Jesus Christ; The son of man? or the Son of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Often in the gospels Jesus was referred to as the son of man.. My question is why was he called this? what does it mean? and who is he to you? the Son of God or of man?

*I have my own beleifs to why he was referred to as the son of man, he simply didnt want to draw too much attention to himself his claim of being Gods Son brought persecution to him, I also feel like there were those who couldnt accept him as the Son of God through unbeleif.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a tip. Check the greek for both.
rolleyes.gif
Hope this helps. As far as the attention being drawn to himself you are a great path. The scripture supports this. Look into proverbs about a faithful spirit, and be reminded about when Jesus casted out devils what he told the person he cast them out of. Be lead by the Holy Spirit in your searches, and be joy in your path.

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Who do you distinguish him as though? was he just a powerless man? Or was he the Son of God with power and glory?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I see no reason to choose one over the other. Both are true. He is fully man and He is fully God. I would not attempt to limit Him to one or the other.

Right, both are true.

Matt 22:41-45
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
42 Saying, "What think ye of Christ? whose son is He?" They say unto Him, "The Son of David."
43 He saith unto them, "How then doth David in spirit call Him Lord, saying,
44 'The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool'?
45 If David then call Him Lord, how is He his son?"
46 And no man was able to answer Him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask Him any more questions.
(KJV)

Our Lord Jesus asked the Pharisees who they thought Christ is. And they claimed He is only "The Son of David." Then Jesus reminded them of Psalms 110 where David called Christ his Lord, and how The Father would exalt Him to the right hand of His Throne, a spot only belonging to God. So how could Christ be David's son He asked them?

Our Lord was actually calling them to task on the Isaiah 7 prophecy that Christ would be born through a virgin, of the house of David. If they had agreed with the Isaiah prophecy, and with David in the Psalms, they would be admitting that Jesus was The Christ, and that He was born of a virgin (Mary) like the prophecy stated. They refused to believe the prophecy, so they also refused to answer our Lord's question there.

Matt 16:13-16
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?"
14 And they said, "Some say that Thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets."
15 He saith unto them, "But whom say ye that I am?"
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."
(KJV)

In the above, our Lord Jesus refers to Himself as "the Son of man". That's pointing to His being born a flesh man through a virgin, coming in the flesh by The Holy Spirit.

Because some of the Jews believed Jesus was Elijah, or Jeremiah, or one of the prophets, it reveals some of the Jews had the error doctrine of reincarnation, a pointer to pagan influence among the priests of that time (which came from the Babylonian captivity). The Old Testament Scripture does not support the doctrine of reincarnation anywhere.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Who do you distinguish him as though? was he just a powerless man? Or was he the Son of God with power and glory?
He certainly wasn't powerless as a man. He raised the dead and worked incredible miracles. He was indeed the Son of God and the Son of man. Modern Christianity is mostly powerless, even though Jesus said:

John 14:12 (ESV)
[sup]12 [/sup]“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
"Son of Man" was actually a title. You see in the OT the Jews were expecting, well, three different people to come and play a part in the redemption of Israel. That's why they were so confused at Jesus' claims and couldn't believe who He was....why the disciples themselves we so slow to realisation!
The Messiah (also known as the Christ, the Anointed One) was going to be a mighty King, a descendant of David, who would through might free them from enslavement. He would be human, but a greater king than David even! Then there was the 'suffering servant', not talked about a lot in the OT, but seen in Isaiah 53. It talks of how this man would be humble and passive, how he will suffer and die for the transgressions of many. It was not generally perceived that the suffering servant was connected with the Messiah, but of course in hindsight we know better!
The third person is the "Son of Man" who we see in Daniel. The Son of Man was considered to be a heavenly being, all powerful, who would come. In Daniel 7:13-14 it says:

[The Son of Man Is Given Dominion]
[13] “I saw in the night visions,
and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
[14] And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.
(Daniel 7:13-14 ESV)

Many circles in Judaism interpreted this figure in individualistic terms. The Son of Man became a Heavenly figure who had been preserved in the presence of God. In God's time he would come to earth to raise the dead, to judge the wicked, to redeem God's people and gather them into a glorious, everlasting Kingdom.

