It is not in the bible.....but believed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
yes it does but only to those with eyes to see and ears to hear - so far this only excludes you ? - twinc
Only to those who want to see, It speaks nothing of teh sort. Like UFos and aliens,you need it to be because your churches doctrines demand it, who cares about the truth.??

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
so you think and would have us accept that Matt.16:19 applies to you - twinc

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
so you think and would have us accept that Matt.16:19 applies to you - twinc
You throwing mud into teh ring as well?? Eh.. What has what Jesus given to Pete4r got to do with me. or any one else for that matter, It was for Him alone.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
You throwing mud into teh ring as well?? Eh.. What has what Jesus given to Pete4r got to do with me. or any one else for that matter, It was for Him alone.

who says so - so we see you presume Matt.16:19 applies to you and Peter - this is ridiculous - twinc

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
who says so - so we see you presume Matt.16:19 applies to you and Peter - this is ridiculous - twinc
Im not so sure you can read, read what I wrote, seems you are in for an aruguement not a discussion. I said WHAT HAS IT TO DO WITH ME.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
it seems you are not even aware or prepared to grant that I can read - this also is ridiculous - please no more ridiculous statements mistaken as profound - twinc

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
it seems you are not even aware or prepared to grant that I can read - this also is ridiculous - please no more ridiculous statements mistaken as profound - twinc
Trolling is the word is it not. If you had read my other post your previous post would never have happened, would It.???

Now what was this topic about???

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
the topic was about 'not in the bible' just as trolling is 'not in the dictionary' - so why not roll and stroll home instead and come home now - twinc

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
That is exactly what I've been saying. Worrying about what is not in the Bible is of far less value than worrying about what is in the Bible.

but then that begs the question, is it wise to create a theology or doctrines on what is not in the bible?

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
I agree with you that it is of no consequence if she did have sex and other children, and in all likelihood she did.

But, there is nothing in the Bible that explicitly states that she did. The only evidence is the references to "Brothers" and "Sisters" which could mean that she had other children, or that Joseph had children from a previous marriage, or that these terms are being used figuratively to refer to Disciples.

I think given our human nature, the fact that she was living with Joseph who was her husband, that the jews who lived in the community viewed Jesus as having brothers and sisters, then we can pretty much be sure that she did have other children.

There was no contraception in those times...and a man could not spill his sperm on the ground, that was against the mosaic law. So its not likely that Joseph and Mary were lawbreakers. They would most certainly have been having sex and the result of sex always leads to children.

There is more evidence that she did, then did not

Joshua☩

May 9, 2017
Faith
Country
United States
but then that begs the question, is it wise to create a theology or doctrines on what is not in the bible?
No, of course not, that's what I was trying to say, but it works both ways. Some say that she was a perpetual virgin because the Bible never says that she had sex, others presume that she was not a perpetual virgin based on human nature and the typical understanding of marriage, but that is never stated in the Bible either.
My point, though I got kinda sidetracked for a while, was that either belief can be justified but neither has any meaningful impact on our salvation, so we should worry about what is in the Bible, rather than worrying about what is not.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
No, of course not, that's what I was trying to say, but it works both ways. Some say that she was a perpetual virgin because the Bible never says that she had sex, others presume that she was not a perpetual virgin based on human nature and the typical understanding of marriage, but that is never stated in the Bible either.
My point, though I got kinda sidetracked for a while, was that either belief can be justified but neither has any meaningful impact on our salvation, so we should worry about what is in the Bible, rather than worrying about what is not.

Yeah good point agreed.

When it comes to the bible, it seems to deliberately not state every little fact and my suspicion is that God deliberately had the bible written in such a way so that people would need his spirit to be able to understand it. Jesus said that we must 'keep on asking' God for wisdom and spirit.

Reactions: Joshua☩

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
okay then - lets try what is in the bible that Joseph was father to Jesus and as you have finally gathered the bible is written in such a way so that scripture is not for private interpretation but needs an interpretor and exactly who this and these interpretors are - twinc

Joshua☩

May 9, 2017
Faith
Country
United States
okay then - lets try what is in the bible that Joseph was father to Jesus and as you have finally gathered the bible is written in such a way so that scripture is not for private interpretation but needs an interpretor and exactly who this and these interpretors are - twinc
The Bible is quite clear that Joseph was not the father of Jesus; Joseph himself had a vision explaining how Mary came to be pregnant. It seems that Joseph did act as an earthly father figure to the Christ child, but Joseph was most certainly not his father.

The interperator is the Holy Spirit, which guides each believer into truth when studying the scriptures.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible is quite clear that Joseph was not the father of Jesus; Joseph himself had a vision explaining how Mary came to be pregnant. It seems that Joseph did act as an earthly father figure to the Christ child, but Joseph was most certainly not his father.

The interperator is the Holy Spirit, which guides each believer into truth when studying the scriptures.

The Holy Spirit seems to guide each believer into believing different things.

Joshua☩

May 9, 2017
Faith
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit seems to guide each believer into believing different things.
As do man-made institutions and biased Bible commentators. Why the Holy Spirit seems to work so differently through so many people is a mystery that as way beyond our human understanding. We can only trust that God is at work in all interpretations.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
As do man-made institutions and biased Bible commentators. Why the Holy Spirit seems to work so differently through so many people is a mystery that as way beyond our human understanding. We can only trust that God is at work in all interpretations.

I dont think it is the holy spirit which guides people in different directions. It is more likely to be a lack of holy spirit which leads people into different directions.

Reactions: Helen