It seems that "Hell" and "death" are two different things

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had been told that the definition of "Hell" was simply death. It seems that I was mistaken.

Revelation 1:18 KJV
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Although the Concordant Literal New Testament says it a little differently.

Revelation 1:18 CLNT
18 and the Living One: and I became dead, and lo! living am I for the eons of the eons. (Amen!) And I have the keys of death and of the unseen.

Revelation 1:18 in Young's Literal Translation resembles the KJV translation.

Revelation 1:18 YLT
18 and he who is living, and I did become dead, and, lo, I am living to the ages of the ages. Amen! and I have the keys of the hades and of the death.

Reactions: MatthewG

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had been told that the definition of "Hell" was simply death. It seems that I was mistaken.

Revelation 1:18 KJV
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Although the Concordant Literal New Testament says it a little differently.

Revelation 1:18 CLNT
18 and the Living One: and I became dead, and lo! living am I for the eons of the eons. (Amen!) And I have the keys of death and of the unseen.

Revelation 1:18 in Young's Literal Translation resembles the KJV translation.

Revelation 1:18 YLT
18 and he who is living, and I did become dead, and, lo, I am living to the ages of the ages. Amen! and I have the keys of the hades and of the death.
Actually, I think the word "death" in the Bible refers to suffering - hell. But not a permanent suffering.