Jesus Christ And The Ten Commandment.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
In this forum, When i talk about the ten commandments, most people bring in Jesus Christ. Did Jesus Christ condemn the ten commandments? or Should I not obey the ten Commandments if i believe in Jesus Christ? Please i need your opinions on this.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[bible=Matthew 5:17-19]
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. or truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.[/bible]

I'd really recommend reading the remainder of Matthew 5 if not the entire chapter. Elsewhere, in Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus sums up the law in two major things; Love God first and foremost and love your neighbor - which is effectively what the 10 Commandments say. If you carry out both of these commands, then following the 10 Commandments will flow quite naturally. The first quote is to illustrate that unlike many will have you believe, Jesus fulfilled and did not change the law. The difference is we are forgiven, but that is not free license to go out and do them asking for forgiveness later.

gator347

May 7, 2008
[bible=Matthew 5:17-19]
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. or truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.[/bible]

I'd really recommend reading the remainder of Matthew 5 if not the entire chapter. Elsewhere, in Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus sums up the law in two major things; Love God first and foremost and love your neighbor - which is effectively what the 10 Commandments say. If you carry out both of these commands, then following the 10 Commandments will flow quite naturally. The first quote is to illustrate that unlike many will have you believe, Jesus fulfilled and did not change the law. The difference is we are forgiven, but that is not free license to go out and do them asking for forgiveness later.

HAMMERSTONE - Right on target.

If you love the Lord with ALL (ALL means ALL thats ALL, ALL means)your heart, mind & strength and you Love your neighbor as yourself please tell me which of the "Big Ten" you can ignor?

But that is how we are to live but because He fulfilled the LAW we don't have to pay the price if we DO screw up.

HOW COOL IS THAT?
biggrin.gif

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
In this forum, When i talk about the ten commandments, most people bring in Jesus Christ. Did Jesus Christ condemn the ten commandments? or Should I not obey the ten Commandments if i believe in Jesus Christ? Please i need your opinions on this.

Hello judd.

I agree with hammerstone, that the law was not abolished by the Lord, although He fulfilled it personally.

All Israel is under the mandate to do the same.

Right now, with their rejection as of the Messiah and His Apostles, it is a dead issue for everyone.

When He returns it will once again be pivotal as Israel begins to rule over the earth and the nations as channels of blessing and healing.

The Law was never given to us to follow, it is Jewish, belonging to God's people.

We have always been without the Law, strangers, aliens, foreigners to the Promises of God as Gentiles.

Only Paul's prophetic writings apply for today. He was commissioned by God's Son out of heaven for us to follow as He followed Christ.

How he did that is minutely detailed in the letters he wrote to us.

The word must be rightly divided for a proper understanding of God's ways.

All scripture is inspired of God, profitable for correction and reproof and doctrine and understanding of Who God the Father and His Son are.

The Lord Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel, not the gentiles.

He used Paul to complete the word of God for man.

All of God's Word was written for us;
Most of it was not written to us.
Only Paul has the truth for today.
fivesense

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Judd,

Others here have given some good counsel.

I think you would do well to clearly understand that Christ is the God of the old testament and it was He who gave the Ten Commandments to Moses. That should clarify how He really felt in regards to those commandments.