Its of Faith so to be of Grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 4:16

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Many will say that Faith/Believing isn't a work because they are contrasted with one another, e.g. Rom 4:5

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

So this seems to support the ideal that believing, a act that man does, isnt a work, but does it ? The fact is, there is a real contrast between believing and working, but its not because Faith/Believing isnt a work. The contrast is valid when we understand that believing, though an act/work man does, its not mans work, but Gods Work in us. Remember when Jesus said this Jn 6:29

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

You see that ? Jesus answer to their question wasn't to their sentiments, however the reply He gave reveals a great truth, that the believing on the name of the Son of God, is Gods Work in us . Yes believing on the Son is Gods Work, not ours. Its only when we understand that the act of Believing it takes to believe on Christ for all Salvation, isnt our own work out of the flesh, our own human faith by nature, but that its an act we do because its totally empowered by the Grace of God, the Spirit of God, Acts 18:27

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Then the contrast is valid !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its when we understand that to believe on Christ is not of ourselves, but given to us by Grace Phil 1:29

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

See that ? If its given unto you to believe, then its not of yourself, therefore its not your work, but Gods Jn 6:29

The word given charizomai means:

to give graciously, give freely, bestow

Also its made up from of the word charis which is translated grace 130 x in the NT

So thats why Paul wrote believers believed through or because of Grace Acts 18:27 and why he wrote in Rom 4:16

Therefore it is of faith[believing], that it might be by grace;

But if we say that our believing/faith is of ourselves, you default to a work salvation, and forfeit the contrast of believing and works !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So when we see scripture about believing e.g Rom 4:5

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Then we know that the believing here is the Work of God Jn 6:29, that its the Grace of God Acts 18:27, that it is given by Grace Phil 1:29 and that the believing is not of themselves, but the Gift of God Eph 2:8 !

Reactions: marks

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is, there is a real contrast between believing and working, but its not because Faith/Believing isnt a work. The contrast is valid when we understand that believing, though an act/work man does, its not mans work, but Gods Work in us. Remember when Jesus said this Jn 6:29
No, I think 'believing' is not a work in the sense that it justifies (while other works do not), not because it's something you don't do. 'Believing' is indeed something you do (with loads of God's help) but there's no boast of accomplishment or self righteousness attached to that work (Romans 3:27).

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I think 'believing' is not a work in the sense that it justifies (while other works do not), not because it's something you don't do. 'Believing' is indeed something you do (with loads of God's help) but there's no boast of accomplishment or self righteousness attached to that work (Romans 3:27).
It is a work, I just explained it to you.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 4:16

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Many will say that Faith/Believing isn't a work because they are contrasted with one another, e.g. Rom 4:5

So this seems to support the ideal that believing, a act that man does, isnt a work, but does it ? The fact is, there is a real contrast between believing and working, but its not because Faith/Believing isnt a work. The contrast is valid when we understand that believing, though an act/work man does, its not mans work, but Gods Work in us. Remember when Jesus said this Jn 6:29

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

You see that ? Jesus answer to their question wasn't to their sentiments, however the reply He gave reveals a great truth, that the believing on the name of the Son of God, is Gods Work in us . Yes believing on the Son is Gods Work, not ours. Its only when we understand that the act of Believing it takes to believe on Christ for all Salvation, isnt our own work out of the flesh, our own human faith by nature, but that its an act we do because its totally empowered by the Grace of God, the Spirit of God, Acts 18:27

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Then the contrast is valid !

you still must choose (volition) to believe

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This should be properly interpreted in context. Why did Christ say this? He was responding to this question: Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

The Jews of Christ's time had been taught by their religious leaders that they could merit eternal life (salvation) by good works. So when Christ said "This is the work of God" He could have meant one of two things: (a) salvation is the work of God and man cannot do anything to merit salvation, or (b) the only work which God expects is "no work" but simple faith in Christ. By no stretch of the imagination is "faith" (believing and trusting God and Christ) a work. According to Scripture it is "a non-work" (to coin a term).

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-righteousness!

It is not actually possible to be self-righteous:

Only to have an attitude or outlook that is self-righteous:

By nature we possess nothing of goodness, cannot even formulate one good thought:

All we have that is our own is sin and its consequences:

So we MUST have help from God in a million different ways to be good and holy:

We need God to give us grace, virtues, strength, and all our needs!

We need God to give us faith:
We need God to give us hope:
We need God to give us charity:
We need God to give us grace:
We need God to give us strength:

And so ALL honour, glory, and thanksgiving MUST be into God!

Scripture:

1 cor 4:7
For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

We must be united with Christ the only mediator of the only covenant in grace thru faith & baptism: Heb 3:14 partakers with Christ!

Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 1 cor 12:13 gal 3:27 Titus 3:5
1 Peter 3:20-21

Grace enables us to be holy, pure, and righteous:

We must surrender our free will to conform to God’s will, deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him:

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Matthew 7:14
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

2 Timothy 2:19
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity!

Matt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

All good must be obtained from God:

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Apart from Christ we can do nothing:

Jn 15:5
apart from me you can do nothing:

United to Christ thru grace we can do good and become holy, pure, & sanctified, and our faith, works, (virtue, fasts, alms, prayer) are meritorious and we receive reward for them:

Matt 6:20
build up for yourselves treasure in heaven.

