Is worrying a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
G3307 μερίζω (merízō): to apportion, to divide, to disunite

G3308 μέριμνα (mérimna) from 3307: the state of being concerned and preoccupied, through the idea of distraction

G3309 μεριμνάω (merimnáō) from 3308: worry, concern, preoccupy

G3309 appears many times in the NT.

NIV Matthew 6:

25 Therefore I tell you, do not worry <3309> about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.
The same Greek word is translated as "anxious" in English Standard Version

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
Luke 10:

41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried <3309> and upset about many things"
But then, the same Greek lexeme appears in 1 Corinthians 7:

32 I would like you to be free from concern <3309>. An unmarried man is **concerned ** <3309> about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord.
It is not a sin to concern <3309> about pleasing God.

33 But a married man is concerned <3309> about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned <3309> about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned <3309> about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband.
The English concept of worrying is not a good thing. The Greek original concept of G3309 is ambiguous. It could mean worry or concern. It could be a good thing.

Is worrying or anxiety a sin?

That depends on whether you are worrying negatively or are concerned positively about something.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
41zbM%2By3ocL._SL500_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

G3308 μέριμνα (mérimna) from 3307: the state of being concerned and preoccupied, through the idea of distraction

NIV Matthew 6:

Luke 10:

The English concept of worrying is not a good thing. The Greek original concept of G3309 is ambiguous. It could mean worry or concern. It could be a good thing.

That depends on whether you are worrying negatively or are concerned positively about something.
I w3ish you would answer this question I pose honestly and without rancor. What is the purpose of your posating and rarely post replies? do you fancy yourself someone who has come here to teach everyone without engaging?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NIV Matthew 6:

Luke 10:

We aren't supposed to worry, but I don't think it rises to the level of sin. I don't think the Lord wanted us to be paranoid about sin. There are certain very bad things we shouldn't do - this is sin. The Lord gave us Ten Commandments and two great commandments to follow. That should help us understand.