It's easy for us to see how all these figure are Christ! But back in Jesus' time the Jews expected them not to be one and the same.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
"Son of Man" was actually a title. You see in the OT the Jews were expecting, well, three different people to come and play a part in the redemption of Israel. That's why they were so confused at Jesus' claims and couldn't believe who He was....why the disciples themselves we so slow to realisation!
The Messiah (also known as the Christ, the Anointed One) was going to be a mighty King, a descendant of David, who would through might free them from enslavement. He would be human, but a greater king than David even! Then there was the 'suffering servant', not talked about a lot in the OT, but seen in Isaiah 53. It talks of how this man would be humble and passive, how he will suffer and die for the transgressions of many. It was not generally perceived that the suffering servant was connected with the Messiah, but of course in hindsight we know better!
The third person is the "Son of Man" who we see in Daniel. The Son of Man was considered to be a heavenly being, all powerful, who would come. In Daniel 7:13-14 it says:

[The Son of Man Is Given Dominion]
[13] “I saw in the night visions,
and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him.
[14] And to him was given dominion
and glory and a kingdom,
that all peoples, nations, and languages
should serve him;
his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
which shall not pass away,
and his kingdom one
that shall not be destroyed.
(Daniel 7:13-14 ESV)

Many circles in Judaism interpreted this figure in individualistic terms. The Son of Man became a Heavenly figure who had been preserved in the presence of God. In God's time he would come to earth to raise the dead, to judge the wicked, to redeem God's people and gather them into a glorious, everlasting Kingdom.

It's easy for us to see how all these figure are Christ! But back in Jesus' time the Jews expected them not to be one and the same.

But after Christ's crucifixion, still many of the Jews, and especially their religious leadership, refused to recognize the witness of Jesus as The Christ, even as it is today.

Herod, the chief priests and a band of the Pharisees and scribes determined to murder Jesus, BECAUSE of the prophecy, which showed what? It points to their knowing Who He was, which is why they were afraid of Him.

John 11:47-53
47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
48 If we let Him thus alone, all men will believe on Him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
52 And not for that nation only, but that also He should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put Him to death.
(KJV)

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010

But after Christ's crucifixion, still many of the Jews, and especially their religious leadership, refused to recognize the witness of Jesus as The Christ, even as it is today.

Herod, the chief priests and a band of the Pharisees and scribes determined to murder Jesus, BECAUSE of the prophecy, which showed what? It points to their knowing Who He was, which is why they were afraid of Him.

47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
48 If we let Him thus alone, all men will believe on Him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
52 And not for that nation only, but that also He should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put Him to death.(KJV)

That is an incredible account. It just shows how hardened human hearts can get.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

That is an incredible account. It just shows how hardened human hearts can get.

It's a good thing that our Heavenly Father and His Son are long-sufferring, and has much more patience than we could ever have. It's still my hope that the majority of unbelieving Judah will be turned to Jesus Christ and believe.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
He is fully man and He is fully God.
Sorry, but I have a problem with this old traditional Christian doctrine.

Names ...
"Jesus Christ" was the Second Person of the Trinity's name only while on earth.
"Son of God" is only a name or title; no one believes God ever had any offspring.
God in the OT, and Jesus in the NT, have many names/titles,
and about 10 of them are the same for both (in OT and NT).

If Jesus Christ on earth was "fully man",
He would have had our sin nature and could not have lived a sinless life.
(But, maybe Muslims are right ... there's no original sin.)

If Jesus Christ on earth was "fully God",
why was He always praying to Father God for help, guidance, etc.?
(But, maybe it was only to show us the way.)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus spoke Aramaic. There is an Aramaic portion in the book of Daniel that calls the coming of the Messiah...And one like a son of man came with the clouds....!

Daniel 7:13-1413 חזה הוית בחזוי ליליא וארו עם־ענני שׁמיא כבר אנשׁ אתה הוה ועד־עתיק יומיא מטה וקדמוהי הקרבוהי׃ 14 ולה יהיב שׁלטן ויקר ומלכו וכל עממיא אמיא ולשׁניא לה יפלחון שׁלטנה שׁלטן עלם די־לא יעדה ומלכותה פ [sup]13[/sup] I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of the sky one like a son of man (כבר אנש) and he came even to the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. [sup]14[/sup] There was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

So Jesus was claiming to be a regular guy AND the the Messiah simultaneously. He was saying I am not just LIKE a son of man I am THE son of man talked about by Daniel. :)

There is always more to Jesus' words than we think!

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian

(KJV)

Did anyone else pick up on this?

Caiaphas knew the Word of God, OT prophets testified in their writings the Son of Man/ the Son of God would die.....but for this priest Caiaphas...told them they knew nothing..for he knew the Truth..or just my humble opinion after just reading this...such a revelation....it seems he knew that the death of Jesus would bring all God's children together as one