Is there an importance to be founded when it comes to being humble, lowly?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word is Anavah

Its means " meek".

"the meek shall inherit the earth"

"esteem others as more important then you"

"servant's heart"

""rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. ""

"Like a SHEEP.... Jesus was led to the Slaughter"
No...Anavah is where you keep your anger in check...iow you don't sin in anger.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving others is about love. I define love by wanting what is good for someone. God defines what good is.

For instance, being a homosexual isn't good for someone, so I should encourage them not to give into homosexual things. Falling into false doctrine also isn't good for someone. Listening to Satan isn't good for someone. There are many things that aren't good for someone. Like being selfish.

Sharing your possessions with people promotes selflessness in self and is good for someone. Having God's spirit to have peace, love and joy are good for someone. So I try to encourage them in ways that invite God's spirit into their lives. Obeying the commandments is good for someone.

And that is how we love our brothers and sisters, by promoting good in words and actions.
Its all about faith and love, my dear friend. What I hate to do myself is measure mt standard of living compared to others, it causes me distress and misery. What is found to be important is to love your neighbor, because God loves your neighbor and perhaps they will be more curious to know about why you are the way your are, and it can lead to the conversation of following the way. So many people like to measure themselves on the standards of others investing in the flesh way over the spiritual which is base. Being lowly, looking out for others and their intrest, and i wouldnt care much to listen to a gay man talk about their sexual premises or a straight man having sex with his wife, i prefer to have other subject of conversations.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@JohnDB your other post made me decide to go look up humility, and which lead me to lowliness, which lead me to base. Not home plate, but base as in base on a baseball field. Its of little stature and of no reputation, Jesus made himself this way. Base only rises up so high, but stays exteremly low to the ground and while its profound to be noticed, it has no real reputation. Jesus did not have a great reputation nor did he desire that while in this life, he was lowly, humble, and meek with other defining charactetistics as well.

Reactions: JohnDB

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Was Christ speaking the truth or boasting or being humble?

What is the difference between humility and specking the truth?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its all about faith and love, my dear friend. What I hate to do myself is measure mt standard of living compared to others, it causes me distress and misery. What is found to be important is to love your neighbor, because God loves your neighbor and perhaps they will be more curious to know about why you are the way your are, and it can lead to the conversation of following the way. So many people like to measure themselves on the standards of others investing in the flesh way over the spiritual which is base. Being lowly, looking out for others and their intrest, and i wouldnt care much to listen to a gay man talk about their sexual premises or a straight man having sex with his wife, i prefer to have other subject of conversations.
Thanks MatthewG.

Just so you know I'm quite content with being on a disabled budget. It is of the lowest incomes one can have and still might survive without being homeless. But it is iffy. Yet I am content with it. And it is near to how the apostles lived, no rich or poor among them for they all had what they needed. And I have the basics. The Lord blesses me for it with love and peace in my soul and sometimes joy and happiness.

I have a friend that gets online and talks love a lot and it can be a little overwhelming to listen to and a distraction from the spirit somehow.

I'm not one of those people that has to talk Jesus with everyone I meet either. Most people I meet want to have a normal discussion. And that is perfectly fine. I think the important thing is that we show the example of Christ in our actions.

I do testify when led by the spirit to do so however, and that is good when it comes up.

And perhaps those are the ways that I show my humility before God.

Reactions: MatthewG

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@JohnDB your other post made me decide to go look up humility, and which lead me to lowliness, which lead me to base. Not home plate, but base as in base on a baseball field. Its of little stature and of no reputation, Jesus made himself this way. Base only rises up so high, but stays exteremly low to the ground and while its profound to be noticed, it has no real reputation. Jesus did not have a great reputation nor did he desire that while in this life, he was lowly, humble, and meek with other defining charactetistics as well.
Not to correct you MatthewG but Jesus did have a great reputation. He was considered a great prophet by the Jews later on, and all the multitudes followed him and sought him like children to a parent or doctor. And he taught them with great authority.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Was Christ speaking the truth or boasting or being humble?

What is the difference between humility and specking the truth?

Grail,

Your question reminds me of the whole passage of scripture you had shared;

“But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. And early in the morning He came again into the temple area, and all the people were coming to Him; and He sat down and began teaching them. Now the scribes and the Pharisees *brought a woman caught in the act of adultery, and after placing her in the center of the courtyard, they *said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?” Now they were saying this to test Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground. When they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Now when they heard this, they began leaving, one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman where she was, in the center of the courtyard. And straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on do not sin any longer.”]] Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; the one who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” So the Pharisees said to Him, “You are testifying about Yourself; Your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I am testifying about Myself, My testimony is true, because I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me. Even in your Law it has been written that the testimony of two people is true. I am He who testifies about Myself, and the Father who sent Me testifies about Me.” So they were saying to Him, “Where is Your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither Me nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also.” These words He spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple area; and no one arrested Him, because His hour had not yet come. Then He said again to them, “I am going away, and you will look for Me, and will die in your sin; where I am going, you cannot come.” So the Jews were saying, “Surely He will not kill Himself, will He, since He says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” And He was saying to them, “You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” Then they were saying to Him, “Who are You?” Jesus said to them, “What have I even been saying to you from the beginning? I have many things to say and to judge regarding you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I say to the world.” They did not realize that He was speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am, and I do nothing on My own, but I say these things as the Father instructed Me. And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.” As He said these things, many came to believe in Him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8‬:‭1‬-‭30‬ ‭NASB2020‬‬

Reactions: Grailhunter

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread. And conversation.
The false brethren tailor God's word to appease the congregation.
Isaiah chapter 30. Woe to a Obstinate nation.
30:9 to 30:11. Some people seek or listen to false preachers who tell them what they want to hear. Politicians do the same and lie.

John chapter 6:66 . Many disciples turned back, no longer followed him. Jesus told the truth. Some people Rejected it, and rejected Jesus. Jesus never sugar costed Gods word.
Some people enjoy being manipulated and lied to. They prefer to listen to false preachers.

Jesus will not tell people what they want to hear.
Whats the answer??
John chapter 3 . Jesus tells us people rather walk in darkness and not come to the light. Because they're deeds are evil.

Those who walk in darkness are following Satan. God won't interfere with people free will. God won't force anyone to love Him. Its every one choice who they choose to follow.
Jesus or satan.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread. And conversation.
The false brethren tailor God's word to appease the congregation.
Isaiah chapter 30. Woe to a Obstinate nation.
30:9 to 30:11. Some people seek or listen to false preachers who tell them what they want to hear. Politicians do the same and lie.

John chapter 6:66 . Many disciples turned back, no longer followed him. Jesus told the truth. Some people Rejected it, and rejected Jesus. Jesus never sugar costed Gods word.
Some people enjoy being manipulated and lied to. They prefer to listen to false preachers.

Jesus will not tell people what they want to hear.
Whats the answer??
John chapter 3 . Jesus tells us people rather walk in darkness and not come to the light. Because they're deeds are evil.

Those who walk in darkness are following Satan. God won't interfere with people free will. God won't force anyone to love Him. Its every one choice who they choose to follow.
Jesus or satan.
Idk if they are exactly following Satan? But following the ways of the world and just believing anything that a person may be told and accepting it as true and continue to do their own will rather than Gods will might be the problem. People should be encouraged to read the ancient book. Its for their own benefit to remove idols and things that are believed on through traditions passed down by the masses, or even grandma or grandpa. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: strepho