• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By what standard is one considered to have veracity? Only God knows the relationship between himself and his children. I don't think that God is using an abacus to count our works. Perhaps I am missing something, or I have misunderstood you. That is not my intention.
Sorry SG, I thought that I was clear. Salvation is by faith alone. ...but, how does one determine the authenticity of one's faith? This, I believe, is what James was addressing. Like love, which cannot be verified by measuring apparatuses, is evident by how one treats another. Similarly, faith, if real, cannot go unnoticed.
Thus, James was denouncing those who claimed to have faith, but showed their contempt, or lack of faith, by their ignoble works. James' epistle was not a prescription on the necessity to supplement faith with works, but predominantly, a rebuke to those who were mocking faith with a shallow or void conviction.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're joking, right? You read my post, and determined that I was advocating that salvation is derived from works?

I do know and understand that you have been a Jehovah's Witness; and I know also that they specifically teach salvation by works.

Sorry SG, I thought that I was clear. Salvation is by faith alone. ...but, how does one determine the authenticity of one's faith? This, I believe, is what James was addressing. Like love, which cannot be verified by measuring apparatuses, is evident by how one treats another. Similarly, faith, if real, cannot go unnoticed.
Thus, James was denouncing those who claimed to have faith, but showed their contempt, or lack of faith, by their ignoble works. James epistle was not a prescription on the necessity to supplement faith with works, but predominantly a rebuke to those who were mocking faith with a shallow or void conviction.

I would only say to this that the authenticity of one's faith before God is not tested by works...God sees our fatih whether we have works or whether we do not have works. For man looks on the outward appearance; but God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Therefore, our justification by works is before man and not God (Romans 4:2).

God sees our faith irrespective of works...man sees whether we have faith by the works that we do.

Thus Abraham was justified by works before man (Romans 4:2); and yet before God he was justified only by his faith (Romans 4:3).

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do know and understand that you have been a Jehovah's Witness; and I know also that they specifically teach salvation by works.
I would only say to this that the authenticity of one's faith before God is not tested by works...God sees our fatih whether we have works or whether we do not have works. For man looks on the outward appearance; but God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).
Therefore, our justification by works is before man and not God (Romans 4:2).
God sees our faith irrespective of works...man sees whether we have faith by the works that we do.
Thus Abraham was justified by works before man (Romans 4:2); and yet before God he was justified only by his faith (Romans 4:3).
You lack perception and discernment JBF, I'm not JW, nor advocating salvation by works, nor any rendition of such a principle.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You lack perception and discernment JBF, I'm not JW, nor advocating salvation by works, nor any rendition of such a principle.
Ok my bad...it seemed to me that at one point you denied Christ's Deity; so I assumed that you also held to doctrines that go along with that. But of course ass/u/me is the very real spelling of that word.

So I will take my foot out of my mouth now.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok my bad...it seemed to me that at one point you denied Christ's Deity; so I assumed that you also held to doctrines that go along with that. But of course ass/u/me is the very real spelling of that word.

So I will take my foot out of my mouth now.
I absolutely, unequivocally and utterly vehemently, deny Christ's divinity!!!! And, the personhood of the Holy Spirit. There is only one divine being in the entire universe, and that is God the Father. Any other sentiment or conviction other than this, is blasphemy!
This does not by necessity, make me JW. I am not JW, I am Christian, and adamantly non-denominational. No name comes before Jesus Christ's, as far as any appellations are concerned. Only Jesus Christ, the 275% man, saves from eternal perdition.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question. Are you saved by Jesus' blood, or baptism?
That's like asking, "Were you saved at sea from the boat or from the Captain of the boat?"

We are saved BY the Blood of Christ.
Baptism is the MEANS by which we enter into Christ and are born again (John 3:5, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, 1 Pet. 3:21).

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Spurgeon's Girl

Sep 18, 2020
CHANDLER
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus, James was denouncing those who claimed to have faith, but showed their contempt, or lack of faith, by their ignoble works. James epistle was not a prescription on the necessity to supplement faith with works, but predominantly a rebuke to those who were mocking faith with a shallow or void conviction.

Mea Culpa. I did misunderstand. This post of yours is completely spot on.

God Speed

Reactions: DNB

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife,

For the most part I am basically ignoring you...

Although I do not have the Ignore button pressed as concerning your posts and therefore you are not on Ignore per se...it is just that I am not going to be responding to your posts very much unless I feel compelled to do so.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife,

For the most part I am basically ignoring you...

Although I do not have the Ignore button pressed as concerning your posts and therefore you are not on Ignore per se...it is just that I am not going to be responding to your posts very much unless I feel compelled to do so.
Ahhhh - here we go again with your obsessions . . .

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No he's not Behold, James is emphatically stating, that due to the unquantifiable nature of faith, like love, which cannot be measured or determined by statistics, it must therefore be validated by one's works.
Many were professing to have faith, but their works undermined their integrity. James was asserting that without works, salvation was unattainable, because the works, or lack of, discredited the faith.
Salvation is by faith alone, this is an extremely profound concept, for again, the veracity of one's faith cannot be assessed by a meter or graph. Thus, faith, like love, which equally cannot be measured or legislated, if you defy it's principles within your actions, then you have declared that you don't have faith.

it is God who saves thru grace! Grace give both faith and works merit

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cannot come to God on the basis of our own merit; but we can come to the Lord on the basis of the imputed merits of Jesus Christ's perfect life and crucifixion in our place.