Jesus Died for Judas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus Christ Shed His Blood for Judas
"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.
Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

Matthew's account has some more details;

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."
It is clear from Calvin’s comments on this verse, that Judas is included in the word “many”.

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup

And "It seems plain" to me that he did not eat the bread. Since it is not written it can "seem" anything really.

Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine

You went from "it seems" to "actually did take the bread". This is your assumption, which is not written.

Judas rejected the blood of the Lamb, that is why he went to his own place.

If you say Judas drank the blood:
-you say Jesus betrayed himself:

John 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

-you say Judas has eternal life:

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

So, Jesus offered His blood to Judas, told him to drink, but Judas rejected it.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction".
Why are you unnecessarily creating a straw man? Christ died for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD. He shed His blood for the sins of the whole world. So Judas, and Barabbas, and Pilate, and Caiaphas were all included. Does that mean that they all will not be in Hell? All those who reject Christ as Lord and Savior (including Judas the son of perdition) will be in Hell (John 3:36).

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you unnecessarily creating a straw man? Christ died for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD. He shed His blood for the sins of the whole world. So Judas, and Barabbas, and Pilate, and Caiaphas were all included. Does that mean that they all will not be in Hell? All those who reject Christ as Lord and Savior (including Judas the son of perdition) will be in Hell (John 3:36).

Blah, blah, blah. Your whole life is strawman.

I have a post for you, Pitiful. Since you don't have the guts or the decency to do anything but insult people's posts and then run off like a little coward, I have no choice but to bring the post to you.

Come discuss it, you little coward. You had the guts the start the fight, but you never have any to finish one. Isn't that right, you little Wimp?
Russian-Ukraine War: The West's Fault

Reactions: BarneyFife

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas

Interesting thoughts!
Paul says in 1 Corinthians 11 that on the night Jesus was betrayed, Jesus said:

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.[/quote]

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table. For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this." (Luke 22:14-23)

Note the important words that Jesus uses here, "But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table", which were spoken AFTER Jesus had given Judas the cup representing His blood, and the bread, that represents His death.
Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

"27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (chapter 26)

It is very clear from this, that Judas is also included in the "many" for whom Jesus died. This is also admitted to by John Calvin, where commenting on the same words in Mark's Gospel (14:24), says;

"Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race; for he contrasts many with one; as if he had said, that he will not be the Redeemer of one man only, but will die in order to deliver many from the condemnation of the curse."
It is clear from Calvin’s comments on this verse, that Judas is included in the word “many”.

It is also very interesting to read what two reformed commentators say on the passage in Luke's Gospel:

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

If, as some argue, that Jesus Christ did not shed His blood for anyone who has gone to hell, then this passage in Luke is incorrect, as it very clearly says that Jesus testifies that He DID shed His blood for Judas, who is called in the Bible, "the son of destruction". Note what Jesus says on the fate of Judas:

"While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12)

Also, we read of Judas in Acts 1:25, "to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

Peter in his Second Epistle also says, "But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction" (2:1). Which shows that there are those for whom Jesus shed His blood, that have ended up in eternal punishment.

It is important to note, that had Jesus not wished to include Judas in His death on the cross, then He would have waited for Judas to have left the room, which was not much later, and then said these words. However, Jesus, Who, as God Incarnate, knowing full well that Judas was about to betray Him, and that Judas would not be going to heaven for his treachery, made sure that Judas was not only present, but actually did take the bread and wine, that represent Jesus' death on the cross. Moreover, Jesus speaks the same words recorded above, in the hearing of Judas.

The fact is that Jesus died for the sins of the entire world, but Judas was given to Jesus by the Father, then was lost.

Some who Jesus bought, end up damned:

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew Henry,

John Gill

Jesus died for everyone, but not all receive Him. Drinking wine and eating bread isn't receiving Jesus Christ, it's just eating and drinking. The communion cup and bread is a remembrance of His sacrifice until He returns and a physical testimony of faith in Christ and His resurrection.
19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.
Luke 22:19-20

I understand that the Catholic Church has an elaborate theology of sacramental grace, but it just isn't found in scripture. The saints all have access to God the Father through faith in Jesus Christ and don't need priestly intermediaries. When Jesus died on the cross, the veil that separated the presence of God from men inside the temple, was torn from top to bottom. This represented the end of God's separation from man through the blood of the New Covenant.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died for everyone, but not all receive Him. Drinking wine and eating bread isn't receiving Jesus Christ, it's just eating and drinking. The communion cup and bread is a remembrance of His sacrifice until He returns and a physical testimony of faith in Christ and His resurrection.
19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.
Luke 22:19-20

I understand that the Catholic Church has an elaborate theology of sacramental grace, but it just isn't found in scripture. The saints all have access to God the Father through faith in Jesus Christ and don't need priestly intermediaries. When Jesus died on the cross, the veil that separated the presence of God from men inside the temple, was torn from top to bottom. This represented the end of God's separation from man through the blood of the New Covenant.

