Jehovah is either God or He is not, correct?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a total waste of time trying to show anti-Trinitarians how wrong and foolish they are. A fool always returns to his folly. As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly. (Proverbs 26:11)

Well when God says to end it- I agree. but unless we present teh truth- they will never have a chance at all. Who knows what the true Word of God can do in these peoples lives. As long as they wish to discuss and until God tell sme to pull the plug, I am compelled to move forward. I was an atheist or at best agnostic when someone spent lots of time with the Word to me.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moffatts Bible. He is not a linguist. He holds a Doctor of Divinity. He alone translated His Bible and not even a student of Greek. Thei is a paraphrase,not a translation from a scholar.

Schoenfield bible- Another non linguist paraphraser. He also wrote "The Passover Plot" in which He said that Jesus tried ot manipulate HImself to fulfill prophecies to get people to believe He was Messiah. You really shouldn't want to use Him as an expert witness for you cause. He also was a globalist in His day

Goodspeed bible another non linguist paraphraser. While all other translations use between 40-100 language scholars, Good speeds bible only had himself and Smith. Notwithstanding What Goodspeed did was grammatically correct. He was showing Jesus is God in nature and not the Father. god and divine can be used interchangably they both mean the same.

Concise commentary bible R.Young-1885-- not taught in Greek Language

John 1:1 from the 1863 Literal translation: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

new test in Greek and English-1822- no results in a web search- so this is nothing

New test improved version-1808- follows the JW opinion of John 1:1, it is a work based on the paraphrase by Archbishop Newcome by Edward Nares. Niether one was a greek scholar.

YOu have a reference source that is bereft of expertise in understanding language.

Here is a website that shows 46 English bibles translated by a minimum of 15 Greek scholars on the translation teams.

John 1:1 Parallel: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (biblehub.com)

they all show why you are wrong!

They all got it right. Trinity believing Greek scholars you are referring to. Others say-a god is correct-Why is that? Since they all know Greek. The differential is why--Ho Theos in the second line-plain Theos in the last line.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is in violation of the rule: [*]Denominational Posts – Excessive posts either attempting to either push a single denomination (or group) or attacking another denomination are included in this rule.

This is Jehovah's Witness excessively pushing their unbiblical position.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is in violation of the rule: [*]Denominational Posts – Excessive posts either attempting to either push a single denomination (or group) or attacking another denomination are included in this rule.

This goes on all the time!! I have had to put one guy (not JW)on ignore because not only did he try to shove his church down my throat, and say salvation comes only through that church, but he also starting sending me in-forum emails, telling me the reason I didn't join his church was pride. One has control and can report unwelcome emails, but there are threads that have been allowed for ages to stand, which would violate this that you quoted.. Anytime a thread is titled with the name of a religion, it is gonna happen. Your only defense is the Word of God and a few well placed zingers, if you want. they (sarcasms) are allowed, according to the rules.
It's the sirs, ma'ams, and the condescension that bothers me. I see no love of the Lord in any of it.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jehovah's witnesses is a faith sir, legally registered in most countries. We use the Bible in our posts, and of course every one of us believe that we are God's people, the one faith of Eph 4:5. Obviously you disagree with that which is of course your choice. The Bible identifies the faith beyond any doubt, and each of us choose which God we will serve, and how we go about it.

We of course encourage you to examine what we say in light of the Bible, but certainly do not, or in actuality can not push you into believing the way we do. Jehovah don't do it, Jesus didn't do it, why should we as his disciples do it? That would be contrary to free will.

I am here to help you understand our beliefs, and you made the statement that we have an unBiblical position, I will be glad to address that, if you will simply state an area where you think we are being unBilbical and I will give you the scriptural reason why we believe the way we do. Please feel free to ask anything about us, any Jehovah's witness that posts here is willing to respond if you don't feel comfortable in asking me.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Keiw

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We of course encourage you to examine what we say in light of the Bible, but certainly do not, or in actuality can not push you into believing the way we do. Jehovah don't do it, Jesus didn't do it, why should we as his disciples do it? That would be contrary to free will.
Oh I have, you don't believe the Bible, in fact, you had to change the Bible and come up with your own translation.
I am here to help you understand our beliefs, and you made the statement that we have an umBiblical position, I will be glad to address that, if you will simply state an area where you think we are being unBilbical and I will give you the scriptural reason why we believe the way we do. Please feel free to ask anything about us, any Jehovah's witness that posts here is willing to respond if you don't feel comfortable in asking me.
yhour whole religion is a false religion.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is violation right here. There is only ONE God.

