It's LAZY to post a verse name/number without the actual verbiage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of y'all write these dissertations in which you want to advance a theological argument and you provide a plethora of verses that YOU expect the reader to look up rather than simply pasting the verbiage of the verses into your post. That is lazy.

It's one thing to say "Jesus told us to love one another" and another to say "We must (insert theology) and then provide "scriptures" in the following manner John 2:14, Luke 3:28-31, Deut, 8:16-19, etc., etc., etc.

Also, please STOP with the encyclopedia-length opening posts. Give us a short statement or question and provide a COMPLETE verse or two if you like and then expand on it thereafter. Many here provide a novel in their OP and then wonder why nobody responded. Here's a clue. People click on your post and are then turned off by its length and don't read, let alone respond.

You're welcome.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of y'all write these dissertations in which you want to advance a theological argument and you provide a plethora of verses that YOU expect the reader to look up rather than simply pasting the verbiage of the verses into your post. That is lazy.

It's one thing to say "Jesus told us to love one another" and another to say "We must (insert theology) and then provide "scriptures" in the following manner John 2:14, Luke 3:28-31, Deut, 8:16-19, etc., etc., etc.

Also, please STOP with the encyclopedia-length opening posts. Give us a short statement or question and provide a COMPLETE verse or two if you like and then expand on it thereafter. Many here provide a novel in their OP and then wonder why nobody responded. Here's a clue. People click on your post and are then turned off by its length and don't read, let alone respond.

You're welcome.
:jest:...Agreed!! And, thank you!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everybody is the same Patrick, imagine if God made everybody the same. Imagine if everybody agreed with everybody too, it would be terrible wouldn’t it?

There’s one thing many Christian believers can believe on that’s of one accord, it’s the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Many of one mind on that case to love your neighbor and of course, love God first.

Reactions: marks

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t think it’s lazy to just post verse references, it can challenge someone to do some study and reflect for themselves. It could be equally classed as lazy to want the whole verse there , so you don’t have to look it up !! ( works both ways )
I personally don’t like really long OP, I equally don’t like copying and pasting from the internet as it makes any study impersonal( just an opinion ) However it doesn’t give me the right to ‘ demand ‘ that another member doesn’t do that - it’s not ‘ my forum ‘ !!!
If an OP goes against the rules and exceeds a certain length, then I have right as a moderator to say something .

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could be equally classed as lazy to want the whole verse there , so you don’t have to look it up !! ( works both ways )

I believe the onus is upon the writer of an article (post) to make it easy for the multitude (hopefully) of readers to follow along. Why make 50 readers all go to the trouble of looking up verses when the writer could simply provide them in the first place? Writers shouldn't burden readers to "jump through hoops" to understand their message. I believe that one gets more participation when they "spoon-feed" their audience. :)

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the onus is upon the writer of an article (post) to make it easy for the multitude (hopefully) of readers to follow along. Why make 50 readers all go to the trouble of looking up verses when the writer could simply provide them in the first place? Writers shouldn't burden readers to "jump through hoops" to understand their message. I believe that one gets more participation when they "spoon-feed" their audience. :)
’ I believe ‘ is another way of stating your opinion and it doesn’t make it a universal bench mark.
We are all different and our expectations and preferences will vary. Personally I dislike loads of one line verses in a post as it doesn’t relay the context or Culture so one verse doesn’t always back up an argument or point. So I would always need to look up the verses anyway. I am not an infant, so I can feed myself !!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well . . . lots of times I find the verse doesn't say what they say it does.

So they can make whatever claims they want, and tack a reference next to it, and if someone doesn't know the verse, or doesn't look it up, then maybe they just go on as if they were making sense.

I agree, we should present our information fully, not abbreviated. Posting the passage shows the evidence of what we are stating.

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
’ I believe ‘ is another way of stating your opinion and it doesn’t make it a universal bench mark.
We are all different and our expectations and preferences will vary. Personally I dislike loads of one line verses in a post as it doesn’t relay the context or Culture so one verse doesn’t always back up an argument or point. So I would always need to look up the verses anyway. I am not an infant, so I can feed myself !!
AMEN

we should look up verses no matter what. Test the spirit of what someone is trying to use the verse to say

Reactions: MatthewG and Rita

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, try and be brief with Psalms 91. Its better to look it up than paste it . You have to take it as a whole and not just a part.

Reactions: MatthewG

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can’t be brilliant be brief.
You guys are on a roll! It is said that one who talks too much could be considered to be exaggerating (lying, really) a lot.
It can also be said the one who is not so talkative, with so many opinions, could be brilliant OR ignorant, hence the silence. So, either bored or ignorant OR overstimulated an yapping away without a breath in between, not so brilliant and a liar!!!
Whew, GET TO THE POINT ALREADY! Lol :jest:

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think it’s lazy to just post verse references, it can challenge someone to do some study and reflect for themselves. It could be equally classed as lazy to want the whole verse there , so you don’t have to look it up !! ( works both ways )
I personally don’t like really long OP, I equally don’t like copying and pasting from the internet as it makes any study impersonal( just an opinion ) However it doesn’t give me the right to ‘ demand ‘ that another member doesn’t do that - it’s not ‘ my forum ‘ !!!
If an OP goes against the rules and exceeds a certain length, then I have right as a moderator to say something .
Hey Reets!
I agree with you here. It DOES make you dig deeper when having to look up the verse in question, and the parallels verse's too.
It was convenient when we were able to just hover our cursor over the verses and it would pop right up but...I think I do like it better now. Bible Hub is always open on another browser. Sometimes I forget about the post and get lost in reading more of the chapter, lol...and that can NOT be a bad thing!!
xxx

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife and Rita

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While information can be given by any person.

When it comes down to personal attacks or a personal looks down at another person, that is not good at all.

It's all just information, to be considered. And just because people disagree, doesn't mean you have to go after them either.

There are so many different people on the internet, with many different understandings, and some people even believe they need to dominate; (im sure I am guilty of that), or they feel they need to 'dominate' over the faith of already a confessed believer.

What is the point; in believing people can judge other people over doctrine sometimes is just stupid.

I know I can make fool of myself when the sin of my flesh gets ahold of me.

It's wonderful to know none of us are the same, and everyone is allowed to express themselves.

Reactions: Rita

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Reets!
I agree with you here. It DOES make you dig deeper when having to look up the verse in question, and the parallels verse's too.
It was convenient when we were able to just hover our cursor over the verses and it would pop right up but...I think I do like it better now. Bible Hub is always open on another browser. Sometimes I forget about the post and get lost in reading more of the chapter, lol...and that can NOT be a bad thing!!
xxx

What I catch myself doing a lot is quoting without book/chapter/verse. That's how I did a lot of my memorization. Not many folks did memorize chapter and verse until a couple hundred years ago. At least, that seems to be the case from my reading of older commentaries. YMMV :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: MatthewG and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I catch myself doing a lot is quoting without book/chapter/verse. That's how I did a lot of my memorization. Not many folks did memorize chapter and verse until a couple hundred years ago. At least, that seems to be the case from my reading of older commentaries. YMMV :cool:
Your Mileage Might Vary? YMMV? Ok then, lol!
I am bad at the addresses (chapt. and verse) as I'm not good at all with numbers. Words and spelling come pretty easy to me tho. The KJV even though it is not the only version I use, but it is what I started with a loooong time ago and, it is easy to remember many verses because of how it is written in the "newer old" English, lol.