Jesus died for Judas sins just as surely as He died for the sins of Adolf Hitler.....So why are they both in Hell as we speak......they failed to “ cash- in” on what had been accomplished for them ....one “ cashes In “ to the Total forgiveness that is available for them with Faith n Jesus......Judas lacked that Faith and so did Hitler.....
They both rejected a free gift.....All they has to do was to Believe....

Had Judas turned to God instead of a hangman’s noose— he would be in Heaven this very day....

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died for Judas sins just as surely as He died for the sins of Adolf Hitler.....So why are they both in Hell as we speak......they failed to “ cash- in” on what had been accomplished for them ....one “ cashes In “ to the Total forgiveness that is available for them with Faith n Jesus......Judas lacked that Faith and so did Hitler.....

Had Judas turned to God instead of a hangman’s noose— he would be in Heaven this very day....
Maybe, but scripture doesn't actually say that anyone is in hell prior to the judgment at Christ's return, unless you believe that Hell is the same as the Hebrew Sheol or the Greek Hades. I'm unable to make that connection, but it could be true. However the Bible doesn't actually identify the place of the "lake of fire" or "Gehenna" (except as Jerusalem's garbage dump and fire pit) and all Christian teaching on hell tends to superimpose the pagan concepts upon scripture. There is however one passage that describes the Earth as being turned to Sheol in the judgment and another of the description of Babylon's eternal burning.

It's difficult for me to be dogmatic in anything unwritten in scripture because the imagination of man is only evil from our birth, and our natural tendency is to think the worst of God (or of anyone), rather than the best. Enmity is our natural state with God, but the propitiation in Christ's blood brings peace with Him.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And "It seems plain" to me that he did not eat the bread. Since it is not written it can "seem" anything really.

You went from "it seems" to "actually did take the bread". This is your assumption, which is not written.

John 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

So, Luke, a first rate historian is wrong, and you are right! :eek:

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

have you met a Calvinist yet? :D

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The fact is that Jesus died for the sins of the entire world, but Judas was given to Jesus by the Father, then was lost.

Some who Jesus bought, end up damned:

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

very true, and tragically SAD.

Reactions: Curtis

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What does Jesus say in Mark 1:15; Luke 13:1-5; 24:47 (NASB/EVS, have the original reading); and Peter in Acts 2:38?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting thoughts!
Paul says in 1 Corinthians 11 that on the night Jesus was betrayed, Jesus said:

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
[/QUOTE]
I think that the point is that anyone, believer or not, can eat a cracker or some unleavened bread and drink some wine in the public celebration of Christ's death and resurrection , but doing so with an unbelieving and unrepentant heart is making a false confession of faith in Christ. Likewise, harboring sin after having received Him also brings judgment for defiling the temple of our bodies (and by harboring, I mean refusing to agree with God that our sin is sin. )

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is a complete misunderstandinding of the promises for those who partake in the Eucharust, per John 6.

If John 6 were the ONLY Chapter in the NT - you would have a better case.
Unfortunately for your argumennt, though - Jesus ALSO said that we must -
- Be baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
- Pick up our cross daily to follow him (Matt. 16:24, Luke 9:23)
- Perform orks of mercy and charity (Matt. 19:21, 25:31–46, Luke 18:22)
- Obeying his commandments (John 14:15, 15:10)
- DO the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21, James 1:22)

The Bible also talks about the importance of Suffering with Christ (Matt. 10:38, 16:24, Mark 8:34, John 12:24, Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 1:5-7, Eph. 3:13, Phil. 1:29, 2 Tim. 1:8, 1 Peter 2:19-21, 4:1-2)

Eating His flesh and derinling His blood doesn't "guarsntee" sa single thing if you are disobedient in everything else He commanded of us.

Daniel L.