A violation for stating the truths of the Bible? What do you say 1 Cor 8:5 says? I say that there are multiple gods, but I also say that there are only 2 Gods who have real followers. The Bible backs up my statement sir, as everybody will either gain life by worshipping and serving Jehovah or they will be cast into the lake of fire prepared for the devil and those who belong to him. Is than not what the Bible really teaches. If you think discussing Bible truths on a Bible study forum is a violation, perhaps you have selected the wrong forum to post in. I am truly sorry you feel this way, but there are people here who truly are seeking to know God better, and promoting censorship will certainly not help the situation, correct?

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I have, you don't believe the Bible, in fact, you had to change the Bible and come up with your own translation.

yhour whole religion is a false religion.

I fully agree that many translations have been altered to promote a doctrinal teaching. For instance every single Bible that translates John 1:1 as the Word was God, translated Acts 28:6 which was written the same way as a god. Why do you suppose that is sir? Is it not to promote Jesus as being God, rather than being God's son? I personally believe it was a deliberate alteration, and simple research will reveal the truth or falsehood of my statement.

Check that same version at Ps 110:1 which is very easy to see the alteration, it is properly rendered Jehovah said to my Lord, why does your selected version replace YHWH with Adonai Re? Do you think they did not know how to properly translate it? Was it deliberate, and why do you suppose they did that?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Bible wrong to state: (Exodus 20:5) . . .for I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion. . .

Was Jesus wrong to state: (Matthew 4:10) . . .“Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”
(Luke 10:27) . . .“‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole strength and with your whole mind’ . . .

Are we in error when we Christians say: (1 Corinthians 8:6) . . .there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ. . .
Hello brother of sincerity and honesty:

Is the Bible wrong to state: (Exodus 20:5) . . .for I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion. . .

No.

Was Jesus wrong to state: (Matthew 4:10) . . .“Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

Yes. Jesus said to worship the Lord our God, not Yehovah.

The Lord God is now known by His name Jesus, and no more in Scripture forever more by Yehovah. Except we read of Him being called such in the OT only.

(Luke 10:27) . . .“‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole strength and with your whole mind’ . . .

Dittoes no. In the OT, the children of Israel were commanded to love Yehovah God. In the NT and forever more we are commanded to love the Lord our God: God and the Lamb sitting in the one and same throne.

So, you want to say the Lord God of the NT is the LORD God in the old, but is not the Lord Jesus Christ: you want to translate Kurios for Yehovah to be God only, and Kurios for Lord to be Jesus Christ only.

Other than the false translation of Yehovah for Kurios, to accommodate your doctrine, it would be insincere and disingenuous to not admit that God could well have kept His name Yehovah in any Scripture He wished, whether Old or New testament, could He not?

Could He not have written in Scripture Yehovah in the places that you want Yehovah to be written? Was it too hard for God to do so with Apostles, who wrote the New testament first to Jews, who also well knew Hebrew of old, and who did include certain Hebrew words of old at the will of God?

In any case, you wish to distinguish between the LORD Yehovah as the only Lord God, and the Lord Jesus Christ who is not the Lord God:

And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

O Lord GOD, thou hast begun to shew thy servant thy greatness, and thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works, and according to thy might?

Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?

Who is this Lord and Lord God that Abraham, Moses, and David spoke with? Not Yehovah?

Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap.

And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

And who is this Lord that was prophesied to come in the day of the LORD, with that of Elijah before him in Malachi, and in wrath to smite the earth with a curse. Not Jehovah LORD?

Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

Thus saith the Lord; No stranger, uncircumcised in heart, nor uncircumcised in flesh, shall enter into my sanctuary, of any stranger that is among the children of Israel.

And pour out His Spirit upon Israel, and to fill the temple with His glory during His reign on earth in Ezekiel? Not Yehovah LORD?

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

And finally with the first coming of that Lord, who is this Lord whose glory and Spirit are with us today?

It certainly is not the LORD Yehovah, if indeed the LORD Yehovah is not the Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello brother of sincerity and honesty:

No.

Yes. Jesus said to worship the Lord our God, not Yehovah.

