Is there a higher walk for believers in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16-18 KJV
16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

What does this part mean?

Much love!
They don't fit together

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are
and he lists them.

which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God
because they are still in their flesh and have no spirit.

But the fruit of the Spirit is
and then he lists them.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears she has fallen under the spell of Epi.. She thinks he is not in the flesh.. So I am worried sick about her
sie dark love of this world has and is taking many souls captive to a lie . SO LONG as they be under its influence
the WORSE they will get . TILL IN TIME they are so fully convinced , so very convinced
that the only way forward to peace n safety in this world , IS THE TOTAL RIDDANCE of all whom conformed not to its love , AKA ITS LIE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands. Romans 8 states "the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin..."
Romans 7:16-20 KJV
16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

It is no more I that do it, but sin that lives in me.

Paul stated this as his current reality.

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

and if you have any question. In the greek am chief is present, active indicative first person singular.

so did Paul contradict himself?
Paul is not talking about himself as man in Christ. He's referring to himself before Christ was even off the bottle. I could say the same thing today. That Jesus came to save sinners of whom I am the worse.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
— Ephesians 4:13

What I’m speaking of isn’t of being the bride, rather Paul is encouraging to be a Man in the body of Christ. What this man is is a perfect man,
UNITY OF THE FAITH , KNOWLEDGE OF THE SON OF GOD . That be JESUS CHRIST .
yet many preach this same line and use it to justify the social all inclusive love dead go spell .
WHICH honors rainbows and other religons too . SO MUCH FOR THE TRUE JESUS CHRIST
THEIR FAITH , THEIR UNITY , THEIR LOVE is in THE DRAGON who has used men like pope francis and scores of others
to promote a love that wont save ONE SOUL BUT WILL DAMN EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM TO PERIDTION .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*There is no pride in a man who has been brought down to the very depths of himself and saw how God saw him.
I think that's what it takes! We are so very good at wearing blinders, particularly where it concerns ourselves. When we learn to stop making excuses for ourselves, and just accept the disgusting truth . . . it's a start down the right path.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I agree

yet they are all sinners.

Just one are dead in their sin.

the other their body is dead because of sin, but their spirit is alive because of Jesus righteousness.

ie. a Saved sinner..
The New Testament epistles have words like "remission of sins" and "sins may be blotted out" and "the forgiveness of sins" and "wash away thy sins" and "whose sins are covered" and "impute sin" and "are dead to sin" and "condemned sin in the flesh" and "take away their sins" and "Christ died for our sins" and "purged our sins..." The book of Romans begins talking about Jews and Gentiles being both under sin and this should not be anything new to us since both are still broken without the spirit of God. And yet for some mysterious reason I live on a planet where many Christians think their flesh is justified by the deeds of the law even after the book of Romans tells us plainly that everyone except the Christian is under sin (Romans 3:20 says Jews and Gentiles).

Romans tell us "sin is not imputed when there is no law" and "that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." And then there's verse 7 with "For he that is dead is freed from sin." I never understood Romans 6 because I was taught that I was a sinner saved by grace. Let's look at what Romans is saying: Christ died unto sin once and now he lives unto God. How are we who are still alive going to be able to likewise reckon ourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God? It seems to me it must be done through Jesus Christ our Lord. It's not about us or our broken selves. It's him we must function in. Here's the verse "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

It appears both Catholic and Protestant churches do not teach that "sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." Nor do they teach "For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness." And so "Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness."
The verse in 2 Corinthians 5:21, is talking about the "righteousness of God in him." It's the "in him" that nobody seems to be able to understand. This whole thing functions "in him." It's in Christ and therefore in the new nature that is mentioned just a few verses above this in verse 17 where it says "new creature:" It's not that we do not sin in our old man nature. It's that we do not sin in the new man that we are told to put on. The churches have destroyed this idea by teaching we put on the new man by following the teachings of Jesus as we walk in our flesh. So this is a lost art.

In the book of Colossians, we read "putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:" We did not put it off. It was the circumcision of Christ. Two verses later we read "together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;..." Again, it's "in him" or "with him." I also want to get the book of Hebrews in here where we see Christ offered himself once "for this he did once" and not like the high priest who offered up the sacrifice daily. The Lord Christ "after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;..."

Peter has the same mindset as Paul when he writes in 1 Peter "that we, being dead to sins,..." Peter goes on to say that Christ suffered once for sins so as to bring us to God, and so this is why the Scripture reads "being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:" Again, the old man crucified and the new man put in its place. Peter again, "ceased from sin;..." Put that mindset on or as Peter writes "arm yourself likewise with the same mind:" Because he that has suffered in the flesh or was crucified in the flesh has put on the new man because the other one is dead. That new person "hath ceased from sin;..."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*It was while he was a believer but had not yet learned how to walk in the Spirit and the crisis came at he end of the chapter and into Romans 8.