Feb 25, 2022
Lisboa
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
Unfortunately for your argumennt

So, you are only opposing to "Judas had eternal life" part of my argument, and why is this unfortunate?

Eating His flesh and derinling His blood doesn't "guarsntee" sa single thing if you are disobedient in everything else He commanded of us.

All the works you mention are the blood of Christ, he that does them, drinks the blood, and has eternal life. Judas sinned and so he didnt drank the blood, you cannot drink His blood and be disobedient at the same time. And im not talking about physical drink, Im talking about His blood which is love, and the keeping of the commandments, His words were spirit and life, not carnal.
And, even tho it is the love and obedience which is the blood of Christ, and not the physical drink, the reason why you still cannot say: Judas drank the physical drink, is because this was not your normal eucharist, this was the Son of the Living God telling you: "This is my blood" which refers back to:

So, because the Word of God is true, and Jesus said: "This is my blood", saying that Judas drank the blood is saying that he had eternal life and would be raised at the last day. And because he wasnt, but instead went to his own place, that means he did not drank the blood, nor the physical drink because the physical drink was called "My blood" by Jesus.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Jesus say in Mark 1:15; Luke 13:1-5; 24:47 (NASB/EVS, have the original reading); and Peter in Acts 2:38?
Some unlearned people who don’t want to repent of their sins, claim that none is needed, despite the words of Jesus, that He said He came to call sinners to repentance, said unless we repent we shall perish, told the apostles to go out to the world and teach repentance in His name, and another one i noticed recently that confirms the many other scriptures, such as Paul teaching repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus in Acts 20:21:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a complete misunderstandinding of the promises for those who partake in the Eucharust, per John 6.

If John 6 were the ONLY Chapter in the NT - you would have a better case.
Unfortunately for your argumennt, though - Jesus ALSO said that we must -
- Be baptized (Matt. 28:19-20, John 3:5, Rom. 2:29, Rom. 6:1-11, Col. 2:12-17, 1 Peter 3:21)
- Pick up our cross daily to follow him (Matt. 16:24, Luke 9:23)
- Perform orks of mercy and charity (Matt. 19:21, 25:31–46, Luke 18:22)
- Obeying his commandments (John 14:15, 15:10)
- DO the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21, James 1:22)

The Bible also talks about the importance of Suffering with Christ (Matt. 10:38, 16:24, Mark 8:34, John 12:24, Rom. 8:17, 2 Cor. 1:5-7, Eph. 3:13, Phil. 1:29, 2 Tim. 1:8, 1 Peter 2:19-21, 4:1-2)

Communion is a symbolic eating and drinking of the blood of Jesus as a REMEMBRANCE of His sacrifice of flesh and blood on the cross, and not a pagan vampire/ cannibal ritual.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you are only opposing to "Judas had eternal life" part of my argument, and why is this unfortunate?

All the works you mention are the blood of Christ, he that does them, drinks the blood, and has eternal life. Judas sinned and so he didnt drank the blood, you cannot drink His blood and be disobedient at the same time. And im not talking about physical drink, Im talking about His blood which is love, and the keeping of the commandments, His words were spirit and life, not carnal.
And, even tho it is the love and obedience which is the blood of Christ, and not the physical drink, the reason why you still cannot say: Judas drank the physical drink, is because this was not your normal eucharist, this was the Son of the Living God telling you: "This is my blood" which refers back to:

So, because the Word of God is true, and Jesus said: "This is my blood", saying that Judas drank the blood is saying that he had eternal life and would be raised at the last day. And because he wasnt, but instead went to his own place, that means he did not drank the blood, nor the physical drink because the physical drink was called "My blood" by Jesus.
No - Jesus meant His BLOOD - not a metaphor or syymbol.

In yhe Bread of Life Discourse in John 6- John doesn't use the normal word for human eating (Phagon). Heused the word, "Trogon" - which is the way an animal rips apart and gnaws on his food to accentuare Jesus's point here.

John 6:53-55
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

St. Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch was a lifeling student of the Apostle John.
On his way to Rome to be martyred at the beginning of the 2nd century, he wrote 7 letters to 7 churches - giving us a glimpse of what the Church looked like in the first century.

He wtote the following about the Eucharist:
Ignatius of Antioch

Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2-7:1 [A.D. 107]).

The Church has taught the Real PResence for 2000 - years.
The idea that it is NOT the Body and Blood of Christ is a relatively NEW invention . . .