Is there salvation outside the Catholic Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Roman Catholicism, all marriages more distant than first-cousin marriages are allowed, and first-cousin marriages can be contracted with a dispensation. This was not always the case, however: the Catholic Church has gone through several phases in kinship prohibitions. At the dawn of Christianity in Roman times, marriages between first cousins were allowed. For example, Emperor Constantine, the first Christian Roman Emperor, married his children to the children of his half-brother. First and second cousin marriages were then banned at the Council of Agde in AD 506, though dispensations sometimes continued to be granted. By the 11th century, with the adoption of the so-called canon-law method of computing consanguinity, these proscriptions had been extended even to sixth cousins, including by marriage. But due to the many resulting difficulties in reckoning who was related to whom, they were relaxed back to third cousins at the Fourth Lateran Council in AD 1215. Pope Benedict XV reduced this to second cousins in 1917, and finally, the current law was enacted in 1983. In Catholicism, close relatives who have married unwittingly without a dispensation can receive an annulment.
Actually - YOU need to study your history.

Constantine remained a pagan until he was baptized - on hid DEATHBED.
He was anything BUT a "Christian" Emperor - and therefore, not bound by Christians law.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Giuliano
Having fun! I wrote a 1900 page book...before I started I took the advise of Paul Harvey and Zig Ziglar. You have to write at the 6th grade level unless you are only expect professors to buy your book. lol You are shooting over their heads, you need to lower your aim lol

But I do have a question for the Catholics....when you were in Catholic school did the nuns teach you the Infancy Gospels? They were mentioned a lot when I was in Catholic school.
Are you talking about the Infancy Narratives in the Gospels?
If so, yes. Why do you ask?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

In Guiliani's case - HE was ignorant of the fact that she was his 2nd cousin. If he felt that he has been duped or that the truth had not been revealed to him PRIOR to his marrying her - then a sacramental marriage NEVER took place. This would be perfect grounds for a Declaration of Nullity.

You have a LOT to learn about Catholic marriage. Marriage is a COVENANT to us - we take it seriously.
If a person enters into a marriage where they have not been made aware of the pother person's intent NOT to have children or that they are homosexual - or that they are related, etc. - then it is NOT a sacramental marriage.

As for your charge of a "feeble excuse" above - that's simply because you reject Scripture.
As I said - this were TEMPORARY pastoral commands - and NOT universal declarations of sin. If they were sin - then Paul NEVER would have later said it was okay to eat meat offered to idols . . .
Protestants came up with the idea of marriages as covenants. Now Catholics are parroting them?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I stated before - the Pope has never declared a sin, no longer a sin - and definitely NOT ex cathedra.
So, I'm not sure what you've getting at . . .
You seem to think you have the right to tell the Pope what he can and cannot say.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Protestants came up with the idea of marriages as covenants. Now Catholics are parroting them?
Not sure where you get off making that claim - but marriage has ALWAYS been a covenant - all the way back to the time of the Apostles.
That's about 1500 years BEFORE the world ever even HEARD of Protestants . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to think you have the right to tell the Pope what he can and cannot say.
No - I simply understand what YOU don't.
You keep making all sorts of wild claims that have NO basis in fact and try to pass them off as Catholic teaching.

You are out-matched . . .

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually - YOU need to study your history.

Constantine remained a pagan until he was baptized - on hid DEATHBED.
He was anything BUT a "Christian" Emperor - and therefore, not bound by Christians law.
Good try at trying to alter history; but he was a catechumen.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure where you get off making that claim - but marriage has ALWAYS been a covenant - all the way back to the time of the Apostles.
Covenants involve the spilling of blood. Do Christians sacrifice animals to get married? Do they cut themselves?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - I simply understand what YOU don't.
You keep making all sorts of wild claims that have NO basis in fact and try to pass them off as Catholic teaching.

You are out-matched . . .
Tell us all then why a Pope couldn't make any statement he wanted ex cathedra and make it binding?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Covenants involve the spilling of blood. Do Christians sacrifice animals to get married? Do they cut themselves?
WHERE do you get your bizarre information??
NOT all covenants involve blood.

God made a Covenant with Abraham.
WHOSE blood was spilled?

Since YOU said that Protestants invented marriage Covenants - WHOSE blood do YOU spill??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell us all then why a Pope couldn't make any statement he wanted ex cathedra and make it binding?
Because he is guided by the HOLY SPIRIT to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
And the Holy Spirit doesn't screw up . . .

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you talking about the Infancy Narratives in the Gospels?
If so, yes. Why do you ask?

lol When I was at Mary Queen of Peace I never heard the word narratives as applied to the Infancy Gospels. Lets see.... the The Infancy Gospel of James, The Infancy Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, The Infancy Gospel of Thomas, There is a Latin Infancy Gospel. Then on the internet I see no narratives according to this topic. Don't get me wrong, I am well use to people calling things by different names, by what they have been taught, so I have to speak with them at their level. We have people referencing to names like Jehovah and Jesus, when there is zero possibility of have any any "J" in the Bible. People believe what they are taught, few look for the truth...too much work.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are a tad to sure of yourself on that. Do you know were the concept of wedding ceremonies came from and where a lot the traditions came from? Do you know when the Church ruled that there needed to be a public ceremony? And it really had nothing to do with a covenant, but rather property.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHERE do you get your bizarre information??
NOT all covenants involve blood.

God made a Covenant with Abraham.
WHOSE blood was spilled?
Genesis 17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

It required at least one drop of blood.

Since YOU said that Protestants invented marriage Covenants - WHOSE blood do YOU spill??
I think that is a foolish idea, another Protestant invention.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol When I was at Mary Queen of Peace I never heard the word narratives. Lets see.... the The Infancy Gospel of James, The Infancy Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, The Infancy Gospel of Thomas, There is a Latin Infancy Gospel. Then on the internet I see no narratives according to this topic. Don't get me wrong, I am well use to people calling things by different names, by what they have been taught, so I have to speak with them at their level. We have people referencing to names like Jehovah and Jesus, when there is zero possibility of have any any "J" in the Bible. People believe what they are taught, few look for the truth...too much work.
Ahhhh - why didn't you just say "Pseudo-Gospels" or "Apocry[hal works"? I thought you meant the infancy narratives from the 3 Synoptic Gospels.

Probably the only one referenced would have been the Protoevangelium of James. This is where we get the name of Mary's mother (Anne).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahhhh - why didn't you just say "Pseudo-Gospels" or "Apocry[hal works"? I thought you meant the infancy narratives from the 3 Synoptic Gospels.

Probably the only one referenced would have been the Protoevangelium of James. This is where we get the name of Mary's mother (Anne).

Like I said...how many names can we call the same thing? lol

Reactions: GodsGrace

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a tad to sure of yourself on that. Do you know were the concept wedding ceremonies came from and where a lot the traditions came from? Do you know when the Church ruled that there needed to be a public ceremony? And it really had nothing to do with a covenant, but rather property.
Nice try.

Eph. 5:22-33 assures us that in Christ, marriage is a Covenant.