&feature=iv&src_vid=SSZX3mW7Du4&v=xciCJfbTvE4

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those who regularly speak the truth don't need a Bible. Luke 20:21

Bart Sibrel is a joke and definitely not a Christian. I've dealt with him personally on this matter with Armstrong and he is unrepentant and all he does is self serving. Bean and Mitchell also took the oath but your to blind to believe anyone who tells the truth. Are you related to Sibrel or are you Sibrel? John 8:32

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Nothing should be safe from criticism in general, so that all beliefs should stand or fall by their own merits.

However I believe we have entertained this flat earth belief long enough. Can we close this topic now?

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who regularly speak the truth don't need a Bible. Luke 20:21

Though you present yourself as a "life long Bible student" and some sort of competent instructor of the Word of God here on Christianityboard.com, there is apparently no limit to the superficiality of your scriptural knowledge. You have the temerity to use a solitary scriptural passage directly quoting the corrupt and hypocritical false teachers and religious spies who diabolically plotted to impugn and kill Christ. And you use THAT as a proof text! Absolutely pathetic. . .

Elementary level Bible students know that scriptures should always be used and taken in context.

Luk 20:19 And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.
Luk 20:20 And they watched him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the governor.
Luk 20:21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly:
Luk 20:22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?
Luk 20:23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me?

In order to bolster your argument in favor of the Apollo mission astronauts you pick a quote from an even more malicious group of liers and deceivers. SMH Though precisely what these instigators said to Jesus was, true their blatant hypocrisy and pernicious intent of entrapment completely nullify using their words as proof texts for judging veracity.

Bart Sibrel is a joke and definitely not a Christian. I've dealt with him personally on this matter with Armstrong and he is unrepentant and all he does is self serving.

On what, exactly, do you base your evaluation of Mr. Sibrel's relationship to Christ Jesus? He does have several videos on his web site with prominent Christian themes. Just because you happen to disagree with someone on a very controversial issue gives you no right to sit in judgment of their eternal destiny.

Bean and Mitchell also took the oath but your [sic] to [sic] blind to believe anyone who tells the truth.

As I previously stated, it's not just about someone refusing to or willingness to swear a biblical oath (but six of the nine astronauts refused). I base my assessment of someone's veracity on the totality of the evidence presented. It's been 47 years since Apollo 11, and NASA has yet, even with the latest developments in 21st Century technology, been capable of putting a human being above "low earth orbit". With the release of Mr. Sibrel's revealing "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon" video, and the fact that NASA has now admitted to conveniently losing the Apollo mission's telemetry data files, I believe I can plainly say that the astronaut's testimony is highly suspect at best.

Are you related to Sibrel or are you Sibrel?

No and no. I'm just another follower of Christ Jesus and Bible believer who enjoys a spirited debate.

In an attempt to get this discussion back on track, I'd like to pose the same question to you:

Was Joshua mistaken when he commanded the Sun and Moon to stand still (instead of telling the earth to slow down)? (Jos. 10:12-14)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
Though you present yourself as a "life long Bible student" and some sort of competent instructor of the Word of God here on Christianityboard.com, there is apparently no limit to the superficiality of your scriptural knowledge. You have the temerity to use a solitary scriptural passage directly quoting the corrupt and hypocritical false teachers and religious spies who diabolically plotted to impugn and kill Christ. And you use THAT as a proof text! Absolutely pathetic. . .
Where they telling a lie or telling the truth?
James Forthwright said:
Elementary level Bible students know that scriptures should always be used and taken in context.
That's exactly right so maybe you should start looking at the context of scripture instead of what you want it to say.
James Forthwright said:
In order to bolster your argument in favor of the Apollo mission astronauts you pick a quote from an even more malicious group of liers and deceivers. SMH Though precisely what these instigators said to Jesus was, true their blatant hypocrisy and pernicious intent of entrapment completely nullify using their words as proof texts for judging veracity.
The veracity of the Bible is not in question here, only your's.
James Forthwright said:
On what, exactly, do you base your evaluation of Mr. Sibrel's relationship to Christ Jesus? He does have several videos on his web site with prominent Christian themes. Just because you happen to disagree with someone on a very controversial issue gives you no right to sit in judgment of their eternal destiny.
A correspondent with him quite frequently on a few occasions. We are called to test the spirits for a reason so that we don't waste our time with foolishness.
James Forthwright said:
As I previously stated, it's not just about someone refusing to or willingness to swear a biblical oath (but six of the nine astronauts refused). I base my assessment of someone's veracity on the totality of the evidence presented. It's been 47 years since Apollo 11, and NASA has yet, even with the latest developments in 21st Century technology, been capable of putting a human being above "low earth orbit". With the release of Mr. Sibrel's revealing "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon" video, and the fact that NASA has now admitted to conveniently losing the Apollo mission's telemetry data files, I believe I can plainly say that the astronaut's testimony is highly suspect at best.
If it's not about swearing on the Bible then why bring it up? Obviously you wouldn't believe anybody whether they swear on the Bible or not? That just makes you disingenuous.
James Forthwright said:
No and no. I'm just another follower of Christ Jesus and Bible believer who enjoys a spirited debate.
It would be impossible for us to verify any of this.
James Forthwright said:
In an attempt to get this discussion back on track, I'd like to pose the same question to you:
Was Joshua mistaken when he commanded the Sun and Moon to stand still (instead of telling the earth to slow down)? (Jos. 10:12-14)
Obviously as they both stopped moving, he was not mistaken. What Joshua understood at that point in time only God knows, but that didn't prevent God from answering his prayer in the affirmative.
Now you tell me, is everything we observe from the earth spherical or flat, or do you not believe in the ability of space telescopes to actually depict what is there?

