Is your tattoo faith based?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your tattoo faith based in its design?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I have a tattoo(s), but it/they are not faith based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have no tattoo

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No, but I would consider receiving a faith based tattoo design

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, but I'm surrently not sure what to think, whether I would get one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Look up this on youtube: tattoo age taki horitomo
Thanks for the tip!

So many ppl assume that getting tattooed is under Western norms; whereas among indigenous / Asian peoples the art was well established long before it took off and became really widespread in parlors in the West.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip!

So many ppl assume that getting tattooed is under Western norms; whereas among indigenous / Asian peoples the art was well established long before it took off and became really widespread in parlors in the West.

Did you know that in Japan tattooing is considered only for marking criminals? It was outlawed and was only underground.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...the guys with tattoos were the rough, rebellious types. ...
PS: Well, now apparently according to statistics in North America 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are female. So your observation was probably more accurate decades back, but there has been a sea change, I guess...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Did you know that in Japan tattooing is considered only for marking criminals? It was outlawed and was only underground.
I guess it varies from country to country. Having said that, I think the Japanese khoi fish is well established as a tattoo art form and not only for criminals. (Or do I mean Chinese khoi fish?)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: Well, now apparently according to statistics in North America 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are female. So your observation was probably more accurate decades back, but there has been a sea change, I guess...
I know. Females in this country seem to always follow males in their deviant, unhealthy behavior--like smoking.... ;)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know. Females in this country seem to always follow males in their deviant behavior--like smoking.... ;)
Interesting observation! Although on a different note also, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of the willingness of the young lady - actually a seemingly rather quiet and shy person but with an evident inner confidence - to be tattooed in this way.

So I myself wouldn't use the word deviant about the young lady that my wife and I talked to. (If this makes sense?)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting observation! Although on a different note also, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of the willingness of the young lady - actually a seemingly rather quiet and shy person but with an evident inner confidence - to be tattooed in this way.

So I myself wouldn't use the word deviant about the young lady that my wife and I talked to. (If this makes sense?)

I'm mostly joking with you! But that has been true about women....

I don't have a big problem with Christians getting tattoos as a witness. I know what the Old Testament says about it, but I don't believe that necessarily applies. I really haven't given it a whole lot of thought because I know that I'll never get one, so it's kind of a moot point to me in a way.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have a big problem with Christians getting tattoos as a witness.
A lot of Christians think similarly to you, as evidenced by the quote earlier in post #114 ("Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo." )

I really haven't given it a whole lot of thought because I know that I'll never get one...
You're exactly right not to get one since you've not given it a lot of thought; it really does require a lot of aforethought and planning, whether the ink is to be faith based or not. Even visits to look at parlor portfolios are strictly non committal, because it's unprofessional for artists to try to do a 'hard sell'. The young lady my wife and I talked to that I mentioned must indeed have definitely given it a lot of thought; there was an inner confidence there - though an outward shyness - which must have reflected a lot of planning and conviction to do it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does he ever express regret about his 6? or maybe they are so much part of him that you guys are completely accustomed to them.

Oh no, no regrets...When the gandchildren were young he'd make up stories about each one. They are all on his arms. A faded grey now.
He is turning 81 in a few weeks....we are both "pretty faded" now :D

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh no, no regrets...When the gandchildren were young he'd make up stories about each one. They are all on his arms. A faded grey now.
He is turning 81 in a few weeks....we are both "pretty faded" now :D
A lot of men - and women - do indeed have it done, without regrets.

I guess your grandchildren - if they eventually want any - will get theirs for entirely their own reasons, but I reckon they won't forget their grandfather's tattoos, or his various stories about them, either. :)

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I see that the Japanese artist on Youtube that you mentioned is based in the US.

Maybe his clientele would be different in Japan?

I saw a blog posting where a young woman visiting Japan advised other visitors to be careful about where they showed their tattoos.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that the Japanese artist on Youtube that you mentioned is based in the US.

Maybe his clientele would be different in Japan?

I saw a blog posting where a young woman visiting Japan advised other visitors to be careful about where they showed their tattoos.

Yes, you would think the Japanese would love their tatoos, but they don't. Just the opposite, even posting signs "No Tattoos"

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, you would think the Japanese would love their tatoos, but they don't. Just the opposite, even posting signs "No Tattoos"
Maybe this is why the artist that you mentioned is US-based.

In the blog I referred to, the young lady said she was tattooed and so had to check first of all whether a place she visited in Japan for a service would make an issue of it. I think that business owners in Japan would likely get to understand that now so many Western clients will probably be tattooed that it would not be in their business interests to turn them away; also, their tattooed Western clients would likely be unconnected with Japanese gangsters!

It's fair to say that 18 year olds now in the West when planning their first ink don't have to worry that they will be thought to be gangsters!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I recall, he brought over his mentor to the US from Japan.
Yes, thanks; it's really a matter of transposing the skills developed in Japan.

I think that some Japanese artists do have a certain amount of non-gangster trade among US service personnel, e.g., Okinawa. But business prospects would likely be greater in North America if they can make the move.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, thanks; it's really a matter of transposing the skills developed in Japan.

I think that some Japanese artists do have a certain amount of non-gangster trade among US service personnel, e.g., Okinawa. But business prospects would likely be greater in North America if they can make the move.

I don't know if it is still such a taboo in Japan, but it certainly was at one time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know if it is still such a taboo in Japan, but it certainly was at one time.
Maybe things are changing there also, like they have greatly changed in North America; at one time it was sailors and bikers who got tattoos in North America, but now young women but also huge numbers of more mature women do it confidently. Maybe the situation in Japan in more of a state of flux now, as regards who typically gets tattoos. I really don't know.