Does it not bother you that your interpretation was not held by the disciples of the Apostles?
Are you suggesting that this passage was born from Paul's misunderstanding? And wouldn't it be more important to ask it the other Apostles themselves agreed?

Peter sure seemed to in his writings. But then, I see all of them having been inspired by the same Spirit, so there is no disagreement.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that's what it takes! We are so very good at wearing blinders, particularly where it concerns ourselves. When we learn to stop making excuses for ourselves, and just accept the disgusting truth . . . it's a start down the right path.

Much love!
rather odd though . how come the very many who sit under the love of acceptance for this dead end unity
SEEM to have no knowlege of their sin as even being evil . No knowledge at all
but rather in the name of what they think is love and tolerance seem to JUSTIFY AND HONOR THEIR SIN .
ME THINKS FOLKS FORGETS SATAN KNOWS HOW TO LIE TOO and USE WORDS TOO .

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:16-20 KJV
16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

It is no more I that do it, but sin that lives in me.

Paul stated this as his current reality.

Much love!
He did not. He's living out a history of himself speaking in a way that refers to himself before Christ got to him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is good except God does accept people in the weakness of their flesh....He's just not PLEASED with them. Without faith (real faith) it is impossible to PLEASE God.
Keep the context.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

God defined what He meant, only, you have to read the rest of the sentence and not just snip out one small part.

Believing in God's existance, and that He rewards them that diligently seek Him, this is what he meant. And you can be doing that in the weakness of living after the flesh.

Yep, even seemingly defeated Christians can please God by diligently seeking Him, believing that He is there, and will reward them for in doing so.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Keep the context.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

God defined what He meant, only, you have to read the rest of the sentence and not just snip out one small part.

Believing in God's existance, and that He rewards them that diligently seek Him, this is what he meant. And you can be doing that in the weakness of living after the flesh.

Yep, even seemingly defeated Christians can please God by diligently seeking Him, believing that He is there, and will reward them for in doing so.

Much love!
We can know we have pleased God when we are translated into the kingdom realm of the Spirit.

Col. 1:13 Who has delivered us from the power of darkness, and has translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is not talking about himself as man in Christ. He's referring to himself before Christ was even off the bottle. I could say the same thing today. That Jesus came to save sinners of whom I am the worse.
He said I AM
he did not say I Was

so your thinking is flawed..

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you suggesting that this passage was born from Paul's misunderstanding? And wouldn't it be more important to ask it the other Apostles themselves agreed?

Peter sure seemed to in his writings. But then, I see all of them having been inspired by the same Spirit, so there is no disagreement.

Much love!
The interpretation that Paul was speaking as the normal condition of a Christian, was not in the early church fathers that is to say, from the disciples of the Apostles. Paul was speaking as a convicted believer who was serving in the flesh is the interpretation of those who followed the teaching of Thesosis and your Reformed interpretation came in much later.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He has got me this far and I can't say it's because of my great awesome holiness, all I can say is is that he made me holy and he does require me to walk in that holiness
2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Here is one of those promises:

Hebrews 12:6-11 KJV
6) For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7) If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8) But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9) Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10) For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11) Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

He promises that if we are in fact His children, then He will in fact chasten us as needed, and it will work, it yields the fruit of righteousness, as we are made partakers of His holiness.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've found that confining my thinking to scriptural terminology is one key to not going astray. Taking my thoughts captive...to the obedience of Christ, to His word. I find that false doctrine is often a matter of extra-biblical terminology/concepts. Fine to use extra biblical terminology in a passing way to help the understanding, but not to set it in concrete and make a doctrine out of such.
I couldn't agree with you more than I do on this!! For me, the Bible defines what is the mind of Christ. To think according to the very words of Scripture is good in my estimation!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
6 And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Which means in Gods eyes he was seen as righteous even though in reality he was not righteous.. The legal term is called justified.
God accounted faith as though it were righteousness. Does that make God a pretender? Abraham was not being accounted righteous because he was righteous, he was accounted righteous because he believed what God said about his having a lot of descendants.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dishonesty. You edit my post the way you edit the bible...twisting as you go.
The blood of Jesus is the life of Jesus. We enter into heaven NOW by entering into Jesus and partaking of His life (blood) NOW . A dead religion is based on shed blood. A dead religion points to the cross. A living faith is crucified with Christ.
You stated these things, so you need to own that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying this topic is of the anti christ?

I understand some of what Epi preaches....not a lot of it in honesty...whose to say I’m not on a lower level of spiritual understanding ..he could well be on a much higher level of spiritual understanding than me....?.
Compare to the Scriptures, and hold to what they say. Trust in God to reveal these things to you. And follow the Scriptures.

Much love!

Reactions: Ritajanice
Status
Not open for further replies.