Sorry for deleting the rest of your post Rob, but this needs to be addressed which will of course bring to light what the rest said. Jesus stated at Mat 4:10 it was written, and then quoted it, so then all you need to know is where the written passage was that Jesus quoted, are you familiar sir?
Likely you would agree Jesus would not alter what is written, rather he would quote it exactly to satan, so what did Jesus quote to satan there?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

ONE man:
Has MANY names, MANY titles, MANY descriptions.

Our ONE Lord God Almighty:

Is God “ever called by the Name Jehovah”? Sure.
Ex 6:
[
3] And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Examples;
EL, ELOAH [el, el-oh-ah]: God "mighty, strong, prominent"
ELOHIM [el-oh-heem]: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong”
EL SHADDAI [el-shah-dahy]: “God Almighty”
ADONAI [ˌædɒˈnaɪ; ah-daw-nahy]: “Lord”
YHWH / YAHWEH / [yah-way]: “LORD”
YHWH /JEHOVAH [ ji-hoh-veh]: “LORD”
YAHWEH-JIREH [yah-way-ji-reh]: "The Lord Will Provide"
YAHWEH-RAPHA [yah-way-raw-faw]: "The Lord Who Heals"
YAHWEH-NISSI [yah-way-nee-see]: "The Lord Our Banner"
YAHWEH-M'KADDESH [yah-way-meh-kad-esh]: "The Lord Who Sanctifies, Makes Holy"
YAHWEH-SHALOM [yah-way-shah-lohm]: "The Lord Our Peace"
YAHWEH-ELOHIM [yah-way-el-oh-him]: "LORD God"
YAHWEH-TSIDKENU [yah-way-tzid-kay-noo]: "The Lord Our Righteousness”
YAHWEH-ROHI [yah-way-roh-hee]: "The Lord Our Shepherd"
YAHWEH-SHAMMAH [yah-way-sham-mahw]: "The Lord Is There”
YAHWEH-SABAOTH [yah-way-sah-bah-ohth]: "The Lord of Hosts"
EL ELYON [el-el-yohn]: “Most High"
EL ROI [el-roh-ee]: "God of Seeing"
EL-OLAM [el-oh-lahm]: "Everlasting God"
EL-GIBHOR [el-ghee-bohr]: “Mighty God”

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry for deleting the rest of your post Rob, but this needs to be addressed which will of course bring to light what the rest said. Jesus stated at Mat 4:10 it was written, and then quoted it, so then all you need to know is where the written passage was that Jesus quoted, are you familiar sir?
Likely you would agree Jesus would not alter what is written, rather he would quote it exactly to satan, so what did Jesus quote to satan there?
Sorry for deleting the rest of your post Rob, but this needs to be addressed which will of course bring to light what the rest said.

I.e. you need time to come up with an answer, which is fine. Take all the time you need. The post is still there for you to review.

So what did Jesus quote to satan there?

Do I need to quote the Greek for you?

Translating Scripture by doctrinal interpretation does not prove the doctrine. At all. The doctrine must first be proven in order to have any basis for doing so.

Ex: if the 'Rapture' were a proven Scriptural doctrine of translation from one state to another in a moment of time, then we could interpret being translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of Light as being raptured from one to another. But we could never accurately translate it as such.

It must first be proven that Yehovah only is the only name known for God, in order to try and translate Kurios from Lord to Yehova, which of course is not translatable with any accuracy.

The truth is simple: Yehovah no more appears in Scripture after Malachi. Nor does Adonis, nor Elohim. And I have no clue where this 'unspeakable' name Yahweh comes from other than just another stupid Jewish tradition. I haven't found it anywhere in Scripture of truth.

And so, the only name of the Lord God after the God of Israel was made flesh is Jesus. We now have God, the Father, the Word Son and Lamb Jesus, and the Holy Ghost.

This is all intellectually fun for now; however, it will be no longer productive, if you don't go ahead and answer my question:

Who is the Lord God in the OT? Is He the LORD Yehovah or not? If so, who is the Lord of glory in the NT?

The point of course being: Who is it that fulfilled, or shall fulfill the prophecies that the LORD God of the OT said He Personally would do on earth?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

ONE man:

Ex 6:
[
3] And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Examples;
Good response.

Don't forget Kurios Jesus, which is now the only name for God in Scripture everlasting:

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come...Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The Lord God is no longer known by His name Yehovah, but now has only one name: Jesus.

