It is a bad idea but I think about it anyway

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it is a very bad idea, but I have often considered joining a monastery. I always wanted to get married but I know deep down that it will never happen and figured I might as well duck out of the modern world. I don't have anything holding me down anyway.

On one hand I want to live a holy life and try to get as much as a reward in Heaven as I can by doing so. On the other hand I enjoy media too much and have lusts.

I don't know much about living as a monk besides hard work, worship and silence.

What are your thoughts?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it is a very bad idea, but I have often considered joining a monastery. I always wanted to get married but I know deep down that it will never happen and figured I might as well duck out of the modern world. I don't have anything holding me down anyway.

On one hand I want to live a holy life and try to get as much as a reward in Heaven as I can by doing so. On the other hand I enjoy media too much and have lusts.

I don't know much about living as a monk besides hard work, worship and silence.

What are your thoughts?
Hi, if you wouldn’t mind;

Being obedient to the ‘I know it’s a bad idea’ is the obedience that pleases God…. For that is your inner witness speaking to you, for it is being obedient to one’s inner witness that earns one reward(s) in the next….

A thought….

Blessings, a fellow believer, Not me

NayborBear

Jan 21, 2020
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your thoughts?
If that is what you wish to do? What kind of monastery are you thinking of joining?
Catholic's and Jesuits are about the only Christian based ones I can think of.
Most all other denominations usually go to their prospectively sponsored Bible colleges or seminaries

Reactions: Nancy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your thoughts?
Believers are called to be His witnesses in this world and to share the gospel as His ambassadors. Its impossible to share the gospel with a lost world living in isolation.

hope this helps !!!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is what you wish to do? What kind of monastery are you thinking of joining?
Catholic's and Jesuits are about the only Christian based ones I can think of.
I was thinking of joining a Catholic monastery.

Believers are called to be His witnesses in this world and to share the gospel as His ambassadors. Its impossible to share the gospel with a lost world living in isolation.
I honestly wish I could spread the gospel but have absolutely no way of doing so anyway.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not really...
Whatever you do, do it devotionally to God. Do it from the heart...not just the mind. Pray hard...seek hard...cry out to God for direction. He is there. There is no point in making a major decision without a clear conviction about God's will on the matter.

You have to ask yourself..am I running away from God...or running to Him?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever you do, do it devotionally to God. Do it from the heart...not just the mind. Pray hard...seek hard...cry out to God for direction. He is there. There is no point in making a major decision without a clear conviction about God's will on the matter.

You have to ask yourself..am I running away from God...or running to Him?
See Isaiah 43:10 cf Mark 16:15, Acts 1:8

Witnessing is not an option.

hope this helps !!!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I know it is a very bad idea, but I have often considered joining a monastery.

What are your thoughts?

How old are you?

Can you live the rest of your life, without having a sex drive that is going to consume you because you didnt get a wife and allow her to give you what God would have a man and woman to enjoy, throughout their marriage?

See, the "Cult of Mary" forces men to abstain from Sex, and Paul teaches this as a "doctrine of Devils", because God does no require this, when the requirement to be a Pastor is..>"HUSBAND of one wife".
So the Catholic Cult dodged that by calling their Minister's "Priest", so that they can try to just abuse the word of God in this regard as well.

So, If you can live a LIFE of celibacy, and it not make you crazy with lust and torment then you are a candidate to be a Monk.

But otherwise you could do it, as long as its for a time, but not for a lifetime.

"Sabbatical" is the idea..

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See Isaiah 43:10 cf Mark 16:15, Acts 1:8

Witnessing is not an option.

hope this helps !!!
But I have no one to witness to or any way to reach anyone.

How old are you?
Can you live the rest of your life, without having a sex drive that is going to consume you because you didnt get a wife and allow her to give you what God would have a man and woman to enjoy, throughout their marriage?
I am celebate now and I do not see how it would be any different.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What are your thoughts?
No way. This is no path to God. If you want to be closer to God, ditch your devices and go live in the wilderness for a bit. Get in touch with yourself.

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

What are your thoughts?
Is the goal of your plan to help you to abstain from sinning (enjoying media and lusts)?

If you want to live a holy life and get as much reward in heaven, then your plan of being in monastery would not fulfill these desires.

Before you witness, have you considered your life first if it is truly pleasing the Lord? This is not to put judgment on you but it's a vital question we should ask ourselves. All the disciples of Jesus spent 3 years under his teaching before they were sent to spread the gospel on the day of Pentecost and they were filled with his Spirit. Moses waited 40 years before he was used by God to deliver the Israelites from the Egyptians.

And what does a monk do, I wonder? How do they serve God?

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your thoughts?
You are right. It is a bad idea. Your motivations for doing so are not that good - it sounds like a choice you are making and I don't even see God mentioned as a deciding factor. Based on what you are saying, it sounds more like an escape from this world instead of being in the world but not of it (greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world). There's nothing wrong with wanting to be with the Lord, but start by setting aside quiet Bible Reading and prayer. That's between you and the Lord. And then fellowship with other Christians for worship, praise and edification. Lastly you can go out and serve in His name. You don't have to become a great preacher or anything. Just someway help out and witness to your fellow man. You will eventually forget yourself and good works will flow.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is the goal of your plan to help you to abstain from sinning (enjoying media and lusts)?

If you want to live a holy life and get as much reward in heaven, then your plan of being in monastery would not fulfill these desires.

Before you witness, have you considered your life first if it is truly pleasing the Lord? This is not to put judgment on you but it's a vital question we should ask ourselves. All the disciples of Jesus spent 3 years under his teaching before they were sent to spread the gospel on the day of Pentecost and they were filled with his Spirit. Moses waited 40 years before he was used by God to deliver the Israelites from the Egyptians.

And what does a monk do, I wonder? How do they serve God?
Lust is a natural, enherent part of our being. Aslong as we are not harming anyone else, enjoy it. Although, it is a powerful emotion, so use it with care.