Matt 6:33
seek yes first the kingdom of God and his righteousness.

Romans 2:6
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Matt 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

We must suffer with Christ:

Luke 24:26
Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

John 15:20
Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ (our participation) in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Matt 24:13 he who endures unto the end shall be saved.

Matthew 7:19-23 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'”

Matthew 10:22 “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Matthew 24:9-13 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

1 Corinthians 9:27 “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Self-righteous is only an accusation by those who accuse Christians of earning salvation against those who obey and are faithful!

We must avoid the near occasions of sin:

Examples:

If you ask for the grace to be sober and not a drunkard, but go to the bar everyday after work you are not being faithful. Or if you ask the grace to be pure, you must have custody of the eyes and not look upon every woman you pass with lust, or keep a stack a nude magazines in you’re house, remove the temptations!

This is not earning salvation but being faithful, worthy of the grace of God!

We must ask the grace of daily Perseverance in God’s grace and to conform to His will, and to ask daily for final perseverance in God’s grace!

Ask and you shall receive, deliver us oh Lord from all evil!

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

We must choose to love God!

My God I believe, adore, hope, & love Thee, I ask pardon for those who do not believe, adore, hope, & love Thee!

All honour, glory, and thanksgiving to God for His infinite goodness unto man!

Praise to the divine heart of Jesus, that wrought our salvation!

Blessed be God!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a work, I just explained it to you.
And I just explained to you that it is different in that believing is the only thing you can do that will justify, while any and all other work can not and will not make you righteous. Only receiving the forgiveness of God through believing in that forgiveness can do that. There is no other thing you can do that will secure the righteousness that is from God. Believing all by itself does that, just as it did for Abraham our example. All other work is only the evidence that you have the righteousness that comes from God without work.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God , as in the case of Lydia, the seller of purple in Acts, has to open the heart for one to not only hear but to believe the Gospel.......

“Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him”
And JESUS said , marvel not , no man can come unto me lest the Father draw Him . For by grace ye are saved .
God draws us to the biblical Christ . If any man or any woman was drawn to another jesus , GOD DIDNT DRAW THOSE
the lusts of their own heart drew them to a jesus that accepts their sin .
The question is ..........WHAT CHRIST , WHAT JESUS , WHAT GOSPEL are folks following . Cause if its contrary
to the biblical one and pattern , IT AINT JESUS and it AINT NO GOSPEL and it AINT CHRIST .
Satan knows how to present another jesus and another gospel . He has many leading in the churches that present
another jesus , all the time . SO my advice remains the same till the last breath or JESUS DOES COME .
We better get in our bibles and stay in our bibles . Learn and grow and let no man deceive .

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This should be properly interpreted in context. Why did Christ say this? He was responding to this question: Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

The Jews of Christ's time had been taught by their religious leaders that they could merit eternal life (salvation) by good works. So when Christ said "This is the work of God" He could have meant one of two things: (a) salvation is the work of God and man cannot do anything to merit salvation, or (b) the only work which God expects is "no work" but simple faith in Christ. By no stretch of the imagination is "faith" (believing and trusting God and Christ) a work. According to Scripture it is "a non-work" (to coin a term).

So all we are required to de is believe?

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God , as in the case of Lydia, the seller of purple in Acts, has to open the heart for one to not only hear but to believe the Gospel.......

“Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him”

excellent but you must respond

We must surrender our free will to conform to God’s will, deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him:

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all we are required to de is believe?
To be made righteous, yes.
The righteousness that comes from God is secured entirely by faith without works (Romans 4:6).
Abraham, our example, did nothing to be justified except believe God's promise about a son.
Later, what he did justified him as having that righteousness (James 2:18, James 2:21).

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
excellent but you must respond

Once again The CC can speak truth .
That is your new name my friend , till you repent and come to Christ .
Your right we must surrender our free will to conform to Gods will , NOT THE CC WILLS , not mens will , not praying to saints and mary
cause that AINT GODS WILL . HURRY my friend , HURRY and flee that pit and never look back .

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another scripture that shows that ones Faith/Believing is Gods Work Jn 6:29 is found in Eph 1:19-20

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead
, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Now the punctuation isnt inspired, so if we move out the comma in Vs 19 it would read :

And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe according to the working of his mighty power,

Its easy to see that the usward believe according to Gods exceeding great power, and the working of His mighty power !

So then Faith/Believing is not of ourselves, then believing in that respect, is contrasted to our works !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ones Believing in Christ for Salvation is Gods work. Its not of man !

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I just explained to you that it is different in that believing is the only thing you can do that will justify, while any and all other work can not and will not make you righteous. Only receiving the forgiveness of God through believing in that forgiveness can do that. There is no other thing you can do that will secure the righteousness that is from God. Believing all by itself does that, just as it did for Abraham our example. All other work is only the evidence that you have the righteousness that comes from God without work.
Again, Faith/believing in Christ is by grace.