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan states: (Regarding my identity) It would be impossible for us to verify any of this.

With the exception of spacecraft breaking through the Firmament, very few things are impossible these days. There's always Skype video conferencing or I could even offer you an invitation to meet at my home. What kind of libations do you enjoy? But take my word (for once) Stan, of the billions of humans on earth I AM NOT BART SIBREL nor I am related to or affiliated with him in any shape or form. Take a chill pill will ya?

Obviously as they both stopped moving, he was not mistaken. What Joshua understood at that point in time only God knows, but that didn't prevent God from answering his prayer in the affirmative.

Joshua was specifically requesting for the Sun and Moon to stand still to extend the daylight hours so his armies could completely vanquish the Amorites in battle. Daylight on the globe earth model is determined by the rotation of the earth facing the sun it's NOT determined by the movement of the sun itself. So, if the earth is a globe your assumptions are wrong. What good would it do to have the sun stop moving on a globe? However, in the Flat Earth model it makes perfect sense. The sun and moon are much closer to the earth and they both move in circular paths directly above the stationary earth.

Now you tell me, is everything we observe from the earth spherical or flat?

From the earth's surface there is no observable or measurable curvature of the earth whatsoever and no matter what the elevation the horizon always appears at eye level . Therefore the earth is a flat plain.

or do you not believe in the ability of space telescopes to actually depict what is there?

Considering the view of the cosmos from the earth much of the pictures we are shown by observatories and NASA are mostly CGI cartoon renderings. Even IF(and that's a big IF) everything we observe in the Firmament was spherical in shape that does not confirm that the earth follows suit. A spherical moving earth IMO is nothing but pure scientific conjecture which is contrary to many scriptures affirming otherwise.

Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously. (Psa 96:10)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
James Forthwright said:
With the exception of spacecraft breaking through the Firmament, very few things are impossible these days. There's always Skype video conferencing or I could even offer you an invitation to meet at my home. What kind of libations do you enjoy? But take my word (for once) Stan, of the billions of humans on earth I AM NOT BART SIBREL nor I am related to or affiliated with him in any shape or form. Take a chill pill will ya?
So you have no problem with videos while Skyping but you have a problem with videos taken from any of the spacecraft that have been up in orbit around Earth over the past 40 years or so? Isn't that convenient! Sucks when your own strategy is used against you, doesn't it?
James Forthwright said:
Joshua was specifically requesting for the Sun and Moon to stand still to extend the daylight hours so his armies could completely vanquish the Amorites in battle. Daylight on the globe earth model is determined by the rotation of the earth facing the sun it's NOT determined by the movement of the sun itself. So, if the earth is a globe your assumptions are wrong. What good would it do to have the sun stop moving on a globe? However, in the Flat Earth model it makes perfect sense. The sun and moon are much closer to the earth and they both move in circular paths directly above the stationary earth.
All Joshua was concerned about was to that he had daylight. If I asked somebody to build me a watch, I don't care about how they do it and I don't need to understand it, to get a watch. God knew what Joshua wanted and gave it to him, he didn't have to take the time to explain the science to him, what you never would have understood anyway, pretty much the same way you don't understand science now.
James Forthwright said:
From the earth's surface there is no observable or measurable curvature of the earth whatsoever and no matter what the elevation the horizon always appears at eye level . Therefore the earth is a flat plain.
Not what I asked. When you look up in the sky and see the full moon, what shape is it?
James Forthwright said:
Considering the view of the cosmos from the earth much of the pictures we are shown by observatories and NASA are mostly CGI cartoon renderings. Even IF(and that's a big IF) everything we observe in the Firmament was spherical in shape that does not confirm that the earth follows suit. A spherical moving earth IMO is nothing but pure scientific conjecture which is contrary to many scriptures affirming otherwise.
Not what I asked. You seem to have a real hard time understanding simple questions. Telescopes are not computer graphics. Telescopes reflect what is actually in space. Do you even know what the firmament is? Have you ever looked through a telescope? Have you ever taken a flight in a plane? Did you look out the window? Have you ever seen God?

Status
Not open for further replies.