This Jehova people are trying to worship is an idol.

YHWH

Where is that in Scripture?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

ONE man:

Ex 6:
[

Examples;

Jehovah has only one name sir, and like you pointed out many titles

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry for deleting the rest of your post Rob, but this needs to be addressed which will of course bring to light what the rest said.

I.e. you need time to come up with an answer, which is fine. Take all the time you need. The post is still there for you to review.

So what did Jesus quote to satan there?

Do I need to quote the Greek for you?

Translating Scripture by doctrinal interpretation does not prove the doctrine. At all. The doctrine must first be proven in order to have any basis for doing so.

Ex: if the 'Rapture' were a proven Scriptural doctrine of translation from one state to another in a moment of time, then we could interpret being translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of Light as being raptured from one to another. But we could never accurately translate it as such.

It must first be proven that Yehovah only is the only name known for God, in order to try and translate Kurios from Lord to Yehova, which of course is not translatable with any accuracy.

The truth is simple: Yehovah no more appears in Scripture after Malachi. Nor does Adonis, nor Elohim. And I have no clue where this 'unspeakable' name Yahweh comes from other than just another stupid Jewish tradition. I haven't found it anywhere in Scripture of truth.

And so, the only name of the Lord God after the God of Israel was made flesh is Jesus. We now have God, the Father, the Word Son and Lamb Jesus, and the Holy Ghost.

This is all intellectually fun for now; however, it will be no longer productive, if you don't go ahead and answer my question:

Who is the Lord God in the OT? Is He the LORD Yehovah or not? If so, who is the Lord of glory in the NT?

The point of course being: Who is it that fulfilled, or shall fulfill the prophecies that the LORD God of the OT said He Personally would do on earth?

No sir, a simple answer to my question will suffice. What Jesus quoted of course was not originally written in Greek however.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sir, a simple answer to my question will suffice. What Jesus quoted of course was not originally written in Greek however.
No sir, a simple answer to my question will suffice.

No, Jehovah is never written in the NT by name.

What Jesus quoted of course was not originally written in Greek however.

And you have the original Aramaic of Matthew to read Jehovah's name there?

Show any manuscript Scripture of the NT where Jehovah's name is written, whether it be an original or copy.

And Luke certainly wrote in Greek:

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

If you are saying that Matthew 'must have' originally written Yehovah in the Aramaic, for which there is no evidence, then you are not only basing an interpretative doctrine on nothing that exists, but you are also saying Matthew and Luke are not in agreement.

This is the 3rd time I make this point: If God had wanted His name of Yehovah to be written in Scripture of the NT, He would have done so, even as He did with other Hebrew words, and were translated for the Greek readers. He would have had both Matthew and Luke do so.

Why did He not?

This is also the 3rd time I ask the question: Who is the Lord God of the OT and the Lord of glory in the New?

If not the LORD Yehovah, then who?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sir, a simple answer to my question will suffice.

No, Jehovah is never written in the NT by name.

What Jesus quoted of course was not originally written in Greek however.

And you have the original Aramaic of Matthew to read Jehovah's name there?

Show any manuscript Scripture of the NT where Jehovah's name is written, whether it be an original or copy.

And Luke certainly wrote in Greek:

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

If you are saying that Matthew 'must have' originally written Yehovah in the Aramaic, for which there is no evidence, then you are not only basing an interpretative doctrine on nothing that exists, but you are also saying Matthew and Luke are not in agreement.

This is the 3rd time I make this point: If God had wanted His name of Yehovah to be written in Scripture of the NT, He would have done so, even as He did with other Hebrew words, and were translated for the Greek readers. He would have had both Matthew and Luke do so.

Why did He not?

This is also the 3rd time I ask the question: Who is the Lord God of the OT and the Lord of glory in the New?

If not the LORD Yehovah, then who?

I disagree sir, you are stating point blank that the inspired writer of Matthew would have altered the passage that Jesus quoted, or that Jesus himself would have stated it incorrectly. So where do we go from here Rob?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree sir, you are stating point blank that the inspired writer of Matthew would have altered the passage that Jesus quoted, or that Jesus himself would have stated it incorrectly. So where do we go from here Rob?
Nowhere on this point.

So, who is the Lord God of the OT and the Lord of glory of the New?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.