Is there a higher walk for believers in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He simply did not understand that there's no such thing as a Gentile Christian.
If you actually want to we can review the various passages, but it seems like you are wanting to take potshots and that does not interest me. I'm not in some game here with you, and I don't expect to prove, or feel the need to prove anything to.

If you want to have a serious and mature discussion, lead the way. Maybe ask a question, or maybe quote something I've written and give a direct reply.

The only thing I can really get as a response to what I wrote is that you seem to differ over having a flesh body.

Have you ever looked at every instance of both soma and sarx in the New Testament, to examine it's context and use? Some people tend to drain those words of their meaning when they appear in unexpected places.

When Paul wrote, for instance, I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, nothing good lives, some take "flesh" to mean "old sin nature", but then, that would make Paul's statement a tautology, why bother to write it?

Flesh, according to flesh, body, these have an extensive usage in the Bible, and it's consistent within itself. Soma is our actual body. Sarx is the fact that we are meat - muscle, bone, like that.

"We once knew Jesus according to flesh", is it that the Apostle once knew 'Jesus the sinner'? Of course not. This is the best thing I can recommend so that people can understand this. Do the word study. I'll be happy to help. But each needs to see this for them self. By the time you finish examining every instance, I think you will see this.

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they have no spirit if they are in the flesh. Now you can go ahead and say well, I'm a christian and I still have a body made of flesh. But the Bible does not talk like you do. And we are not trying to understand you when you talk. We are trying to understand the Bible when it talks.
Perhaps you need to relook at this Bible which you claimed to have completely learned?

Here's a place where Paul speaks in exactly this fashion.

2 Corinthians 10:2-3 KJV
2) But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

We walk in flesh - but we don't walk according to the flesh. Though we live in these flesh bodies, it's not as if we live after the manner of these flesh bodies.

If you are thinking that "flesh" refers to "sin nature", then you have Paul saying, though we live in the sin nature, we don't war according to the sin nature . . . I'm having a hard time seeing any sense in that.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He may have meant that his sins stacked higher than anyone other, not that he currently sinned more than any other. Personally, this is what I think he meant.

Much Love!
Paul dearly loved the brethren, I’m surprised any Christians would debate as to rather or not the spirit of God was in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you need to relook at this Bible which you claimed to have completely learned?

Here's a place where Paul speaks in exactly this fashion.

2 Corinthians 10:2-3 KJV
2) But I beseech you, that I may not be bold when I am present with that confidence, wherewith I think to be bold against some, which think of us as if we walked according to the flesh.
3) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

We walk in flesh - but we don't walk according to the flesh. Though we live in these flesh bodies, it's not as if we live after the manner of these flesh bodies.

If you are thinking that "flesh" refers to "sin nature", then you have Paul saying, though we live in the sin nature, we don't war according to the sin nature . . . I'm having a hard time seeing any sense in that.

Much love!
Like most words in the Bible they have many meanings and we need to know how to understand them in the context. In English we have different meanings for the word "bark" and so now I will be you.

So let's say there was a bark nearby and I wrote it down because the sound scared me. And on the next day I saw I could sit on a bark because there was a tree nearby. Now are you going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I think the tree bark can bark like a dog?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you’re perfect. You have no sin?

You can’t have it both ways

You can’t say you still sin, yet your not a sinner..
You are using words that are not in the Bible. It says sin. It does not say anything about perfect. Here read them for yourself and note the word "perfect" is not mentioned...

Romans 6
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

For he that is dead is freed from sin.

he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law,

Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

being made free from sin, and become servants to God,

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you actually want to we can review the various passages, but it seems like you are wanting to take potshots and that does not interest me. I'm not in some game here with you, and I don't expect to prove, or feel the need to prove anything to.

If you want to have a serious and mature discussion, lead the way. Maybe ask a question, or maybe quote something I've written and give a direct reply.

The only thing I can really get as a response to what I wrote is that you seem to differ over having a flesh body.

Have you ever looked at every instance of both soma and sarx in the New Testament, to examine it's context and use? Some people tend to drain those words of their meaning when they appear in unexpected places.

When Paul wrote, for instance, I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, nothing good lives, some take "flesh" to mean "old sin nature", but then, that would make Paul's statement a tautology, why bother to write it?

Flesh, according to flesh, body, these have an extensive usage in the Bible, and it's consistent within itself. Soma is our actual body. Sarx is the fact that we are meat - muscle, bone, like that.

"We once knew Jesus according to flesh", is it that the Apostle once knew 'Jesus the sinner'? Of course not. This is the best thing I can recommend so that people can understand this. Do the word study. I'll be happy to help. But each needs to see this for them self. By the time you finish examining every instance, I think you will see this.

Much love!
I don't know why you think I'm taking pop shots because I'm using this other post as an example on how to read the Bible. I have a flesh body. But when the Bible talks about the flesh it mostly can be seen from the context that it's referring to those without the spirit of Christ.

I like the NIV on 2 Corinthians 5:17

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just let me know when you want to get deeper into this.

Much love!
Why on earth would I want to go deeper about the body?

I live in this body, this used to be a body that housed a spirit that was spiritually dead...therefore in sin.that was my old nature was it not?......therefore my body followed its sinful nature did it not?

I now follow my new nature that is in Christ....once I became Born of the Spirit.

I’m still in the body, yet dead to sin....how can a Born Again continue to sin if they have Born Again of imperishable seed...?

It’s our spirit that needs to be Born Again not our body?

This body houses the Holy Spirit, because my spirit was Born Again, therefore free from sin.....this body has nothing to do with sin...as it’s dead to sin.

How can the Holy Spirit live in a spirit that is still in sin?

It’s our spirit that has received the new nature in Christ...not our body...our body just houses the Spirit?

We sinned in our old nature..so, how can we continue to sin in our new nature, ?

Our new nature is in the Spirit not in the flesh.

My sin is on Jesus he bore all of my sins, took them all upon himself...past, present and future .....the slate has been wiped clean and I am right before Almighty God.

The blood shed the death and resurrection of Jesus is what reconciles us back to God...we must be Born Again then all sins are forgiven...Born of the Spirit....the old nature lives no more, we have a new nature that new nature is in Christ..
We are Born Again in our spirit not our intellect.

A Born Again abideth in Him because they have been Born Again of imperishable seed that abideth and liveth forever.

That means the Holy Spirit liveth and abideth forever in our hearts/ spirit.

The Old Man of Sin is Dead and Gone​

“For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that our body of sin (our sinful nature) might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin.” Romans 6:6

1 John 3​

King James Version​

3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Last edited:

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then it sounds to me we are on the same page in this.

"it is no more I, but sin that lives in me", this is Paul explaining to a Christian who has not learned how to overcome sin, that sin no longer defines them, but remains in the flesh, after Paul himself has become a new creation. Is that right?

Much love!
Paul has sin remaining in his flesh? No. Romans 6:6 says the old man is dead. (He can come back to life though as we never reach a stage where it is possible to sin and stay in the Spirit)

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the Bible. It says sin. It does not say anything about perfect.
Matthew 5:48 - Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Romans 12:2
- And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Hebrews 10:14 - For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

James 3:2 - For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Luke 16:13 - No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Hebrews 2:10 - For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

2 Corinthians 7:1 - Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Romans 12:1-2 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Read More...)

James 1:25 - But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are using words that are not in the Bible. It says sin. It does not say anything about perfect. Here read them for yourself and note the word "perfect" is not mentioned...

Romans 6
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

For he that is dead is freed from sin.

he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law,

Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

being made free from sin, and become servants to God,

1 John 3 & 5
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin, for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.
So you excuse your sin

Perfect is to be without sin, Another term is righteous. Only God is Good (Jesus words not mine)
1 John speaks of habitual sin, it does not say they are without sin. John would not contradict himself. he made it clear. if we (he included himself) say we are without sin (present tense) we decieve ourself and there is no truth in us

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But your not in him 24/7

No one is.
Of course we’re in Christ...24/7 we have been Born Again of imperishable/incorruptible seed?

The Holy Spirit lives in our spirit/ heart....therefore he’s in us 24/7 it’s our old mindset that isn’t always in him 24/7

You can’t have 2 natures Living in our spirit can we?

Our old nature died, as soon as Spirit gives birth to spirit?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course we’re in Christ...24/7 we have been Born Again of imperishable/incorruptible seed?

The Holy Spirit lives in our spirit/ heart....therefore he’s in us 24/7 it’s our old mindset that isn’t always in him 24/7

You can’t have 2 natures Living in our spirit can we?

Our old nature died, as soon as Spirit gives birth to spirit?
So your perfect? You have no sin?

Positionally I am in him

Heb 10: 14 By one offering he perfected forever

conditionally I am in and out

Those who are being sanctified

I am justified forever.

I will be sanctified the rest of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.